Red Bull RB18

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
diffuser

Re: Red Bull RB18

vorticism wrote:
29 Aug 2022, 14:37
Correct that's the inner engine cover with thermal paint, it looks hand applied in the photos; uneven with brushstrokes visible. Would give them an idea of hot spots between this panel an the engine.
Green paint : Turns to White at 430°C.
Orange paint : Turns to Yellow at 560°C.
https://apracing.com/race-car/brake-pad ... emperature
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0996/ ... 1539647299

Unrelated- it's been noted before that the tunnels on this car seem taller, more voluminous, than other teams. Is this not simply the easiest way to not be overly dependent upon ride height?

It's worth noting:
Sevach wrote:
27 Aug 2022, 22:28
Red Bull vast experience with running the floor a long way from the ground might be beneficial with the formula being rebalanced slightly.
But that's speculation.
For many seasons it was always the RB with rake (rear floor higher from track), and the Merc with hardly any. In that sense the team which had been making best use of ground effect since 2009/10 incl. introducing the EBD were well positioned to gain from the 2022 aero regs changes which would cause the cars to be even more dependent upon ground effect.
You forgot that in "the last year of the rake", Merc had as high a rake as RBR and had arguably the faster car in the last half of the season. In other words, when they needed rake, they executed. Necessity is the mother of invention. RBR over those years was always trying to overcome a lack of power to Merc PU and that's why they needed to adopt rake. Merc just didn't have a need. You're trying to make cause and effect on two subjects that are not related. We also don't know if Merc just has a more complex aero design; that they're having problems getting it to work consistantly or if it's just bad. For the moment RBR is the class of the field.

ispano6

From Giorgio Piola-

The wing mirror mounts look like the old spec however...

mendis
mendis

diffuser wrote:
29 Aug 2022, 15:26
You forgot that in "the last year of the rake", Merc had as high a rake as RBR and had arguably the faster car in the last half of the season.
This is an image from the US GP. Turn 1, first lap of the race. You can see the rake difference between RB16B and W12. Look at the rear wing AoA difference due to different rake philosophies.

Last edited by mendis on 30 Aug 2022, 05:52, edited 1 time in total.

mendis
mendis

ispano6 wrote:
30 Aug 2022, 05:06
From Giorgio Piola-

Not sure why Piola is claiming Red Bull had lighter chassis. Horner denied it.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/red- ... /10359983/
Responding to the rumours before the weekend about Red Bull unleashing a lightweight car, Horner said: "No, we didn't bring it. And no we don't have one...so no, it wasn't a factor in the performance.

Cassius
Cassius

mendis wrote:
30 Aug 2022, 05:51
ispano6 wrote:
From Giorgio Piola-

Responding to the rumours before the weekend about Red Bull unleashing a lightweight car, Horner said: "No, we didn't bring it. And no we don't have one...so no, it wasn't a factor in the performance.
Max also denied it in front of Sky, and said they would bring it in the next races if it works. He is even more credible than Horner.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Cassius wrote:
30 Aug 2022, 09:06
mendis wrote:
ispano6 wrote:
From Giorgio Piola-

Max also denied it in front of Sky, and said they would bring it in the next races if it works. He is even more credible than Horner.
Well one of them is lying then. Horner said one doesn't exist, Max said they'll use it if it works which suggests it exists.

I'd believe Max over Horner, that's for sure.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

DutchPanther

Just_a_fan wrote:
30 Aug 2022, 10:02
Cassius wrote:
mendis wrote:
Well one of them is lying then. Horner said one doesn't exist, Max said they'll use it if it works which suggests it exists.

I mean it matches with Wazari-San's prediction of the ERS and Chassis being launched in Spa.
How hard can it be? ~Jeremious Clarksonious

Mara Nello
Mara Nello

Just_a_fan wrote:
Cassius wrote:
mendis wrote:

That is not the whole truth. On motorsport (German version) they report and quote Horner: "Es gibt kein ... Dieses Chassis [aus Belgien] wird in den nächsten paar Rennen eingesetzt werden." (https://www.motorsport-total.com/formel ... z-22082910).

Translated: There is no ... This chassis [from Belgium] will be used in the next few races.

For me the meaning and the results of the words of Horner and Max are the same: it will come later in the season. Horner just did not want to confirm it, but maybe realized then "oh Max already did" so he tried to revise his "There is no..." and just said, okay the chassis we are using right now, will be the same for the next races.

TLDR: New chassis in few races (my opinion).

Have a nice day :)

Cassius
Cassius

DutchPanther wrote:
30 Aug 2022, 10:49
Just_a_fan wrote:
Cassius wrote:

I mean it matches with Wazari-San's prediction of the ERS and Chassis being launched in Spa.
He said after the summer break, not directly at the first race after the summer break.

DutchPanther

Cassius wrote:
30 Aug 2022, 11:09
DutchPanther wrote:
30 Aug 2022, 10:49
Just_a_fan wrote:

He said after the summer break, not directly at the first race after the summer break.
Ah, my bad my bad. That's true...
How hard can it be? ~Jeremious Clarksonious

organic

Just_a_fan wrote:
Cassius wrote:
mendis wrote:

Indeed

It's rumoured to come at Singapore

etusch

why they will introduce new chassis while they are good enough for this season?

rogazilla
rogazilla

Since you are going to keep improving the current concept into next year, it would make sense if within budget cap to keep improving this season. Take it to the track and test it out. Being front runner also means less wind tunnel time going forward as well.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

ispano6 wrote:
From Giorgio Piola-

I'm surprised that some established figures tell lies with such confidence.

RB did not have the new chassis this past weekend. Depending on which forums you visit, this was even confirmed by insiders.

diffuser

mendis wrote:
30 Aug 2022, 05:37
diffuser wrote:
29 Aug 2022, 15:26
You forgot that in "the last year of the rake", Merc had as high a rake as RBR and had arguably the faster car in the last half of the season.
This is an image from the US GP. Turn 1, first lap of the race. You can see the rake difference between RB16B and W12. Look at the rear wing AoA difference due to different rake philosophies.

https://cdn-1.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... ing-1.webp
That's a slope BTW. And I'm not saying that RBR didn't run more rake at some tracks in 2021. Just that were RBR ran over 100% more rake in previous years, they were within 1/2 of a degree to each other in 2021.