Ferrari F1-75

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
LM10
LM10

Re: Ferrari F1-75

Apparently besides the new rear wing Ferrari brought a low downforce single element beam wing, but I’ve not seen it on the car today. Anyone with some info on that?

JPower
JPower

LM10 wrote:
26 Aug 2022, 23:42
Apparently besides the new rear wing Ferrari brought a low downforce single element beam wing, but I’ve not seen it on the car today. Anyone with some info on that?
Wasn’t installed. I’m guessing it’ll make an appearance at Monza.

Andi76
Andi76

johnny comelately wrote:
15 Aug 2022, 07:05
Bit of info re the rear suspension design effect on hookup
Few bits if mis/dis information
In English
Want to add this one, as it explains why the F1-75 does not perform when temperatures are low. On the Ferrari, the carcasses of the tyre do not have a lot of springing work to do, as the suspensions softer adjustments do most of the work. This explanaition makes sense in relation to that Mercedes, with its very hard adjustments, performs very well when temperatures are low. But this is surely a very simplified explaination and not completely true, as there are still some other things that contribute to that. But anyway - here it is, in Italian, but its possible to watch it with english subtitles :

f300v10
f300v10

zioture wrote:
26 Aug 2022, 20:08
Sainz also tested the new wing in FP2

https://twitter.com/Graftechweb/status/ ... 4613144576
Not surprised at all that neither car is fitting the new smaller rear wing in FP3 or Qual.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

All Rear Wings used by Ferrari this season so far:

Via: NicolasF1i

organic

Not to take it off topic but RB have 3, Mercedes 2, Alpine 3. Ferrari have an odd development strategy in this regard. Maybe they planned to have only 3-4 wings for the season but the straightline deficit forced them to develop wings like the one first seen at Canada (Where they might've preferred to use the Jeddah wing originally)

It's a lot of development gone into one area of the car and for wings that only maybe see a few race weekends

organic

SmallSoldier wrote:
27 Aug 2022, 23:44
All Rear Wings used by Ferrari this season so far:

https://i.imgur.com/sJHpE4X.jpg

Via: NicolasF1i
Again from NicolasF1i

Some more pics of the lowest df configuration. Ferrari probably never planned to use it at Spa, but simply doing their fp2 test of a new wing before they intend to use it (as they did with other wings eg the one first seen at Miami)

Xwang
Xwang

Maybe they have tested it with the idea of use it at Monza?

nico5

Xwang wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 10:41
But you wouldn't do it in the FP2, which is for tyre testing. Aero tests are usually run on one car only in FP1.

Cuky

nico5 wrote:
30 Aug 2022, 19:45
Xwang wrote:
But you wouldn't do it in the FP2, which is for tyre testing. Aero tests are usually run on one car only in FP1.
No one is preventing them to use it in FP2 if they can squeeze testing it and still have enough time for long run tests. I mean, no one is forcing them to do long runs in FP2 so they can do whatever they want. I may be wrong (my memory sucks lately) but I remember FP1 having a bunch of damp spots on the track and a lot less of that in FP2. So maybe they wanted to compare their data to when track conditions are better than what they were in FP1

organic

nico5 wrote:
30 Aug 2022, 19:45
Xwang wrote:
They have done other wing tests in previous FP2 sessions eg testing the Canada wing at Miami.

Andi76
Andi76

I just came across this article, maybe it is of interest :

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... jveRZ.html

Its about the exhaust and wastegate improving the downforce of the beamwing/diffuser/rearwing, suggesting its a new developement area in 2022. Because the way it works is basically the same as the blown diffusors, i will call it "blown-beamdiffs". The exhaust is angled upwards, while being at level with the lower beamwing, pulling more airflow up towards the underside of the rearwing, giving more flow to the underside of the rearwing, creating a bigger pressure difference between the upper and lower side of the wing, which results in more downforce being created. Next this stronger upwash effect, the wastegate blows directly on top of the diffuser, both improving the performance of the diffuser.

The article suggests, as the wastegate is only open when the driver is off-throttle, that this effect has been made so powerfull by the teams(at least Red Bull and Ferrari), that the spins of Verstappen at Hungary and Leclerc at France, were a result of this. Tyres were fully loaded up, drivers get on throttle, the wastegate stops "blowing", a sudden loss of downforce and they spun.

As Adrian Newey and Rory Byrne(who was involved as an adviser in the design of the F1-75) both are well-known for the use of exhaust gases to maximise aerodynamics, there may be some truth in this article. And maybe this is an aera of developement worth watching.

iichel
iichel

The floor on Sainz's car, after the contact with Hamilton. Reference is Leclercs car.

Source: https://www.reddit.com/gallery/x6ag05

Juzh

Andi76 wrote:
01 Sep 2022, 15:58
I just came across this article, maybe it is of interest :

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... jveRZ.html

Its about the exhaust and wastegate improving the downforce of the beamwing/diffuser/rearwing, suggesting its a new developement area in 2022. Because the way it works is basically the same as the blown diffusors, i will call it "blown-beamdiffs". The exhaust is angled upwards, while being at level with the lower beamwing, pulling more airflow up towards the underside of the rearwing, giving more flow to the underside of the rearwing, creating a bigger pressure difference between the upper and lower side of the wing, which results in more downforce being created. Next this stronger upwash effect, the wastegate blows directly on top of the diffuser, both improving the performance of the diffuser.

The article suggests, as the wastegate is only open when the driver is off-throttle, that this effect has been made so powerfull by the teams(at least Red Bull and Ferrari), that the spins of Verstappen at Hungary and Leclerc at France, were a result of this. Tyres were fully loaded up, drivers get on throttle, the wastegate stops "blowing", a sudden loss of downforce and they spun.

As Adrian Newey and Rory Byrne(who was involved as an adviser in the design of the F1-75) both are well-known for the use of exhaust gases to maximise aerodynamics, there may be some truth in this article. And maybe this is an aera of developement worth watching.
Something is not right in this article. Since 2022 wastegates have once again been mandated to join with main exhaust and no longer have their own tail pipes, so it's not possible what they are saying. I think the pipe that's been pointed at on the image is a breather pipe for excess oil that's been mandated to exit out the back since 2018 (oil burning fiascos). Also, despite this coupling you can still hear wastegates being open from the off-board shots when drivers go full throttle exiting a corner.

JPower
JPower

The ERS upgrade was worth 2kg. No difference in power apparently.