BrawnGP

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
ISLAMATRON

Re: BrawnGP

ISLAMATRON wrote:Which flap does it move? the triangle section? or 1 of those normal shaped flaps?
Jacque Clear just answered it for me on speedTV... the triangle part is what moves.

I especially like how it is placed in the main plane rather than the end plate.

blobslosak
blobslosak

Anyone know why Button ran with rear wheel covers but Rubens didn't?

PNSD
PNSD

Button ran in clear air for much of the race.

Rubens didnt, that was the reason for his 3rd stop, to get him out of the hot dirty air trailing the cars in front.

I guess that could be the reason.

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

Or as simply as a difference in opinion between race engineers with regard to what's best.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

Ciro Pabón

What's this pressure line going into the splitter for? And, over all, why the vertical pipe goes into the floor? I did not notice it on my own, somebody else (smarter than me :)) brought it to my attention. It seems a rather crude fitting. Strange.

Conspiracy theories anyone? :?
Ciro

Callum

Ciro Pabón wrote:What's this pressure line going into the splitter for? And, over all, why the vertical pipe goes into the floor? I did not notice it on my own, somebody else (smarter than me :)) brought it to my attention. It seems a rather crude fitting. Strange.

Conspiracy theories anyone? :?
To my untrained eye it just looks like (pressure?) sensors..

P.S look near the bottom of page 41, the bulge at the front of the splitter has now gone..

PPS are you sure its even a brawn?.. there is no ride hight sensor in the page 41 picture either

timbo
timbo

I believe it is McLaren

Ciro Pabón

I was told it was a Brawn, but I have no idea what car it is. Are you "more or less" sure, Timbo? I would move the post to McLaren if you are.
Ciro

safeaschuck

Could it be for driver cooling? During the race it would be an open hole, and whilst stationary they pump air in via the pipe? Is this picture from Bahrain?

TheChad
TheChad

It is definitely a Mclaren and not a Brawn.

ringo

does the Mclaren have that "bulbous bow"? i would assume it could be the Brawn.
For Sure!!

TRICKLE69
TRICKLE69

TheChad wrote:It is definitely a Mclaren and not a Brawn.

Look at the ends of the "SCOOP", on the Brawn it is straight or flat where as the Mclaren has two 90 degree bends and a lip that forms a sort of end channel.
IT IS WHAT IT IS

timbo
timbo

Ciro Pabón wrote:I was told it was a Brawn, but I have no idea what car it is. Are you "more or less" sure, Timbo? I would move the post to McLaren if you are.
As others posted good pictures of McLaren splitter arrangement I guess it is pretty clear. Suspension arm is also much more angled than on Brawn.

I have alternative out of the blue theory. Of course it is very likely to be some pressure sensor may it be that it is active device that allows them to test how pressure distribution affect their diffuser and come up with different floor design?

xpensive
xpensive

Whatever the wrapped-together bathroom-piping is, it was surely not there during the race.

Some kind of testng device I would guess, but it looks strangely hairy-arsed even for that?
Last edited by xpensive on 28 Apr 2009, 09:30, edited 1 time in total.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

timbo
timbo

xpensive wrote:Some kind of thesitng device I would guess, but it looks strangely hairy-arsed even for that?
Not more than a bird cage? Well, they use strangely looking device for test, I've seen lots of Ferrari testing pics from early '00s and they used strangely looking boxy devise ducted to the nosecone or front wing sometimes, may be a prototype of those laser sensors they use now.