2022 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, Sep 09 - 11

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Re: 2022 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, Sep 09 - 11

organic wrote:
09 Sep 2022, 20:33
search wrote:
09 Sep 2022, 20:29
RZS10 wrote:
09 Sep 2022, 19:20
Unless i am mistaken the penalties so far look like this:

Verstappen +5ICE
Perez +10ICE
Sainz +10 gearbox (irrelevant, see below)

almost guaranteed P17
Bottas +15 (+5ICE +5turbo +5H)

Back of the grid, fighting for 18, 19, 20:
Sainz (+5CE +5K +10ES)
Hamilton (+10ICE +10 turbo +10H, +10K)
Tsunoda (+5ICE +5turbo +5H +5K)
Tsunoda got another irrelevant +3 for ignoring yellow flags today ;)

Will be interesting to see what Hamilton and Sainz do in qualifying. I'd think beating Tsunoda and then only giving their team mates a tow in Q3 would be the smart thing to do, as not coming close to Verstappen gives Russell and Leclerc a better chance for the race.
Yeah I think Sainz and ham won't set a competitive time so that verstappen can't be gifted grid slots.
It makes no difference for Verstappen if Sainz and Hamilton do or do not set laps in Q3. Q3 isn't a knockout round.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

organic wrote:
search wrote:
RZS10 wrote:
09 Sep 2022, 19:20
Unless i am mistaken the penalties so far look like this:

Verstappen +5ICE
Perez +10ICE
Sainz +10 gearbox (irrelevant, see below)

almost guaranteed P17
Bottas +15 (+5ICE +5turbo +5H)

Back of the grid, fighting for 18, 19, 20:
Sainz (+5CE +5K +10ES)
Hamilton (+10ICE +10 turbo +10H, +10K)
Tsunoda (+5ICE +5turbo +5H +5K)

Will be interesting to see what Hamilton and Sainz do in qualifying. I'd think beating Tsunoda and then only giving their team mates a tow in Q3 would be the smart thing to do, as not coming close to Verstappen gives Russell and Leclerc a better chance for the race.
Yeah I think Sainz and ham won't set a competitive time so that verstappen can't be gifted grid slots.
Q3 isn't a knockout round. I'm not sure I understand.

organic

AR3-GP wrote:
09 Sep 2022, 20:38
organic wrote:
search wrote:

Q3 isn't a knockout round. I'm not sure I understand.
If max qualifies P1 and has a 5-place then he has the grid slot of P6.

At the same time if Sainz/Hamilton qualify something like 3rd/4th, and get demoted to the back of the grid, does max not then get promoted to starting 4th ?

Perez will also be going back 10-places so Max could move from 6th to start 3rd?

But if Sainz/Hamilton don't set competitive times in Q3 then Max's P6 grid slot doesn't get bumped up beyond P5 (only Perez ahead of him taking grid drops)

By Hamilton/Sainz not qualifying, they protect Russell/Leclerc from Max by having a couple of extra cars (Norris, ocon, Alonso etc) between max and then. At the cost of them not being able to compete with each other for position at the back of the grid

politburo
politburo

matt_b wrote:
09 Sep 2022, 18:09
Max did a 25.7 on 14 lap old Mediums, RB and probably Ferrari if they can look after their tyres will cut through the field like a hot knife through butter with DRS, now I see why they took penalties here but they better stay out of trouble that will be the key.
We all know that midfield cars don’t defend position unless it’s against other midfield cars. It’s like within the race there are other segmented races. Usually P2-P4 are fighting for podiums, and the from P7-P10 shuffling for who gets best of the rest and then the rest who just a re getting lapped fighting each other.
"Nosotros diferimos, pero nosotros todos son iguales"

vanburin

One of the key factors holding Mercedes back was that its energy deployment characteristics are not ideal for the long straights of Monza, as it runs out of its power boost too early on the straights.

Russell reckoned that could prove critical in giving Ferrari an edge in their fight for position.

"We are lacking a bit of deployment," he explained. "We are similar to Red Bull but Ferrari seem to have the upper hand in terms of deployment.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/merc ... /10366470/

Odd that he would reference RB in that group as well of those with deployment issues, which doesn't really show up in the data we've seen. Bit of wishful thinking?

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

codetower wrote:
09 Sep 2022, 18:35
organic wrote:
09 Sep 2022, 18:31
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FcOfUVnWQAI ... name=large

Source: Toni Sokolov [@tonisokolov1011 on Twitter]
Haha, you beat me to posting that graphic, Organic.

But wow... Max running the Yellows as fast as Lec on the Softs.

I can see Max cutting through the field rather easily, yet doing Lec a favor and letting him take the win on Italian soil if Lec is leading at the end. I can see a Lec/Max 1-2.
I hope you are joking with the “letting leclerc win on home soil”. Max will go for the win. Leclerc must try to disappear while max makes his way to him. I doubt russel or norris or any midfielder can hold max up for too long. Realistically by lap 5 max is p2 already and i have a hard time imagining him staying there the entire race to be nice to charles. Hopefully for ferrari their race pace will be good. It hasnt been in recent races.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Marko thinks Ferrari turned up the power for FP2. Looking at the fast lap telemetry, he's correct. It's noticeable how much quicker Ferrari are on the straights in FP2 vs FP1 whereas the same increase is not observed on the RB which presumably did not use a higher mode than FP1.

codetower

Hammerfist wrote:
10 Sep 2022, 01:17
codetower wrote:
09 Sep 2022, 18:35
organic wrote:
09 Sep 2022, 18:31
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FcOfUVnWQAI ... name=large

Source: Toni Sokolov [@tonisokolov1011 on Twitter]
Haha, you beat me to posting that graphic, Organic.

But wow... Max running the Yellows as fast as Lec on the Softs.

I can see Max cutting through the field rather easily, yet doing Lec a favor and letting him take the win on Italian soil if Lec is leading at the end. I can see a Lec/Max 1-2.
I hope you are joking with the “letting leclerc win on home soil”. Max will go for the win. Leclerc must try to disappear while max makes his way to him. I doubt russel or norris or any midfielder can hold max up for too long. Realistically by lap 5 max is p2 already and i have a hard time imagining him staying there the entire race to be nice to charles. Hopefully for ferrari their race pace will be good. It hasnt been in recent races.
Ha! Yeah, more of a wishful comment. Max has the WDC wrapped up. Maybe he’s feeling generous.

But in all honesty, I’m a bit concerned that Ferrari might have the engines turned up a bit much for the race for the home fans and we suffer another painful DNF. I hope this isn’t the case.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

AR3-GP wrote:
10 Sep 2022, 01:32
Marko thinks Ferrari turned up the power for FP2. Looking at the fast lap telemetry, he's correct. It's noticeable how much quicker Ferrari are on the straights in FP2 vs FP1 whereas the same increase is not observed on the RB which presumably did not use a higher mode than FP1.

https://i.postimg.cc/66HFhfr8/Image-6.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/yYktp3jv/Image-7.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/4yFMNXf6/Image-8.jpg
Or Red Bull ran full mode in both and Ferrari only ran full mode later.

Marko briefs for Red Bull and thus isn't a neutral commentator.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Just_a_fan wrote:
10 Sep 2022, 02:15
AR3-GP wrote:
10 Sep 2022, 01:32

https://i.postimg.cc/66HFhfr8/Image-6.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/yYktp3jv/Image-7.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/4yFMNXf6/Image-8.jpg
Or Red Bull ran full mode in both and Ferrari only ran full mode later.

Marko briefs for Red Bull and thus isn't a neutral commentator.
I posted pictures of the speed traces between FP1 and FP2. They indicate that Ferrari used more engine power in FP2 than FP1.

Schippke
Schippke

That would make sense; Red Bull’s top speed didn’t change much it seemed from most of their onboards from FP1 and FP2, whilst Ferrari on their fast laps were a couple-few km/h faster compared to FP1.

… even so, Red Bull are quick in a straight line, whether they’ve got the power turned up or down (the former unlikely at this stage).

Despite pending grid penalties, Max surely the favourite for the win judging by race pace.

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

What is the problem with a team turning on the power during practice when they see fit. If FERRARI turned on the power in FP2 it means that with the power turned down they finished FP1 1-2 and with the power turned-up they still finished first in FP2.

chrisc90

Rumours of additional penalties...

I think we will see the likes of Sainz, Lewis, Max, Perez etc all going for a Q3 lap given the faster car will start higher up. We seen last week that penalties are totted up based on total points accumulated then the order decided by the faster driver.

Verstappen (5 places)
Perez (10 places)
Sainz (15 places + 10 gearbox)
Bottas (15 places)
Hamilton (Back of grid)
Tsunoda (Back of grid) + 3 grid drop for failing to slow.

So you have Sainz, Bottas, Hamilton and Tsunoda all with a back of grid penalty. Likely Tsunoda will start last with the additional penalty grid drop as its outside the component points tally grid drops.

basti313
basti313

Juzh wrote:
09 Sep 2022, 19:11
vanburin wrote:
09 Sep 2022, 19:03
mendis wrote:
09 Sep 2022, 18:54
Max was having a lot of traffic on his race simulation run. For a couple of laps he had to use DRS, but was still slow across the laps, especially through S2. Before hitting the traffic, he was comfortably doing 1:25.5s and 6s on mediums. He was comfortably faster by around 7 tenths over Sainz who was doing 1:26.2s and 3s on mediums. Mercedes clearly were struggling for pace and also were hampered by deployment issues in between.
The lap times posted by Organic show all of this. Seems pretty clear the Red Bull with Max in it will be an absolute force.
He did sound rather confident in his interview after fp2 on f1.com, despite the deficit over single lap..

sainz fp2 lap 1.21.664
https://streamable.com/ulcmki

ver fp2 lap 1.21.807
https://streamable.com/ljpdq5
Thanks for posting.
These videos show in my point of view, that the discussions on pace are really on weak basis...in the video of Ver you can see that the rear tires are stone cold. No traction at all at the beginning of the lap, as he goes through the Lesmos the car looks very strong for the rest of the lap. He surely lost at least 4 tenths with the lifts in the first two chicanes.
Sainz on the other hand has a strongly derating engine on every straight. I guess this is the old Friday engine. This should be away today.
Don`t russel the hamster!

AMG.Tzan

chrisc90 wrote:
10 Sep 2022, 10:27
Rumours of additional penalties...

I think we will see the likes of Sainz, Lewis, Max, Perez etc all going for a Q3 lap given the faster car will start higher up. We seen last week that penalties are totted up based on total points accumulated then the order decided by the faster driver.

Verstappen (5 places)
Perez (10 places)
Sainz (15 places + 10 gearbox)
Bottas (15 places)
Hamilton (Back of grid)
Tsunoda (Back of grid) + 3 grid drop for failing to slow.

So you have Sainz, Bottas, Hamilton and Tsunoda all with a back of grid penalty. Likely Tsunoda will start last with the additional penalty grid drop as its outside the component points tally grid drops.
I can’t see why Max with just a 5-place grid penalty won’t take part in Q3! With Sainz, Perez and Hamilton all taking penalties he’ll start 3rd!

So anyone expecting him to “cut through the field” get ready for him to lead by the end of Lap 2-3! Only a DNF could stop him from win the rest of the season…
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis