2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Big Tea

Re: 2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

hollus wrote:
12 Jun 2022, 17:43
So, that message from Hamilton about his seat "Going cold".

It could be a coded message for something mechanical, of course, but does it look like it could be his nerves starting to lose sensitivity from all the porpoising? Did he elaborate on that after the race? The porpoising was bad enough to be very, very audible (how something smashed the asphalt, I suppose) in the onboards.
Also, are he and George sitting in the same position? Probably one is more horizontal than the other? Is that a factor?
Could it mean it was no longer scraping the floor and scorching his a$$?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

PlatinumZealot

Probavby numbness, poor blood circulation. In the podium room Russell told Checo that his leg was numb or something from the bouncing.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

lh13
lh13

wesley123 wrote:
The fact that this team, that won 15 of the 16 titles the past 8 seasons, spends the limited resources they have on updates surrounding the sidepods shows how flawed the argumentation against the sidepods really is. There are some very smart people on this forum, but I can't help but think that a team that dominated F1 the past 8 seasons has a better idea on what they are doing than we do.
You sound like no team has ever made mistakes, or designed bad cars once they won a championship.

Williams were dominant in the past, why are they not making fast cars anymore? Same with Ferrari in the recent years and McLaren. I don't know where you people get the idea that since Mercedes won championships, they absolutely cannot make bad cars. It is entirely possible, especially in a new formula.

restless
restless

amazing. After 8 years of domination. Mercedes is not Nr1 and immediately "FIA must do something"
If teams A,B,C had solved a problem, while teams M,N,O don't want to sacrifice performace in order to solve it, the "sporty" solution is to punish team A and help team O.

pursue_one's

He admitted he’s “worried for every time we’re going to be back in the car” at the moment. Hamilton ran some different parts on his car compared to his team mate, and he said it’s clear they haven’t worked.
“George didn’t the have the same bounces that I had,” Hamilton noted. “He had a lot less bouncing. Yesterday I lost three-and-a-half tenths to him, just on the straights.

“I had an experimental part on my car and different rear suspension. So ultimately it’s the wrong one.”

https://www.racefans.net/2022/06/12/ill ... race-ever/

chrisc90

Why is Hamilton running experimental parts during the race if they knew on Saturday, presumably during FP3, or even as early as FP1 and FP2, that the chosen experimental parts were considerably worse than the setup that George managed?

It seems totally silly and absurd to stick with a experimental part(s) that arent giving the desired results. its a bit like setting a car up for a full wet, different ride height, levels of front and rear wing, but then knowing fine well its going to be the hottest day of the year tomorrow, brilliant sunshine, no rain and then complaining that something needs to be done with the regulations.

If your going to run experimental stuff, do it in Free Practice where you can remove it at any time before Parc Ferme condtions at start of qualifying....Not run it for race distance then complain about it and giving you a bad back.

Seriously cant work that one out,

adrianjordan

If drivers are getting actual numbness from the bouncing then that is extremely worrying. If I had a patient present to me with that, they would be going straight to a neuro centre and probably receive an MRI.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Supposed to be pedal down.

Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

chrisc90

adrianjordan wrote:
12 Jun 2022, 18:31
If drivers are getting actual numbness from the bouncing then that is extremely worrying. If I had a patient present to me with that, they would be going straight to a neuro centre and probably receive an MRI.
But if you knew of a solution to prevent that....would you not be recommending it?

Surely the drivers know the relationship between the ride height and the porpoising. Who's calling the shots here? Driver or the team forcing a ride height where the car is going to bounce.

I cant even remember a Free practice where the car didnt bounce. So why arent they finding that cross over point where there is porposing, raising the car so its not, and sitting at the happy medium with only a small amount of porpoising/less severe.

Seems someone in the garage is adament the car needs to be so low.

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

chrisc90 wrote:
12 Jun 2022, 18:35
adrianjordan wrote:
But if you knew of a solution to prevent that....would you not be recommending it?

Surely the drivers know the relationship between the ride height and the porpoising. Who's calling the shots here? Driver or the team forcing a ride height where the car is going to bounce.

I cant even remember a Free practice where the car didnt bounce. So why arent they finding that cross over point where there is porposing, raising the car so its not, and sitting at the happy medium with only a small amount of porpoising/less severe.

"Just go slower" isn't something any F! team will do willingly unless they're being paid to do so.

A team like Merc pretty much only have people in the paddock or on track who are paid to in some way maximise the speed potential of the car.

"Go slower" makes sense in terms of fixing the bouncing, but it doesn't make sense to expect that to actually be a viable option for a major Formula 1 team with massive stakes in the game.

mstar
mstar

This is the 4th time poor lewis has been given these BS parts which make the car worse and he has to deal with it and made to look slow vs george.
I just do not get it. Why is the experimental parts so bad and surely if lewis is going slower take them off BUT NO lewis (or his team??), playing the team game keep them on so they can collect data.

Merc should be ashamed, the on-boards today watching lewis he probably had the most violent bouncing on the grid, so much so on the radio he was saying his "back is gone" and bum gone cold which i can assume blood flow stop and he lost feeling??

I agree with george its a matter of time until they get a driver injury due to violent bouncing, but i think it be more likely to be lewis!

chrisc90

Where do you draw the line though? Thats effectively the team sending the driver out with a 'Dangerous' car. Must be some trade off somewhere,

Big Tea

If they start work on next years car now, would the cost be out of this year or next year?

It may be time to give up on the top two places and do just enough to keep third while preparing for next year?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Bill
Bill

Merc should stop running a car with flexy floor quiet frankly its illegal they know if they can loopy to get the suspension want they can make their concept work and jump other teams.they are not fooling any one what they are doing is low blaming the regulation porpoising. Rbr does not have their problem.

Zynerji

GrizzleBoy wrote:
12 Jun 2022, 18:49
chrisc90 wrote:
12 Jun 2022, 18:35
adrianjordan wrote:

"Just go slower" isn't something any F! team will do willingly unless they're being paid to do so.

A team like Merc pretty much only have people in the paddock or on track who are paid to in some way maximise the speed potential of the car.

"Go slower" makes sense in terms of fixing the bouncing, but it doesn't make sense to expect that to actually be a viable option for a major Formula 1 team with massive stakes in the game.
I mean, they use the break pedal to slow down and not crash in the corner. Why can't they raise the ride height to not injure their drivers?

I'm almost to the point that teams subjecting their drivers to this hazard need to be held accountable. If the GOAT retires from spine problems caused by this year's bouncing, they should be held for neglect.