2022 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Spoutnik
Spoutnik

Re: 2022 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Sevach
Sevach

It better be good with so much time invested.
Last edited by Sevach on 09 May 2022, 00:23, edited 1 time in total.

Andi76
Andi76

Re: Ferrari F1-75

ringo wrote:
08 May 2022, 23:31
JPower wrote:
08 May 2022, 23:22
ringo wrote:
08 May 2022, 23:20

Okie dokie.
Well the team is clearly behind redbull. I guess you have a "well founded" explanation for it.
The car the team has made is a qualy special like the 2013 mercedes. I do not want to talk too much about the car here, but from a team perspective they will need a new development path as the car is too draggy.
A "quali special" would fall off a cliff during the race. The Ferrari doesn't.
My point is the car cannot race well. Its useless to overtake with. We see this from day one with Leclerc having to play cat and mouse with DRS.
Also the race pace is very good but is not as good as RB. I am not sure if this is related to the RB being better with suspension and porpoising. But I hope the upgrades do address the drag and the bouncing.
To say a car cannot race well thats leading the drivers championship and constructors championship is definetely wrong. If you say this, you could also say the Red Bull cannot qualify well. That would also be wrong. As it would be also be wrong to say the RB16B was useless to overtake with only because the Mercedes was much faster on the straights in the second half of 2021. Its about different approaches. Very small things make the difference between the two teams and no one is clearly behind anyone.Today it was about the tyres. Ferrari probably overheated the Medium tyres when the tread was too thick. When the tread is still thick, more heat gets generated. A car that heats up the tyres quickly, like the Ferrari, can generate a few degrees too much heat for a few laps, what probably was their problem today. Since Red Bull brought its updates they are obviously able to keep all the compounds in the operational window during the race while they need to much time to bring them into this window.Ferraris advantage in qualifying to heat up their tyres quickly can be a disadvantage in the race. But this can change quickly as we have seen and needs a few modifications only. Red Bull has a high speed advantage, while Ferrari has an advantage in slow and medium corners and acceleration. Who is right is something no one can say, but to say Ferrari needs a new developement path is - sorry for saying a word like this, but it is - crap. They are in a close fight for the championship and for victory at every race, so its just as clear as the balls on a dog that their developement path is far from being wrong. Especially since Ferrari is still running with launch spec, while Red Bull needed two upgrades to get where they are now.
Last edited by Andi76 on 09 May 2022, 00:50, edited 4 times in total.

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

Spoutnik wrote:
09 May 2022, 00:05
I trust Binotto. He got us to this point. He, and the team he assembled and allowed to work unpressured, gave us the F1-75. I choose to believe this is the right strategy. They still lead both championships. Hopefully Barca upgrades work. Hopefully strong in Monaco with strong mechanical grip. At any point the championship can turn. People, of course, crying like the sky is falling.

wowgr8
wowgr8

Binotto doesn't talk about the top speed deficit which is the biggest problem. Bahrain, Jeddah, Imola sprint and now here where Leclerc has lost position to that Red Bull and he only got to retaliate once, 4/5 rounds

I don't think the Ferrari is a dragbox just that the Red Bull is from another planet speed wise, it was 4kph clear of the pack in qualifying. It will not be possible to bridge that deficit this year and that makes the rest of the season look very bleak

Talk of Spain updates doesn't fill me with hope because they won't magically fix the speed issue either. Ferrari need to design a rear wing with a bigger DRS flap as well even though that won't fix all the issues

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

The main problem for Ferrari is that when you have a faster car in straight line with low DF you tend to eat your tires more. It was the case in Barhain, in Australia... Ferrari might thought "well we are the Mercedes of 2019 and they are the SF90 of 2019" But now RB is more gentle on the tyres and still terrific in straight line...

ringo

Andi76 wrote:
09 May 2022, 00:20
ringo wrote:
JPower wrote:
08 May 2022, 23:22

A "quali special" would fall off a cliff during the race. The Ferrari doesn't.
My point is the car cannot race well. Its useless to overtake with. We see this from day one with Leclerc having to play cat and mouse with DRS.
Also the race pace is very good but is not as good as RB. I am not sure if this is related to the RB being better with suspension and porpoising. But I hope the upgrades do address the drag and the bouncing.
To say a car cannot race well thats leading the drivers championship and constructors championship is definetely wrong. If you say this, you could also say the Red Bull cannot qualify well. That would also be wrong. As it would be also be wrong to say the RB16B was useless to overtake with only because the Mercedes was much faster on the straights in the second half of 2021. Its about different approaches. Very small things make the difference between the two teams and no one is clearly behind anyone.Today it was about the tyres. Ferrari probably overheated the Medium tyres when the tread was too thick. When the tread is still thick, more heat gets generated. A car that heats up the tyres quickly, like the Ferrari, can generate a few degrees too much heat for a few laps, what probably was their problem today. Since Red Bull brought its updates they are obviously able to keep all the compounds in the operational window during the race while they need to much time to bring them into this window.Ferraris advantage in qualifying to heat up their tyres quickly can be a disadvantage in the race. But this can change quickly as we have seen and needs a few modifications only. Red Bull has a high speed advantage, while Ferrari has an advantage in slow and medium corners and acceleration. Who is right is something no one can say, but to say Ferrari needs a new developement path is - sorry for saying a word like this, but it is - crap. They are in a close fight for the championship and for victory at every race, so its just as clear as the balls on a dog that their developement path is far from being wrong. Especially since Ferrari is still running with launch spec, while Red Bull needed two upgrades to get where they are now.
How can the car race well if it cannot overtake its rival?
Yeah its fast when its alone on the track.
I do not think you need to get into the details about tyre temps and redbull qualifying; as redbull choose to play the long game and let the race come to them. And this strategy works 100% for them.

First I am told I do not know what I am talking about during testing; when it was pointed out the car is draggy.
I guess it's still the fastest, and another excuse will be made when Max easily walks past Charles again. :wink:
The car is close, but no cigar. Very good mechanically, and runs well in qualifying in clean air. But it doesn't race well.
You need to be able to overtake to race other cars. It's as simple as that. And Ray Charles can see that this car is noticeably weak in a straight line; even with the strongest engine.
For Sure!!

Andi76
Andi76

Sorry if i say this guys, but you seem to forget three things:

1. Red Bull made two upgrades to fix
their issues. Ferrari is still running
with launch spec. Barcelona spec can
improve the car a lot.

2. After Australia everyone said Ferrari
will dominate this season. One race
later RBR has won in Imola..

3. Ferrari was not much slower today. Its
about 1-2 tenths per lap in race pace,
while Ferrari is still Nr. 1 in quali

So - both teams are very close together and things can change at every race. Ferrari is working on their update for quite some time, so it probably will be as big a step forward as Red Bulls updates have been.
So - i do not see a problem at all. While Red Bull made two upgrades, Ferrari did nothing yet and still is faster in qualifying and very close in race pace...

And if Ferrari is "only" able to find 2 or 3 km/h, like Mercedes did last year, most of RBRs advantage is gone. Even if this is not easy, its much harder to eliminate Ferraris advantages for Red Bull.

Anyway - both cars are very close together. And there will be an upgrade in the next race. All is fine. The team does not panic, different to some fans. And thats great to see, as this is the right way.
Last edited by Andi76 on 09 May 2022, 01:17, edited 2 times in total.

ringo

wowgr8 wrote:
09 May 2022, 00:27
Binotto doesn't talk about the top speed deficit which is the biggest problem. Bahrain, Jeddah, Imola sprint and now here where Leclerc has lost position to that Red Bull and he only got to retaliate once, 4/5 rounds

I don't think the Ferrari is a dragbox just that the Red Bull is from another planet speed wise, it was 4kph clear of the pack in qualifying. It will not be possible to bridge that deficit this year and that makes the rest of the season look very bleak

Talk of Spain updates doesn't fill me with hope because they won't magically fix the speed issue either. Ferrari need to design a rear wing with a bigger DRS flap as well even though that won't fix all the issues
Glad you are one of the few that admit this. The Redbull is more aero efficient ultimately. The F1-75 is a great car, dont get me wrong, but it has a very predictable Achilles heel against its rival.
Charles was the best driver in Miami, based on how he wrung the car after the safety car, but it was to no avail.
For Sure!!

Andi76
Andi76

ringo wrote:
09 May 2022, 01:13
Andi76 wrote:
09 May 2022, 00:20
ringo wrote:

How can the car race well if it cannot overtake its rival?
Yeah its fast when its alone on the track.
I do not think you need to get into the details about tyre temps and redbull qualifying; as redbull choose to play the long game and let the race come to them. And this strategy works 100% for them.

First I am told I do not know what I am talking about during testing; when it was pointed out the car is draggy.
I guess it's still the fastest, and another excuse will be made when Max easily walks past Charles again. :wink:
The car is close, but no cigar. Very good mechanically, and runs well in qualifying in clean air. But it doesn't race well.
You need to be able to overtake to race other cars. It's as simple as that. And Ray Charles can see that this car is noticeably weak in a straight line; even with the strongest engine.
Oh, your pride had been hurt...is that the reason? Anyway - the car that cannot race well finished 40 secs. in front of its rival....and already did overtake its rival. And all other rivals. I do not know why, but what you do is just obviously trolling. But if it makes you happy. Good for you. But at the end of the day this car is leading both championships, without any significant update.

ringo

Updates doesn't give the car credit to be the best. It is what it is.
That's like Mercedes claiming to be the best car because they have not had an update.

Ferrari have been fortunate that Redbull has had operational issues so far. Today Max was clearly easily managing the gap. Checo also very competitive with 30hp less than Sainz.
I do not expect much for the next race if nothing is done about the top speed. Additional Max made errors that cost him pole.
For Sure!!

dialtone
dialtone

ringo wrote:
09 May 2022, 01:48
Updates doesn't give the car credit to be the best. It is what it is.
That's like Mercedes claiming to be the best car because they have not had an update.

Ferrari have been fortunate that Redbull has had operational issues so far. Today Max was clearly easily managing the gap. Checo also very competitive with 30hp less than Sainz.
I do not expect much for the next race if nothing is done about the top speed. Additional Max made errors that cost him pole.
Checo had 30hp less than Sainz for 4-5 laps. He had all the engine power at the end.

47: https://i.imgur.com/dLhhiPX.jpeg (equal SAI, +3kph on VER)
48: https://i.imgur.com/Wm1jTWF.jpeg (+8 on SAI, +6 on VER)
49: https://i.imgur.com/l9QGoEf.jpeg (DRS from here, +20 SAI, +23 VER)
50: https://i.imgur.com/KXh8wZg.jpeg (+30 SAI, +23 VER)
51: https://i.imgur.com/2NaZrpQ.jpeg (+32 SAI, +27 VER)
52: https://i.imgur.com/3u8ESP2.jpeg (failed pass attempt, -4 SAI, -2 VER)
53: https://i.imgur.com/JHl4l4h.jpeg (no DRS from here, +6 SAI, +3 VER)
54: https://i.imgur.com/87UssFs.jpeg (+5 SAI, +1 VER)
55: https://i.imgur.com/eR6Grmm.jpeg (+4 SAI, +4 VER)
56: https://i.imgur.com/b5fpiqK.jpeg (+2 SAI, +3 VER)
57: https://i.imgur.com/StG4cAS.jpeg (+1 SAI, 0 VER)

With or without DRS, near or far from SAI (after the failed pass attempt) he was faster than SAI and, more importantly, VER. RedBull should consider having this engine issue on Verstappen's car if the result is 3-4kph gain.

JPower
JPower

wowgr8 wrote:
09 May 2022, 00:27
It will not be possible to bridge that deficit this year and that makes the rest of the season look very bleak
Jesus Christ. :roll:

JPower
JPower

PlatinumZealot

Newey is confident RedBull will have the legs on ferrari and dominate. I don't know what Newey sees or doesn't see in the F175 but he feels his car has more more potential.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028