2022 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mendis
mendis

Re: 2022 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

It was senseless of Charles to be asking his team mate be relegated from podium position to gain 2nd place in WDC, a pointless achievement by any yardstick, unless he is desperate to enjoy some free drinks at FIA prize giving ceremony. 2nd place in WDC is no different than 3rd or 30th.

Andres125sx

Vanja #66 wrote:
13 Nov 2022, 21:53
Not swapping these two was such an idiotic move for the team, Leclerc needs every point to try and salvage their season with P2 in the standings. Unbelievable
What´s the reason Ferrari should order that? Any difference for Ferrari if Lecrerc finish 2nd or 3th?

Maybe I´m wrong, but in my mind TOs are only provided to secure championships, 2nd or 3th is irrelevant if that do not change team points/position as it was the case

Vanja #66

I'm sadly starting to hope Mercedes somehow finishes P2 in Constructors. Nothing else would hurt more and show the team they need to take a deep look at themselves and start thinking about the full season in every race.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Andres125sx

Vanja #66 wrote:
14 Nov 2022, 09:09
I'm sadly starting to hope Mercedes somehow finishes P2 in Constructors. Nothing else would hurt more and show the team they need to take a deep look at themselves and start thinking about the full season in every race.
You know Ferrari get same points with Sainz 3rd and Charles 4th, or Charles 3rd and Sainz 4th, right? :roll:

search

mendis wrote:
14 Nov 2022, 05:56
It was senseless of Charles to be asking his team mate be relegated from podium position to gain 2nd place in WDC, a pointless achievement by any yardstick, unless he is desperate to enjoy some free drinks at FIA prize giving ceremony. 2nd place in WDC is no different than 3rd or 30th.
I agree. In my opinion, a podium is more valuable than 2nd in WDC, so taking it away from Sainz would have been a bad move.

dfegan358
dfegan358

It’s hard to not feel deflated by the end of season performances. I just have no real optimism that we Will compete for championship next year. It’s more likely to be red bull v Mercedes again imo. Hope I’m wrong.

Vanja #66

Andres125sx wrote:
14 Nov 2022, 09:12
You know Ferrari get same points with Sainz 3rd and Charles 4th, or Charles 3rd and Sainz 4th, right? :roll:
Andres, it was quite clear I was making a general statement and not replying to you. I'm disappointed with the team, not Sainz, who did a decent job this weekend. Please don't reply to my posts just for the sake of replying to my posts.

#BlessYouLaddie

F1NAC

One more to go. End of pain. Hopefully there is something to look for next year.

The strategy was good. Great recovery drive from Charles. Too bad that orange truck punted him off. Incredible.

Xyz22
Xyz22

Andres125sx wrote:
14 Nov 2022, 09:08
Vanja #66 wrote:
Not swapping these two was such an idiotic move for the team, Leclerc needs every point to try and salvage their season with P2 in the standings. Unbelievable
What´s the reason Ferrari should order that? Any difference for Ferrari if Lecrerc finish 2nd or 3th?

Maybe I´m wrong, but in my mind TOs are only provided to secure championships, 2nd or 3th is irrelevant if that do not change team points/position as it was the case
The reason is that the team "stole" 3 wins from Leclerc this season and already destroyed this weekend during qualifying. They never supported him, not in terms of development or strategy. First time he asked for help (which was already planned according to him), because he wants to at least get P2 in the WDC, and they said no :D

Anyway as i already said after the sprint the pace was terrible compared to the Mercedes. RB was the outlier with a very bad performance.

Vanja #66

All the unfortunate races for Leclerc this year (races with bad setup not counting):

Saudi Arabia - Max cut the distance to under 1s under VSC, putting him in a position to attack and take P1
Spain - engine DNF
Monaco - pit wall blunder
Azerbaijan - engine DNF
Canada - engine penalty
Silverstone - pit wall blunder
France - slightest error and reverse not working resulted in DNF
Hungary - pit wall blunder
Belgium - engine penalty, visor tear-off stuck in brake duct
Netherlands - VSC+SC played out badly for his race finish
Singapore - starting from wetter side of the track and losing P1
Texas - engine penalty
Brazil - spun into wall by another driver

And with poor setup races (Imola, Miami) and Mexico just being bad track for the car, that's 16/21 races somehow compromised with different outcomes. 13 of those 16 races were severely compromised. That's even worse than last year and more than half of all races. Even if most races from Spain to Hungary played out differently, WDC would still have been out of reach with all this unfortune. It simply wasn't meant to be.

#BlessYouLaddie

Andres125sx

Vanja #66 wrote:
14 Nov 2022, 10:24
Andres125sx wrote:
14 Nov 2022, 09:12
Andres, it was quite clear I was making a general statement and not replying to you. I'm disappointed with the team, not Sainz, who did a decent job this weekend. Please don't reply to my posts just for the sake of replying to my posts.
I never reply anyone's posts just for the shake of replying. If my replies highlight something absurd from your post that's a different story, but that's what discussion forums are about, aren't they?

Ferrari had no interest at all to provide TOs, they win nothing, 2nd or 3rd in the WDC is irrelevant, and 3rd-4th or 4th-3rd in the race changes nothing for Ferrari either, so there was no reason to provide TOs, even if Lecrerc fans take it as an offence if Ferrari decide to not steal a deserved podium for Sainz

Andres125sx

Xyz22 wrote:
14 Nov 2022, 11:25
Andres125sx wrote:
Vanja #66 wrote:

The reason is that the team "stole" 3 wins from Leclerc this season and already destroyed this weekend during qualifying. They never supported him, not in terms of development or strategy. First time he asked for help (which was already planned according to him), because he wants to at least get P2 in the WDC, and they said no :D

Anyway as i already said after the sprint the pace was terrible compared to the Mercedes. RB was the outlier with a very bad performance.
Term stole is BOLD, Ferrari did some mistakes, true, but would you say Lecrerc stole Ferrari victory for crashing at Monaco Q? No way, mistakes are mistakes, at both sides

But providing TOs in Brazil... That actually would have been stealing a podium to Sainz, as there was no sensible reason to move Sainz out of that deserved podium

People complaining about lack of fairness, asking for unfair orders... The irony

JPower
JPower

Leclerc’s request was extremely unreasonable and Ferrari was absolutely right to refuse it.

He was frustrated from Lando ruining his race but still, given his gap to Sainz that was never going work. He sounded petulant.

Regardless, he had a great come back and drove his ass off.

Sainz looked great and like I said Saturday, has seem to finally understand the car and tires in a way he didn’t over most of the season. The second medium stint was very good IMO.

I think the move to bin Rueda will be made in the off season among other things. I’m still optimistic about the team and car going into 2023.

EDIT: Also, should shout out FDA junior Ollie Bearman for moving up to F2. He’s at Prema which means if he’s as good as advertised he should able to compete up front.

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

JPower wrote:
14 Nov 2022, 14:34
Leclerc’s request was extremely unreasonable and Ferrari was absolutely right to refuse it.

He was frustrated from Lando ruining his race but still, given his gap to Sainz that was never going work. He sounded petulant.

Regardless, he had a great come back and drove his ass off.

Sainz looked great and like I said Saturday, has seem to finally understand the car and tires in a way he didn’t over most of the season. The second medium stint was very good IMO.

I think the move to bin Rueda will be made in the off season among other things. I’m still optimistic about the team and car going into 2023.

EDIT: Also, should shout out FDA junior Ollie Bearman for moving up to F2. He’s at Prema which means if he’s as good as advertised he should able to compete up front.
Hear hear. I honestly don’t see it’s right to give team orders based on what was unfolding on track. I’ve not been a fan of their calls on the pit walls (who has!) but they got this one right imho

codetower

Andres125sx wrote:
Vanja #66 wrote:

So do you think it was also senseless for RB to issue the order to Verstappen to let Perez pass?

Honestly I am OK that the team didn't ask Carlos to let Charles through (I've said multiple times in the past that I prefer drivers earn their race, not handed to them), but at the same time I understand Charles' request. He's fighting for 2nd place, he's frustrated with Quali, frustrated with being almost crashed out of the race, having to come back from dead last at one point. After the race he seemed to be fine with it.