2022 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Spoutnik
Spoutnik

Re: 2022 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

CaribouBread wrote:
21 Apr 2022, 19:10
SSScoffee wrote:
21 Apr 2022, 19:08
https://twitter.com/GiulyDuchessa/statu ... BLc6R-atEQ

[Giuliano Duchessa] Ferrari: introduction of PU2 (new reinforced ICE) on the car of Carlos Sainz. The old PU is in Maranello for a precautionary check, but will be available for the next GPs
now the question is if it'll be turned up to the claimed +10 hp
From what I read, it's turn up, because it's the engine they were supposed to bring for latter races.

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!

wowgr8
wowgr8

Makes me uneasy if I'm being honest. So Sainz will potentially have more power available than Leclerc? I want Sainz to get his first win but I also don't want him and Leclerc trading wins (or best finishes) because they'll slow each other down (points wise) to the benefit of Mercedes and Red Bull. I'd much rather Charles continues to build his points lead

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

wowgr8 wrote:
22 Apr 2022, 00:53
Makes me uneasy if I'm being honest. So Sainz will potentially have more power available than Leclerc? I want Sainz to get his first win but I also don't want him and Leclerc trading wins (or best finishes) because they'll slow each other down (points wise) to the benefit of Mercedes and Red Bull. I'd much rather Charles continues to build his points lead
Ferrari can be more conservative on the energy deployment in order to not disadvantage Leclerc

Andres125sx

wowgr8 wrote:
22 Apr 2022, 00:53
So you think it´s the leader who should assume the risk of testing a new part in race trim???

ptmonkey
ptmonkey

Theoretically, there are no leaders yet, at least based on official statements. Let them fight

LM10
LM10

I don’t know what’s there to be nervous about. Ferrari simply have found an issue when doing routine checks on the PU and decided to give Sainz PU 2. The older PU will be further checked and necessary fixes will be applied. That PU is far away from being at it’s end of life and will stay in the engine pool for free practice and races where power is not so important.

Also, I doubt Ferrari will give Carlos a more aggressive mapping than Charles. If any, they’ll go even more conservative overall because of the earlier than planned change.

Andres125sx

ptmonkey wrote:
22 Apr 2022, 10:57
Theoretically, there are no leaders yet, at least based on official statements. Let them fight
I meant the leader of the WDC

F1NAC

Next race will be better.. but RB is showing some worrying pace.

LM10
LM10

F1NAC wrote:
24 Apr 2022, 16:40
No surprise. They’ve had a couple of upgrades already, whereas Ferrari pretty much still is the testing spec.

dialtone
dialtone

LM10 wrote:
24 Apr 2022, 16:41
F1NAC wrote:
24 Apr 2022, 16:40
No surprise. They’ve had a couple of upgrades already, whereas Ferrari pretty much still is the testing spec.
Yeah, it's about time they get their updates on the car now, porpoising was compromising braking in tamburello for the whole weekend, very evident in the race today when going close behind Perez.

wowgr8
wowgr8

Everything that could have gone wrong went wrong. Such a cursed weekend. Poor from Charles there. The drivers are really letting the team down so far this season (though I know Sainz wasn't to blame today)

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

Terrible weekend, terrible luck with Sainz, and an unforced error from Charles. This is where a champion is made. He was 3rd today. 3rd would have been better than 6th but he binned it.

That’s okay. We live and learn, and he will be feeling worst of all so he doesn’t need to hear anything from us.

Hopefully the next one is better. Given what the Miami track looks like, I think it will be difficult for Ferrari there without updates. While I think they’ll be strong again from Barcelona onwards, it’d be getting the beloved tifosi and twitterati a little anxious if redbull gets back to back wins.

wowgr8
wowgr8

The drag level of the car is going to be a thorn in Ferrari's side all year. Red Bull being 5-15 kmh slower on the straight makes them difficult to defend against and impossible to pass, on top of gaining lots of free time on the straights. Maybe simplistic to put it down to the sidepods but looking from head-on they are incredibly boxy. They basically fill the entire reg volume

Not saying everything is doomed but the drag is a worry. It hurts Ferrari in so many ways vs Red Bull. Unless they can respond with some significant upgrades they're already on the backfoot in Miami

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

wowgr8 wrote:
24 Apr 2022, 17:13
The drag level of the car is going to be a thorn in Ferrari's side all year. Red Bull being 5-15 kmh slower on the straight makes them difficult to defend against and impossible to pass, on top of gaining lots of free time on the straights. Maybe simplistic to put it down to the sidepods but looking from head-on they are incredibly boxy. They basically fill the entire reg volume

Not saying everything is doomed but the drag is a worry. It hurts Ferrari in so many ways vs Red Bull
It also helps Ferrari in so many ways. They are much stronger in the corners. You can’t just lop the sidepods off to reduce drag and expect the remainder of the cars performance to stay the same.

They are different concepts and philosophies. Ferrari (I think Carlos) have said they have a car in the wind tunnel that is better than their current car. I think we can agree that the time to bring that performance to the car is ASAP