2022 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - Yas Marina, Nov 18 - 20

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
atanatizante

Re: 2022 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - Yas Marina, Nov 18 - 20

Worth mentioning that from the top 3 teams in qualy Ferrari was clipping first one down the straights with RB being the last, obviously...
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

atanatizante wrote:
20 Nov 2022, 00:13
Seeing the top speeds after qualy we could see that in the last 8 places there are both Merc, Macca and Aston Martin drivers... then taking into account what Leclerc said about medium tyres after FP2 race sim laps and what Pirelli saying tomorrow it will be a 2 stop race due to being wrong for bringing a step to softer tyres here, then I think that Merc and the customer teams will try to do a one-stop race... for Merc works team it's a no brainer to start on M tyres (the have no stress from behind) followed by a 1 stop for hard tyres bearing in mind that all year (and especially lately) they were kinder to the tyres, then the delta time between hard and soft tyres are within 5 tenths here with C5-C4 and C3 tyres and last but not least for the fact that last year the choosed the same strategy and had a better race pace compared to RB, at least from HAM point of view...
Mercedes will be incredibly vulnerable on the opening lap if they start on mediums. Two big straights and they are parachutes with wheels. The time they lose fussing with the midfielders like Norris will take away the advantage of starting on mediums. The trick to starting on mediums is not throwing away all the time you were suppose to gain over the stint, in the opening lap.
A lion must kill its prey.

Ben1980
Ben1980

Last race of the season. Its been a bit meh overall. Think the title winner was picked after a few races.

Hopefully next season will be better.

organic

Rooting for a checo win tomorrow

Henri
Henri

Newey is a genuis making perez level drivers lock out the front row.. its a rocketship

search

AR3-GP wrote:
20 Nov 2022, 00:50
atanatizante wrote:
Seeing the top speeds after qualy we could see that in the last 8 places there are both Merc, Macca and Aston Martin drivers... then taking into account what Leclerc said about medium tyres after FP2 race sim laps and what Pirelli saying tomorrow it will be a 2 stop race due to being wrong for bringing a step to softer tyres here, then I think that Merc and the customer teams will try to do a one-stop race... for Merc works team it's a no brainer to start on M tyres (the have no stress from behind) followed by a 1 stop for hard tyres bearing in mind that all year (and especially lately) they were kinder to the tyres, then the delta time between hard and soft tyres are within 5 tenths here with C5-C4 and C3 tyres and last but not least for the fact that last year the choosed the same strategy and had a better race pace compared to RB, at least from HAM point of view...
Mercedes will be incredibly vulnerable on the opening lap if they start on mediums. Two big straights and they are parachutes with wheels. The time they lose fussing with the midfielders like Norris will take away the advantage of starting on mediums. The trick to starting on mediums is not throwing away all the time you were suppose to gain over the stint, in the opening lap.
I don't think anyone will start on Softs. Alpha Tauri maybe, but that's it.

edit: and Mercedes had the worst degradation of all teams on Friday, btw. That's why they changed the setup

Stu

atanatizante wrote:
They Magic Alonso starting in 11th.

…1st lap shenanigans!…
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

sosic2121
sosic2121

atanatizante wrote:
20 Nov 2022, 00:31
Worth mentioning that from the top 3 teams in qualy Ferrari was clipping first one down the straights with RB being the last, obviously...
I think Binotto said at the beginning of the season that they compromised energy generation in order to gain somewhere else.

Maybe this could explain their lack of race pace (compared to qualifying) whole season.

This reminds me of another failed compromise, when they sacrificed power in 2014 for aero reasons.

djones
djones

Mercedes (and Ferrari) need to not come second in the constructors. The extra development resource is worth a lot more than saying you were first of the losers.

Third in the championship will give them a net 20% more aero time than Redbull in 2023?

Mogster

djones wrote:
20 Nov 2022, 12:22
Mercedes (and Ferrari) need to not come second in the constructors. The extra development resource is worth a lot more than saying you were first of the losers.

Third in the championship will give them a net 20% more aero time than Redbull in 2023?
I’m sure there are different departments within each team who could give good reasons for each scenario being of benefit, FOM money 2nd or additional development time 3rd.

Merc have said repeatedly that they’d rather have second in the WCC.

sosic2121
sosic2121

Mogster wrote:
20 Nov 2022, 13:28
djones wrote:
20 Nov 2022, 12:22

I’m sure there are different departments within each team who could give good reasons for each scenario being of benefit, FOM money 2nd or additional development time 3rd.

Merc have said repeatedly that they’d rather have second in the WCC.
Well, if Toto said that, they are probably aiming for 3rd :lol:

djones
djones

The smaller teams probably need the money from higher places. But I doubt Mercedes are short of cash to pump in.

Wouter

HIS LAST RACE! :cry:

The Power of Dreams!

chrisc90

Yeah, theres absolutely no benefit to Mercedes finishing 2nd in the WCC. Aside from it looking slightly better on the trophy for the cabinet and the statistics chart when you look back. 8xP1 and then a P3. Doesnt quite sit the same. Mercedes have plenty of money, they will also have more windtunnel time next season than Fer and RB (as I doubt they will pull a 20point deficit off to ferrari today.
I would rather have the greater time in the tunnel/CFD - unless of course there are greater underlying problems beneath the covers we dont know about. but its almost better for any team to have more windtunnel than their competitor. Im sure Mercedes aero guys have the knowledge to optimise that...... OR do they?

chrisc90

A nice tribute from Ferrari too.