Red Bull RB18

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ringo

Re: Red Bull RB18

vorticism wrote:
13 Apr 2022, 20:41
Why is there a hydraulic line connected to the springboard? Ignore the yellow arrows, look above the SS watermark.

https://i.imgur.com/6y4VU5G.png
It could be fluid refill line, or a drain. Easier access for the mechanics maybe?
For Sure!!

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

dialtone wrote:
12 Apr 2022, 19:29
godlameroso wrote:
12 Apr 2022, 18:33
dialtone wrote:
12 Apr 2022, 17:45

IMHO in both cases the bottom flap is higher profile on the Ferrari and the top flap is lower profile due to the spoon shape, it's super evident when compared to the Alpine but it's easy to see even against the RedBull.

The end result is that DRS activation doesn't benefit Ferrari as much as it does the other teams.
You catch my drift?

https://pic8.co/sh/JbefPE.jpg

http://properfabrications.com/assets/im ... f165e.jpeg
Yes I did, but I think it's less influential than the shape of the flap itself. The Ferrari DRS open has a very weird shape itself with the side tips flaring up and out, compared to the other teams that instead have an almost flat open DRS. I think this is more influential to drag than the shape of the corners.
The shape of flap itself on the ferrari is quite backed off for a significant portion of its width at the ends isnt it, so theres less drag there to lose to begin with. The RB flap in comparison is a relatively consistent AoA across its span. That same shape on the ferrari causes it to maintain a greater frontal area when opened compared to the redbull too.
Also it looks like the RB flap to mainplane chord ratio is larger too so theres potentially less drag from the mainplane when the flap is open also.

vorticism

ringo wrote:
13 Apr 2022, 23:36
vorticism wrote:
Why is there a hydraulic line connected to the springboard? Ignore the yellow arrows, look above the SS watermark.

It could be fluid refill line, or a drain. Easier access for the mechanics maybe?
Makes sense. That whole area seems like a service hub. They used to have an fluid tank in that area as well, previous season.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FPkkke_XEAQ ... ame=medium
𓄀

Big Tea

vorticism wrote:
14 Apr 2022, 00:27
ringo wrote:
13 Apr 2022, 23:36
vorticism wrote:

Makes sense. That whole area seems like a service hub. They used to have an fluid tank in that area as well, previous season.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FPkkke_XEAQ ... ame=medium
It is the lowest point on the car, could it be a drain?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Stu

vorticism wrote:

Looks like a cable connection to me (gold plate, shielded, co-ax-ish).
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Wouter

https://www.speedweek.com/formel1/news/ ... mplex.html

Red Bull Motorsport Advisor Dr. Helmut Marko when asked:
"We were able to clarify the cause of the fuel leak in Max's car."

The man from Graz did not want to answer whether a short-term solution before the next Grand Prix
in Emilia Romagna (April 24, Imola) is possible or whether more time is needed.
"The matter is very complex. The problem is absolutely different from that of Bahrain."
"The matter is very complex." This means that it is not just a matter of replacing one or two parts.
Let's hope they don't have to change (many) other things on the car itself to prevent this from happening again.
Imola is already in a week.
The Power of Dreams!

etusch

During race Perez's RE said him it is not related with his car. It maybe a random statement to say to the driver "just do your business". As soon as I heard that I thought the part which caused the issue is not there at Perez's car.
I have read that RB sent Honda PU to sacura to investigate. If that news is true, there must be something related with the engine. I would have said that second engine has not that part but if this were true they wouldn't send it to sacura.
If both Perez's and Vers' PU are same then Vers were very unlucky because this might not had been happened and Perez is under risk because it can happen him too.
I hope they will come next races more ready and without fats. In these part of season they need to finish every race. After reliability they should overcome tyre usage.

atanatizante

A plausible explanation for the Bahrain fuel issue:

Just place https://www before youtube.com/watch?v=YQsvU8_bb4Q
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

vorticism

vorticism wrote:
10 Apr 2022, 02:50
Owen.C93 wrote:
08 Apr 2022, 11:28
I expect this to be a feature other cars to develop. In fact, if it's a car without a McLaren style edge wing, they might have their own version of the ice skate down there already.

f.e. Ferrari ran their own version of the under floor wing (RB ice skate) in testing.

MtthsMlw wrote:
25 Feb 2022, 12:03
Different floor on the car today
via AMuS
𓄀

Stu

Going back to the RB18 suspension layout.
At the rear there are two dampers; the horizontal one being a heave damper, the diagonal one being a roll damper. These are both linked to the push-rod operated rocker and function to decouple roll and heave.
There are three springs (or appear to be…), two vertically oriented torsion springs and a single (very sturdy) ARB.
Normally the torsion springs would be anchored at the end opposite the rocker (so as to twist when operated); however…

There is a further linked ‘member’ located at the base of the torsion bars which suggests that they are not anchored in the usual way. The linking ‘member’ has a linear potentiometer attached to it (therefore we can assume that each end moves relatively to each other), could this be a hydraulic bump-stop? Only operating in pure heave, this could control porpoising quite effectively, without affecting any other suspension mode. Also by linking the torsion bars in this manner they would be able to disperse single wheel bump forces more effectively through the roll damper.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

diffuser

gandharva wrote:
08 Apr 2022, 16:45
To me it looks more and more like the car lacks downforce (compared to F1-75) or they cannot add more because of engine deficit.
There is no way the power difference is that big. I still have my doubts that after Ferrari were so far behind, power wise, 2 years ago that they are now ahead. The comparisons I've seen between LeClerc and Max show the Ferrari is on the power soon, off the power later and carry more speed in most corners. That makes it seem like they have more power but they don't, they're just making better use of the power.

They lack DF or they can't get the car balanced when they add more, really those 2 things result in them running less DF. Think they end up with too much understeer when they add DF.

matteosc
matteosc

Stu wrote:
16 Apr 2022, 15:06
Going back to the RB18 suspension layout.
At the rear there are two dampers; the horizontal one being a heave damper, the diagonal one being a roll damper. These are both linked to the push-rod operated rocker and function to decouple roll and heave.
There are three springs (or appear to be…), two vertically oriented torsion springs and a single (very sturdy) ARB.
Normally the torsion springs would be anchored at the end opposite the rocker (so as to twist when operated); however…

There is a further linked ‘member’ located at the base of the torsion bars which suggests that they are not anchored in the usual way. The linking ‘member’ has a linear potentiometer attached to it (therefore we can assume that each end moves relatively to each other), could this be a hydraulic bump-stop? Only operating in pure heave, this could control porpoising quite effectively, without affecting any other suspension mode. Also by linking the torsion bars in this manner they would be able to disperse single wheel bump forces more effectively through the roll damper.
I think hydraulic components are banned from this year, so it must be something else. Aside from that, RB may indeed have a particular suspension layout.

vorticism

Hydraulics are not banned. Dampers are almost always hydraulic.
Stu wrote:
16 Apr 2022, 15:06
I went through a similar thought process when I saw that. It depends on if the rockers extend down to actuate that lower element; I can't tell from the photo if it is a separate component or not. The corner torsion spring (if there is one) could be anchored inside of them if so. If they are simply long rocker arms, then the lower element would be supplementing the other heave device. Otherwise as you bring up we could consider what the function of a device operating through or downsteam of springs, would be.

One could be, a non-linear rising spring rate; the lower element would add its resistance only after the torsion springs deflect a predetermined amount. You're saying we might think of it as a bump stop, but I wouldn't consider it that, a bump stop has to exist alongside a spring, not after it, to bridge the moving and static parts of the system.
Last edited by vorticism on 16 Apr 2022, 18:01, edited 1 time in total.
𓄀

Stu

It is definitely “doing something”, although we’ve not been given the chance to look at what others are doing here.
On there front suspension I was interested to hear what Scarbs had to say on it in the latest Peter Windsor YouTube, repeating something that I had suggested when the first shots were leaked during testing, that because their front upper wishbone (at least) is multi-link they are able to replicate the effect of push-rod on upright with a pull-rod set-up. I know that Scarbs floats around on this forum and very nice to have that particular theory substantiated.

vorticism

The regs though stipulate that steering angle mustn't correlate to excessive changes in ride height. I don't know if the FIA inspects that with the car stationary, or if they review geometry directly, or request CAD data.
𓄀