2022 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
bluechris

Re: 2022 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

mendis wrote:
25 Oct 2022, 06:07
What was his mistake?
It isn't exactly a mistake per se but a not smart move in all the mayhem in the 1st corner to move like this.

Xyz22
Xyz22

How do you all explain the massive difference between quali pace and race pace for Sainz?

This never happened in his career before (to be close in quali and way slower in the race). I wonder if he's using more "extreme" setups than Leclerc.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Michael Smidt of Amus says that Binotto told him that CL PU6 had reliability updates. There is also discussion of the issues with the engine. Pneumatic valve sealing problem is mentioned.
https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/150568/b ... blems.html
A lion must kill its prey.

Xyz22
Xyz22

AR3-GP wrote:
25 Oct 2022, 15:48
Michael Smidt of Amus says that Binotto told him that CL PU6 had reliability updates. There is also discussion of the issues with the engine. Pneumatic valve sealing problem is mentioned.
The article is incomplete as it lacks the first part of what Schmidth said: "the new components were not produced in time".

If Leclerc had the updated valves in the engine there was no real benefit in terms of performance. Moreover, Formu1a reported that Ferrari told them the PU was identical to the one used before.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Xyz22 wrote:
25 Oct 2022, 17:18
AR3-GP wrote:
The article is incomplete as it lacks the first part of what Schmidth said: "the new components were not produced in time".

If Leclerc had the updated valves in the engine there was no real benefit in terms of performance. Moreover, Formu1a reported that Ferrari told them the PU was identical to the one used before.
You have to remember the beginning of the season. Ferrari used 4-5 races at reduced power to “measure reliability” before increasing the mappings. It wasn’t until Spain onwards that they started pushing. You shouldn’t expect them to have the engine turned back up so soon. It’s not really how they do things (unless it’s Monza lol).

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Xyz22 wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:

Also perhaps there is something lost in translation. If Leclerc didn’t get the new valves in the USA, then he would have to take another power unit. They won’t be able to replace the valves with a different spec without taking another penalty. The Schmidt article says that the new Valves are on Leclerc’s fresh engine. So it must have been there since USA.

Big Tea

AR3-GP wrote:
25 Oct 2022, 21:45
Xyz22 wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:

Also perhaps there is something lost in translation. If Leclerc didn’t get the new valves in the USA, then he would have to take another power unit. They won’t be able to replace the valves with a different spec without taking another penalty. The Schmidt article says that the new Valves are on Leclerc’s fresh engine. So it must have been there since USA.
And they would hardly fit the valves in the unit already in the car, that would be a factory job as it is splitting the unit and would count as a different engine.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Andres125sx

Xyz22 wrote:
25 Oct 2022, 13:41
How do you all explain the massive difference between quali pace and race pace for Sainz?

This never happened in his career before (to be close in quali and way slower in the race). I wonder if he's using more "extreme" setups than Leclerc.
Not sure about the difference you´re talking about, last GP he was taken out by Russell in first corner so no race pace to look at, previous race he aquaplanned and crashed in first lap, on previous race he finished on podium 7 seconds behind Charles, and on previous race 2-3 seconds behind :?:

Xyz22
Xyz22

Andres125sx wrote:
26 Oct 2022, 08:12
Xyz22 wrote:
25 Oct 2022, 13:41

Not sure about the difference you´re talking about, last GP he was taken out by Russell in first corner so no race pace to look at, previous race he aquaplanned and crashed in first lap, on previous race he finished on podium 7 seconds behind Charles, and on previous race 2-3 seconds behind :?:
I was talking about the season as a whole, not a specific race. Moreover using final gaps at the end of a race can be extremely misleading due to the frequent deploy of the SC.
As a matter of fact in Singapore there were 2 SCs which had a massive impact on the final gaps at the end of the race. Sainz pace in Singapore was, on average, around 0.6s slower than Leclerc (see: https://f1pace.com/p/2022-singapore-gp-race-pace/ ), which is a massive difference.

Vanja #66

johnny comelately wrote:
24 Oct 2022, 23:07
Vanja, it is about time you stopped this highly flawed bias against Sainz and withdraw all of you previous comments.
It doesnt become you or that of a mature sensible person and yet here you are a so called moderator.
It lowers the tone of discussion in here.

and if you are not a moderator, which I assumed because of the (ironically) coloured name font, the rest still stands.
First of all, I'm not a Moderator, I'm only a "Writer" even if I asked Steven to remove me from the category years ago. I only managed to write a few texts for the site and am not able to write more for a good long time now. I can't take part in moderating, disapproving and removing posts and banning other members, I'm just a plain member like you.

As for my comments and Sainz having a poor start in Texas, if you look at the replay you'll see all 5 guys behind him had a better start and Max had the best one. This is far from the first time Sainz had a poor start:

SAR - lost P3 to Max in first few corners
AUS - out in lap 2 on his own
IMO - lost P4 to Norris on start, got hit by Ricciardo later
MIA - lost P2 to Max on the start in a right-left chicane which was so simple to defend in
SPA - dropped to P6 from P3 in the first 3 corners (later again ran out on his own)
UK - lost P1 to Max in first corner
AUT - lost P3 to Hamilton in first corner, but defended on straight by going wide
FRA - lost P19 to Magnussen on start and took a while to get back
JPN - lost P3 to Perez on start, later spun out on his own in lap 1
TEX - lost P1 to Max on start and got t-boned

10/19 races with very poor performance on the start, first and second lap, that's 53% of races so far. The only place he defended like mad on start was in Hugary to keep P2 from Leclerc - his own team mate. If he was half that determined in these 10 races, he would have done much better this season.

If you don't like facts, that's not something I can help you with...
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Xyz22
Xyz22

Tired of this mediocre performance, but i guess there is nothing they can do about it.

Vanja #66

Xyz22 wrote:
26 Oct 2022, 13:19
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ff_B6yuX0AA ... me=900x900

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ff_B6ytXEAI ... me=900x900

Tired of this mediocre performance, but i guess there is nothing they can do about it.
Leclerc would have had a slightly better stint 3 on mediums and average time, had he not pushed so much in fighting Max. Seeing how he wasn't in much danger of losing P3 (and even if he lost, who cares), that was the right call by him. Fight and remind Max how hard he needs to fight you even if your car is heavily compromised.

I can't imagine how Binotto and Ferrari would have reacted to this TD039 had the engine been more reliable, they would have been in a situation were Max was now devouring their points advantage on his way to easy 2022 WDC. And all this RB cost cap cheating on top of rule change playing to RB advantage.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

search

Leclerc has surely done a better job when it comes to starts, but I think main reason is not Sainz cracking under pressure, but Ferrari's clutch. All cars using it have problems at the start again and again this year. Alfa Romeo is worst off, but everyone else is affected as well. It's very difficult to get things right

Xyz22
Xyz22

Vanja #66 wrote:
26 Oct 2022, 13:33
Xyz22 wrote:

Leclerc would have had a slightly better stint 3 on mediums and average time, had he not pushed so much in fighting Max. Seeing how he wasn't in much danger of losing P3 (and even if he lost, who cares), that was the right call by him. Fight and remind Max how hard he needs to fight you even if your car is heavily compromised.

I can't imagine how Binotto and Ferrari would have reacted to this TD039 had the engine been more reliable, they would have been in a situation were Max was now devouring their points advantage on his way to easy 2022 WDC. And all this RB cost cap cheating on top of rule change playing to RB advantage.
Fixing the PU reliability to get all the power available will be key in order to compete next year. Let's hope they will be able to produce a car competitive for the win, praying for no clown like in season regulation changes.

organic

Vanja #66 wrote:
26 Oct 2022, 13:33
Xyz22 wrote:

Well.. The graphic above is measured relative to Max who himself said he damaged the tyres fighting Charles. Plus he was trapped behind Charles for some laps so we can not just adjust it so easily