2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
lh13
lh13

Re: 2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

De Jokke wrote:
Swed3120 wrote:
13 Jun 2022, 15:48
Mercedes are the only Team on the Grid that suffers to this extent.
I doubt any team bar Ferrari would vote for a rule change.

McLaren, Red Bull and Aston don’t seem to have much of any bouncing.

Haas, alpine, Williams, alfa don’t have the budget to develop a new system

Alpha tauri is RBs second vote

So apart from Ferrari there is no team that has both the cash and will to develop a new suspension system to combat bouncing.
Everybody keeps saying how amazing Mercedes is , so let’s see them solve it
You only have to look at RBR, they went shopping @merc, seems it is paying off big time.
The 'heads' are still there at Mercedes, RedBull didn't get any of those I think.

chrisc90

Does anyone think that Toto might be starting to consider his position aswell? I have a feeling that he might stop when Lewis retires for some strange feeling. Given some of his comments from the weekend, im sure it will be attracting some attention from Mercedes' brand itself and calling the car a $h**box will be very de-moralising for the team back at the factory who are probably working very hard on a solution...One of which they experimented at the weekend with Lewis' car.

I wonder if Binotto came out and said similar about his car....Bet he would be gone by the end of the day.

Big Tea

chrisc90 wrote:
13 Jun 2022, 18:55
Does anyone think that Toto might be starting to consider his position aswell? I have a feeling that he might stop when Lewis retires for some strange feeling. Given some of his comments from the weekend, im sure it will be attracting some attention from Mercedes' brand itself and calling the car a $h**box will be very de-moralising for the team back at the factory who are probably working very hard on a solution...One of which they experimented at the weekend with Lewis' car.

I wonder if Binotto came out and said similar about his car....Bet he would be gone by the end of the day.
Binotto does not own a third of the company though :mrgreen:
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

chrisc90

Big Tea wrote:
13 Jun 2022, 19:32
chrisc90 wrote:

Binotto does not own a third of the company though :mrgreen:
That's true. I guess he does have that to cover him to a degree.

silver
silver

chrisc90 wrote:

Tough times test the character of people and Toto is certainly not showing the best of it. Calling the car "sh** box" on open radio is not the best way of managing the situation. Drivers throwing words on the radio while their hearts are pumping and adrenaline is flowing is understandable, but someone sitting in a garage losing temper (past) and throwing words is definitely not the way to behave. He certainly has had easy 6 years before competition hit him and he has been faltering now. He has no right demeaning the work of thousands of people in the factory by cussing the car. Why does he keep apologizing to Hamilton and not to Russell? It seems like he only talks to one driver and is deeply, emotionally invested in that. In the past we have heard him talk to Bottas a lot. Like I said previously, it's best for Toto to step aside and hand over the reigns to someone else for another fresh start.

basti313
basti313

PlatinumZealot wrote:
13 Jun 2022, 15:12
214270 wrote:
13 Jun 2022, 14:17
AMuS article translated:
Thanks for this post. At high speed the car is on bump stops, huh. So there you go, the problems, on the straights at least, all aim right back to aero.

I hope Mercedes has the mother of all floors coming up in Silverstone.
:D First post on Merc since 5 years we agree :D
silver wrote:
13 Jun 2022, 20:21
Tough times test the character of people and Toto is certainly not showing the best of it. Calling the car "sh** box" on open radio is not the best way of managing the situation. Drivers throwing words on the radio while their hearts are pumping and adrenaline is flowing is understandable, but someone sitting in a garage losing temper (past) and throwing words is definitely not the way to behave......
No, this is part of the show. Once they openly speak about "sorry, we screwed up" it takes all momentum from people saying "get your s*** together yourself". Now you have tortured drivers, team on the ground, everyone with a Merc engine in the back in 3...2...1... screaming for rule change!!!
Don`t russel the hamster!

Big Tea

silver wrote:
13 Jun 2022, 20:21
chrisc90 wrote:

Tough times test the character of people and Toto is certainly not showing the best of it. Calling the car "sh** box" on open radio is not the best way of managing the situation. Drivers throwing words on the radio while their hearts are pumping and adrenaline is flowing is understandable, but someone sitting in a garage losing temper (past) and throwing words is definitely not the way to behave. He certainly has had easy 6 years before competition hit him and he has been faltering now. He has no right demeaning the work of thousands of people in the factory by cussing the car. Why does he keep apologizing to Hamilton and not to Russell? It seems like he only talks to one driver and is deeply, emotionally invested in that. In the past we have heard him talk to Bottas a lot. Like I said previously, it's best for Toto to step aside and hand over the reigns to someone else for another fresh start.
What he said was 'its a bit of a shitbxx at the moment' which is quite understandable. I assume they have all called it similar as they know it is true. It does not mean there is not a good car under it and that peoples work is not apricated, I take it the other way as the expectation has not been met.

pursue_one's

Rafael Lopes just mentioned something about Lewis not wantingt to run experimental setups anymore.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Big Tea wrote:
13 Jun 2022, 19:32

:lol:

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

pursue_one's wrote:
14 Jun 2022, 02:19
Rafael Lopes just mentioned something about Lewis not wantingt to run experimental setups anymore.

Lewis got an absolutely raw deal in Baku. One can understand why he's over it.

Big Tea

AR3-GP wrote:
14 Jun 2022, 03:50
pursue_one's wrote:

As the 'experienced man' he is the best choice, if he did not volunteer for it anyway. Russell not only has little experience with that car (and its predecessor) but has not worked with the engineers long.
Hamilton and his engineering team go back a way so they probably take as much from how and when he say things as they would from a full written report from George. Not Georges fault, they just do not know each other as well.

Big Tea wrote:
14 Jun 2022, 12:02
AR3-GP wrote:
pursue_one's wrote:

As the 'experienced man' he is the best choice, if he did not volunteer for it anyway. Russell not only has little experience with that car (and its predecessor) but has not worked with the engineers long.
Hamilton and his engineering team go back a way so they probably take as much from how and when he say things as they would from a full written report from George. Not Georges fault, they just do not know each other as well.
Which is why i was a supporter of BOT for 1 more year. Should’ve held firm, instead Wolff yielded to the noise. This belief that it was gonna be a smooth transition between eras was foolish & positioning for the worst outcome should’ve been better prioritised. It bothered me that the only top-team undertaking a driver switch was Merc - all during the largest set of rule changes ever. A clusterf*ck imo, in a way a good thing that they’re being humbled, you simply cannot gamble.

Whether RUS can pedal or not is a zero now they’re in the mud & apoear unwilling to rely on his data to push the design forward.
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

KeiKo403
KeiKo403

214270 wrote:
14 Jun 2022, 12:48
Big Tea wrote:
14 Jun 2022, 12:02
AR3-GP wrote:

Which is why i was a supporter of BOT for 1 more year. Should’ve held firm, instead Wolff yielded to the noise. This belief that it was gonna be a smooth transition between eras was foolish & positioning for the worst outcome should’ve been better prioritised. It bothered me that the only top-team undertaking a driver switch was Merc - all during the largest set of rule changes ever. A clusterf*ck imo, in a way a good thing that they’re being humbled, you simply cannot gamble.

Whether RUS can pedal or not is a zero now they’re in the mud & apoear unwilling to rely on his data to push the design forward.
Bottas could rarely beat Hamilton, Russell is doing it on a more consistent basis. I think the decision to go with Russell over Bottas is a better decision so far. If in the longer term that changes then fine, but so far I think the decision is justified.

Nothing against Bottas. He just had his time to shine in a ‘dominant’ car but didn’t or couldn’t do it.

Russell paid his dues in that Williams, he deserved a step up to show what he can do in a better car and more well-equipped team.

silver
silver

214270 wrote:
14 Jun 2022, 12:48

Is Hamilton not stepping up to help solve the problems and failing to take physical stress is Russell's problem? Based on your argument, they should rest Hamilton and bring back Bottas to fix the problems, if it is possible. So the two 'others' would solve the problem and then Hamilton would come back and drive. It's open to see that Russell is pushing on, despite complaining and doesn't seem to be giving up. There is nothing Bottas could have done more than Russell, worse, Bottas' lack of speed could have given a false sense of inefficiency on the R&D work that the team is trying as he would have left a few tenths. If there is something/anything that is right in the current scenario for Mercedes, it's Russell.

silver
silver

The misleading statements about the masked performance that is sitting in the car which is being held back by porpoising should now rest.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/what ... /10322102/
"Montreal isn't a smooth circuit, but maybe places like Ricard and Silverstone, this car would work better. But even if we get onto a smooth track, we're well aware that the base performance isn't there either at the moment. We've got to ramp that up."
The following statement confirms the problem in the design of the car than in the regulations. While others have managed to build cars that produce performance at higher ride heights, W13 is designed to produce peak performance when it runs far closer to the ground than others. This is the primary reason for the problems that Mercedes drivers are facing, far more than others.
"If you have a car that's generating downforce, closer to the road, so its peak is lower, then you've got less room to play with. And you have to inherently run it stiffer.
The lobbying by Russell for active suspension is for the following reason, more than any safety reasons.
"The ride issues are unlikely to be due to the shape of the bodywork of the car, as some of it is definitely mechanical.