2022 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Xwang
Xwang

Re: 2022 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

What is the logic, if any, to do race pace tests in fp3 with the pilot (Sai) which should try to take pole and only quali tests with the one which has penalities (Lec)?

tpe
tpe

I guess it's all about confidence.
Since Leclerc missed FP1, he probably needed that simulation.

search

he also wanted to save the harder tyres for the race, I guess, so only had softs available for FP3. And a longrun with tyres no one is going to use anyway doesn't come with much useful information.

Schippke
Schippke

Well as this race has panned out, you'd have to consider Ferrari as potentially the 3rd fastest car. No doubt they've still got decent qualifying speed, but race-pace wise they're similar, if not a little bit behind Mercedes now... and the degradation is very high as well.

Only have to look at the pace difference between Max and Charles at the end of this race to see how much better the Red Bull was on the mediums.

Vanja #66

Schippke wrote:
23 Oct 2022, 22:41
Well as this race has panned out, you'd have to consider Ferrari as potentially the 3rd fastest car. No doubt they've still got decent qualifying speed, but race-pace wise they're similar, if not a little bit behind Mercedes now... and the degradation is very high as well.

Only have to look at the pace difference between Max and Charles at the end of this race to see how much better the Red Bull was on the mediums.
Not really, after td039 Ferrari setup is heavily compromised. They managed to sort out the race pace, but whenever Charles starts pushing harder their tyres just go off. It was somewhat present early in the season too (Miami race, stint 1) but this right now is just bonkers.

Charles was great in the first stint today, saved the mediums very nicely even though he had to overtake so many cars, with and without DRS. So overall pace is again decent, not what it was but decent. But pushing and racing messes up the tyres completely, seen in Suzuka and today as well.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

mendis
mendis

Difficult day for the team. Russell's d*** head move might have costed more than just a race I am afraid. Good recovery from Charles, but there wasn't much left in tyres in relation to Red Bull.

Xwang
Xwang

I haven't really well understood why he made his last stop so early. He changed to hard 5 laps after Ver, but switched to medium at the same lap of Ver

Xyz22
Xyz22

Xwang wrote:
23 Oct 2022, 23:05
I haven't really well understood why he made his last stop so early. He changed to hard 5 laps after Ver, but switched to medium at the same lap of Ver
It was actually a great call in order to defend from Russell / Perez UC. We were slower than them with the hard tyres.

This car can't win a race on pure pace. There is nothing to do. We can fight with Perez for P2 or P3 if MB is involved.
Last edited by Xyz22 on 23 Oct 2022, 23:13, edited 1 time in total.

Sevach
Sevach

Xwang wrote:
I don't disagree with the stop when it came, even if there was further life in the tire Russell and Perez could stop any second and undercut Charles.
I'm curious about something, Charles got past Perez and then his pace dissapeared, despite the fact that he had the freshest tire of the grid at that point...
Did the team tell him to slow down aiming for a 1 stopper? That would've been a dumb call.

Xyz22
Xyz22

Sevach wrote:
23 Oct 2022, 23:12
Xwang wrote:
I don't disagree with the stop when it came, even if there was further life in the tire Russell and Perez could stop any second and undercut Charles.
I'm curious about something, Charles got past Perez and then his pace dissapeared, despite the fact that he had the freshest tire of the grid at that point...
Did the team tell him to slow down aiming for a 1 stopper? That would've been a dumb call.
No Leclerc was already at the limit. It was clear by looking at his lines in sector 3. He was so slow trying to save the tyres and yet the deg was higher compared to other cars.

chrisc90

Yeah, Feel for Sainz getting cannonballed. He showed great pace all weekend and he made it 300m into the race. Very unlucky for him.

Charles has the pace to keep with Max for 2-3 laps, then just seems to drop off a cliff with the pace allowing the gap to open up.

It would be interesting to compare the top 3's lap times in that last stint.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Xwang wrote:
They would have just lost more time if they didn't bring him in. I suppose they could have went for another SC gamble, but most of the usual troublemakers were out of the race already.
A lion must kill its prey.

Shal_Leg16
Shal_Leg16

chrisc90 wrote:
23 Oct 2022, 23:22
Yeah, Feel for Sainz getting cannonballed. He showed great pace all weekend and he made it 300m into the race. Very unlucky for him.

Charles has the pace to keep with Max for 2-3 laps, then just seems to drop off a cliff with the pace allowing the gap to open up.

It would be interesting to compare the top 3's lap times in that last stint.
if his car can reduce the insane tyre degradation he can entertain Max much more .
imo, of the 3-4 front running cars Ferrari is the worse in tyre deg. After 5 to 7 laps that all the performance is gone. more quickly if Charles engages in any battle.

Also thats the major reason Max is getting all the praises for being more mature and all. Actually he always knew Charles & his Ferrari cant hang around with him for more than 5 -7 laps thats why he has been less agrassive , coz he doesn't need to. after 5 laps he can make an easy pass.

Andres125sx

Vanja #66 wrote:
23 Oct 2022, 22:48
Sainz is such a noob choker...
Yeah what a noob, being hit by another car from the back, didn´t he learn to use the ghost button to become transparent and avoid contact from kamikaze drivers behind?

Stop the nosense please

F1NAC

Car basically transformed into W03 .

Q pace is up there, but come race day it will shred the tyres as soon as you push a bit harder.