2022 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Xyz22
Xyz22

Re: 2022 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

codetower wrote:
14 Nov 2022, 15:02
Andres125sx wrote:
14 Nov 2022, 09:08
Vanja #66 wrote:
13 Nov 2022, 21:53
Not swapping these two was such an idiotic move for the team, Leclerc needs every point to try and salvage their season with P2 in the standings. Unbelievable
What´s the reason Ferrari should order that? Any difference for Ferrari if Lecrerc finish 2nd or 3th?

Maybe I´m wrong, but in my mind TOs are only provided to secure championships, 2nd or 3th is irrelevant if that do not change team points/position as it was the case
So do you think it was also senseless for RB to issue the order to Verstappen to let Perez pass?

Honestly I am OK that the team didn't ask Carlos to let Charles through (I've said multiple times in the past that I prefer drivers earn their race, not handed to them), but at the same time I understand Charles' request. He's fighting for 2nd place, he's frustrated with Quali, frustrated with being almost crashed out of the race, having to come back from dead last at one point. After the race he seemed to be fine with it.
He was absolutely not "fine" with it at the end of the race. It was clear from his body language and tone that he is done with the bullshit.

kediown

According to Leo Turrini, Mattia Binotto is on hot seat! He even mentions two possible replacements: Frédéric - Vasseur, director of the Alfa Romeo team - Antonello Coletta, GT Program Director at Ferrari.
How reliable is this source?

codetower

kediown wrote:
14 Nov 2022, 16:16
According to Leo Turrini, Mattia Binotto is on hot seat! He even mentions two possible replacements: Frédéric - Vasseur, director of the Alfa Romeo team - Antonello Coletta, GT Program Director at Ferrari.
It's a shame. I think Binotto has done a decent job all things considered. My only knock on him is that he appears too lenient. I think before he gets binned, a change should be at least be considered with Padros, Rueda and possibly Mekies (not sure if replacing Mekies is a big issue now).

* Edited to remove redundant twitter post.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Vasseur? :wtf:

That would be a downgrade.
A lion must kill its prey.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Ferrari have been victims of blame culture in the past, and I believe that is why they appear to be overcompensating now by basically not letting anyone go or reshuffling, even though some perhaps need to go.

As for Mattia. Ferrari can't get rid of Mattia. He knows too much. If they did sack him, he would go straight to Audi-Sauber. Remember, Matthia is a swiss-born Italian.

aleks_ader

I would be fine with Mattia as technical officer. Sporting director and track operations should take care by outsider. I don't know Mekkies. Maybe he is that person...
Last edited by aleks_ader on 14 Nov 2022, 19:57, edited 1 time in total.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

F1NAC

kediown wrote:
Not really.. He had some wild takes in the past. Also a lot of rumours during preseason ended up being false.

As for replacing Binotto.... Well, actions speak for themselves. Guy inherited a team that was in a messy period. Having lost a battle for the championship during 2018... Nerfing engine, Covid rules with homologated chassis. It was tough. I think he shouldn't be fired. I hope that they can take strategist away from AF corse, and replace current guys. I think this season was a real test, having competitive car (until TD struck) . If they learned something from this year, then everything can be forgiven. But only if they learnt.

We will see. March can't come soon enough.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

F1NAC wrote:
14 Nov 2022, 17:42
kediown wrote:
I hope that they can take strategist away from AF corse,
AF Corse should be cherished, not pillaged. My biggest fear is getting F1 team strategist swapped to the LMP program.

Considering the amount of damage Rueda can do in a 90 minute sprint race, it would be horror in a 24 hour endurance race :lol:

jumpingfish

They need not to fire Mattia, but to hire someone to be the team leader, allowing Binotto to focus on the car. This boss must be a fighter and start defending the interests of the team, increasing the political influence of Ferrari, otherwise directives will come out in the middle of the season, throwing the team back. Appeared Aston Martin as a safety car? One of the cars from Maranello should have appeared too. Let it be once at the Grand Prix in Monza, for example, then in Imola / Mugello, and then completely oust Mercedes / Aston from this role.

The watchful eye must be in the FIA ​​environment so that "instantly" car upgrades can appear the day after allowing to install something (like a second stay to reduce porpoising). 8)

It is also necessary to strengthen the department responsible for strategies and they must learn how to make decisions quickly, before the driver passes the entrance to the pits.

F1NAC

jumpingfish wrote:
14 Nov 2022, 18:00
They need not to fire Mattia, but to hire someone to be the team leader, allowing Binotto to focus on the car. This boss must be a fighter and start defending the interests of the team, increasing the political influence of Ferrari, otherwise directives will come out in the middle of the season, throwing the team back. Appeared Aston Martin as a safety car? One of the cars from Maranello should have appeared too. Let it be once at the Grand Prix in Monza, for example, then in Imola / Mugello, and then completely oust Mercedes / Aston from this role.

The watchful eye must be in the FIA ​​environment so that "instantly" car upgrades can appear the day after allowing to install something (like a second stay to reduce porpoising). 8)

It is also necessary to strengthen the department responsible for strategies and they must learn how to make decisions quickly, before the driver passes the entrance to the pits.
I doubt Binotto would accept downgrading his position. It will be TP or nothing.

I think organisation regarding car development is fine. They did build a great car this year. It was harmed by bad decisions from the pitwall and driver mistakes. Final nail in the coffin was TD.

After that they basically didn't bring any upgrade because

a) constraints because budget cap
b) title was already gone

For engine we knew it will kinda be powerful and explosive, but someone should have in mind how far were they 2 years ago and basically redoing engine from scratch. I can accept this logic because of engine homologation.

one thing here is common. Rueda must go

jumpingfish

F1NAC wrote:
14 Nov 2022, 18:13
jumpingfish wrote:

I doubt Binotto would accept downgrading his position. It will be TP or nothing.

I think organisation regarding car development is fine. They did build a great car this year. It was harmed by bad decisions from the pitwall and driver mistakes. Final nail in the coffin was TD.

For engine we knew it will kinda be powerful and explosive, but someone should have in mind how far were they 2 years ago and basically redoing engine from scratch. I can accept this logic because of engine homologation.

That's why I say Ferrari should improve their political weight. That engine 2 years ago, if they made it as they think absolutely legally (using something smart) shouldn't be banned ever. Binotto seems too soft. I'm affraid something will happen during 2023 season so Ferrari will struggle again after clarifying rules or procedures :(

Big Tea

The revolving door of this position seems to suggest that is not where the problem lies.

Either those choosing the person in this position do not know what they are doing, which means they are just as likely not to get the replacement right, or they are being instructed by 'outside influences' who to pick.

Assuming the persons doing the job are not the wrong ones, it then suggests that they are not being allowed to actually do the job as they want, which is the same problem as above.

Something other than team principle has to be changed, it has been done several times with the same result
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Andres125sx

codetower wrote:
14 Nov 2022, 15:02
Andres125sx wrote:
14 Nov 2022, 09:08
Vanja #66 wrote:
13 Nov 2022, 21:53
Not swapping these two was such an idiotic move for the team, Leclerc needs every point to try and salvage their season with P2 in the standings. Unbelievable
What´s the reason Ferrari should order that? Any difference for Ferrari if Lecrerc finish 2nd or 3th?

Maybe I´m wrong, but in my mind TOs are only provided to secure championships, 2nd or 3th is irrelevant if that do not change team points/position as it was the case
So do you think it was also senseless for RB to issue the order to Verstappen to let Perez pass?

Honestly I am OK that the team didn't ask Carlos to let Charles through (I've said multiple times in the past that I prefer drivers earn their race, not handed to them), but at the same time I understand Charles' request. He's fighting for 2nd place, he's frustrated with Quali, frustrated with being almost crashed out of the race, having to come back from dead last at one point. After the race he seemed to be fine with it.
As a general rule, yes, that was also senseless. But there are some differences with both scenarios wich makes me understand RBR order:

1- Max is the only driver on the grid who´s not fighting for anything, he could have stayed at home last 2 GPs and he´d be the Champion anycase, so he had nothing to loose. Sainz otoh is also fighting for WDC position, so he certainly would lose with that order
2- Max was not on the podium, so 6th or 7th makes no difference at all. OTOH Sainz was on podium, so apart from the points for the championship, he´d also loose a podium and trophy.

Basically, both Lecrerc and Perez would have benefitted from TOs for their fight for 2nd at the WDC, difference is for Max there was no problem at all, points lost would mean nothing for him, and there was no podium in play, while for Sainz points lost could be the difference to climb some position in the WDC or not, and also he was on the podium so he´d be deprived from a deserved trophy.

With these differences in mind, I can understand RBR order

tpe
tpe

I watched today the 1st past of the race.
And honestly, I cannot understand whyLeclerc did so few laps with the Mediums. Was it so bad tyre?

I will not comment on the collision with Norris, I believe Leclerc should wait a bit more.
Anyway, the race was very strange.

As for Binotto. The image we get is that he re-organized the team.
But on the other hand, operations are awful. His responsibility as a TP is to fix it. If he cannot do this, then he has to go. At end of the day, he had 3-4 years for this.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

F1NAC wrote:
14 Nov 2022, 18:13
jumpingfish wrote:

Binotto could remain team principal, but he should be required to delegate certain sporting roles. I like the points that jumpingfish made above. TD039 was a tragedy. Typically a change like that should only come over a winter.