Red Bull RB18

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Mara Nello
Mara Nello

Re: Red Bull RB18

AR3-GP wrote:
30 Aug 2022, 14:59
ispano6 wrote:
30 Aug 2022, 05:06
From Giorgio Piola-

The wing mirror mounts look like the old spec however...
I'm surprised that some established figures tell lies with such confidence.

RB did not have the new chassis this past weekend. Depending on which forums you visit, this was even confirmed by insiders.
Yes Giorgia did surprise me too...especially (if I am not mistaken on that) because he is talking about solving porpoising and fixing the floor and then he refers to his red arrows AND there you see that he highlighted both crash structures. Yes the lower one could be used very clever by Red Bull to stiffen the floor. But the upper one, has nothing to do with floor/porpoising and for sure nothing with stiffness.

Or am I doing bad on him because I misunderstood his tweet?

Edit: And i am pretty sure RB did not change anything regarding th crash structures (at least for now, cause no new chassis introduced ... but maybe that is the reason why he refers to the CS because he thought new chassis. but then pls double check Giorgio ;) )

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

etusch wrote:
30 Aug 2022, 14:29
why they will introduce new chassis while they are good enough for this season?
If they can afford it within the budget cap, then introducing this year means they have more money available to do other improvements next year. Also gives them time to learn about it in a season that is, effectively, already over.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Henk_v
Henk_v

RB can (royally) afford to experiment. No other team can without consequences of getting it wrong.

ispano6

AR3-GP wrote:

RB did not have the new chassis this past weekend. Depending on which forums you visit, this was even confirmed by insiders.
I wouldn't get too worked up about it. Honda brought an ERS update to Spa last year and RB made no mention of it until later on. We do know body work, suspension shroud and floor changes were pretty considerable. It was quite a very different car from Hungary but also a very different circuit to prepare for. I would say Newey and team have done a fantastic job with the upgrades!

organic

ispano6 wrote:
30 Aug 2022, 21:16
AR3-GP wrote:

I wouldn't get too worked up about it. Honda brought an ERS update to Spa last year and RB made no mention of it until later on. We do know body work, suspension shroud and floor changes were pretty considerable. It was quite a very different car from Hungary but also a very different circuit to prepare for. I would say Newey and team have done a fantastic job with the upgrades!
What floor change?

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

organic wrote:
30 Aug 2022, 22:23
ispano6 wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:

What floor change?
The Ferrari cutout probably.

organic

That cutout first appeared in Silverstone..
organic wrote:
01 Jul 2022, 17:13

Better image of said cutout:

https://i.imgur.com/DzIK6WM.png

Seems RB may be fearing more bouncing problems at Silverstone? Max is therefore testing this specification of floor whilst Sergio uses the original without cutout. Could also be information gathering for after the TD comes in
Not sure why people are acting like it's new. Max doesn't run it and hasn't since austria, but Perez has.

ispano6

organic wrote:
30 Aug 2022, 22:23
ispano6 wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:

What floor change?
*floor choice. The two cars didn't run the same spec, did they.

ispano6

organic wrote:
30 Aug 2022, 22:49
organic wrote:

Seems RB may be fearing more bouncing problems at Silverstone? Max is therefore testing this specification of floor whilst Sergio uses the original without cutout. Could also be information gathering for after the TD comes in
Not sure why people are acting like it's new. Max doesn't run it and hasn't since austria, but Perez has.
Matt Somerfield from Motorsport:
The alterations made to the lower wishbone are undoubtedly subtle and haven’t required any structural changes within.

Interestingly and coincidentally, Red Bull has an indent in the floor above the diffuser to provide the necessary travel for the wishbone, given its overall proximity to the surface (small inset, blue arrow).

Curbstone
Curbstone

Maybe the image concerning to the quite above will give some more clarificationImage

Matt also adresses the floor cut-outs and confirms the floor has been used since Silverstone, though not for each race or both Perez and Verstappen.

DutchPanther

ispano6 wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:

I think they really did get the ERS update in Spa especially because Asaki-San was present during the Belgian GP...
How hard can it be? ~Jeremious Clarksonious

aran.vtec
aran.vtec

DutchPanther wrote:
31 Aug 2022, 12:36
ispano6 wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:

I think they really did get the ERS update in Spa especially because Asaki-San was present during the Belgian GP...
I suspect the same as the last race Max took Pu3 as a "precaution" ,the Honda has been very reliable to the point I thought they were going to do the whole season on the allowed amount. It can only be for upgrade reasons that they would take all new components the very next race.

Giblet
Giblet

AR3-GP wrote:
ispano6 wrote:
30 Aug 2022, 05:06
From Giorgio Piola-

The wing mirror mounts look like the old spec however...

People make mistakes. The much respected Piolo is not a "liar".
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

organic

ispano6 wrote:
31 Aug 2022, 05:09
organic wrote:
30 Aug 2022, 22:49
organic wrote:

Matt Somerfield from Motorsport:
The alterations made to the lower wishbone are undoubtedly subtle and haven’t required any structural changes within.

Interestingly and coincidentally, Red Bull has an indent in the floor above the diffuser to provide the necessary travel for the wishbone, given its overall proximity to the surface (small inset, blue arrow).
The indent in the floor above diffuser has been there since preseason testing. The new parts were suspension shroud & sidepod reshaping at Spa. Floor hasn't been updated since France
Last edited by organic on 31 Aug 2022, 15:24, edited 1 time in total.

vorticism

Indeed. They have the bumpiest floor on the grid, as it relates. Bumps and bulges all over the place which makes it look like a more developed piece of equipment than the pictures you see of the other floors. Merc and Ferrari floors look simplistic by comparison which isn't necessarily a bad thing but it seems to point out a different operational flow within the engineering departments. Other features like the unevenly spaced and curved floor vanes, while everyone else was using evenly spaced vertical vanes, make you wonder how/why RB started out with a more nuanced floor.
𓄀