Ferrari F1-75

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Marble
Marble

Re: Ferrari F1-75

RedBull has only 3 rear wings for the whole season (confirmed by Waché). Ferrari brought its 5th wing (Monza specific) : for once they have lower drag, lower downforce. It took Leclerc a bit of special driving into Less to get a good enough Sector 2 to compete with the higher DF of the RB18 :

Vanja #66

Ferrari actually designed 6 rear wings for this season, author mistakes the high-downforce version for launch-spec wing. You could argue most of them will be carried to next year's car, seeing how wide the downforce range they cover is.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

Marble wrote:
11 Sep 2022, 08:53
RedBull has only 3 rear wings for the whole season (confirmed by Waché). Ferrari brought its 5th wing (Monza specific) : for once they have lower drag, lower downforce. It took Leclerc a bit of special driving into Less to get a good enough Sector 2 to compete with the higher DF of the RB18 :

Fully sent it through the Lesmos in his last run, he said after he took maximum risk. He was struggling with Lesmo 1 in fp3 so guess they sorted that out or he just took a big brave pill

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

Hopefully worth a look if it is genuine or supposition, who knows?
Details the MGU-H, transaxle (which shows a hybrid hypoid spur arrangement) rear suspension arrangement with a different 2 element heave system. buono appetito

f1316
f1316

https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-fe ... /10368759/

If this is to be believed, Ferrari took some good learnings from their experiments in Monza:

1. There’s nothing fundamentally wrong with the France spec floor and it is a genuine step forward (if apparently less so than was hoped)
2. They have data which has/will allow them to understand the tyre wear issues they’ve been experiencing

Again, if reliable (and potentially big IF) this sounds tentatively positive.

JPower
JPower

f1316 wrote:
13 Sep 2022, 22:37

If this is to be believed, Ferrari took some good learnings from their experiments in Monza:

1. There’s nothing fundamentally wrong with the France spec floor and it is a genuine step forward (if apparently less so than was hoped)
2. They have data which has/will allow them to understand the tyre wear issues they’ve been experiencing

1.5 weeks is enough time to put a dent in the pile of issues they’ve accumulated.

Hopefully we see a car closer to the pre-Hungary one at Singapore.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

JPower wrote:
14 Sep 2022, 00:59
f1316 wrote:

1.5 weeks is enough time to put a dent in the pile of issues they’ve accumulated.

I do not anticipate upgrades to the F1-75. Focus has moved to 2023.

JPower
JPower

AR3-GP wrote:
14 Sep 2022, 01:18
JPower wrote:
f1316 wrote:

Didn't say anything about upgrades.

aleks_ader

I think yeah all setup focused and simulator work IMO
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

bluechris

I agree also, in my eyes the problem is more on the correct setup side. TD39 did make the car setup to have a more narrower window and its hard to find it. They need to super analyze the data and with the drivers together to find the optimal setup solution even if it compromise their qualify performance a bit.
Off course any kind of update in the floor, suspension or the Diffuser of the car is acceptable but i dont think they will throw money and resources any more on this, as it seems atm they only need to be a bit better than Mercedes and for sure they must accept the 2nd place also.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

bluechris wrote:
14 Sep 2022, 08:05
I agree also, in my eyes the problem is more on the correct setup side. TD39 did make the car setup to have a more narrower window and its hard to find it. They need to super analyze the data and with the drivers together to find the optimal setup solution even if it compromise their qualify performance a bit.
Off course any kind of update in the floor, suspension or the Diffuser of the car is acceptable but i dont think they will throw money and resources any more on this, as it seems atm they only need to be a bit better than Mercedes and for sure they must accept the 2nd place also.
I don't think this is setup. I think they can maybe optimize around a somewhat slower foundation but fundamentally, as I understand, TD039 means that they have altered the setups drastically in order to reduce the porpoising AND limit plank wear. The only simple way to do that is to raise the rideheight and stiffen suspension. That is what is limiting the F1-75 right now. They can't run lower anymore because of TD039. This is not exposed as much over 1 lap on soft tires. However, over a race distance the tires are screaming now due to the drivers trying to push more out of the car than the post-TD039 setup allows. If the drivers simply "drive slower", the tires would be fine. That's the problem. They are trying to outgun RB in the race runs but they don't have the downforce anymore to keep the tires at that pace.

Sevach
Sevach

AR3-GP wrote:
JPower wrote:
f1316 wrote:

That really depends on how much they can learn by say upgrading the floor to work better with the new TD.
Of course with floor regs getting a further make over for next year this is questionable.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Sevach wrote:
14 Sep 2022, 17:28
AR3-GP wrote:
JPower wrote:

That really depends on how much they can learn by say upgrading the floor to work better with the new TD.
Of course with floor regs getting a further make over for next year this is questionable.
That's the trouble as well. What can be learned from the F1-75 now that the floor regulations are changing?

gordonthegun

Two nice shots of the floor in Singapore:

gordonthegun