2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
ScottR267
ScottR267

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

https://www.grandprix.com/news/who-bene ... round.html

Says Williams have been losing staff to McLaren…..any ideas as to whom and what areas they work in?

continuum16

Interesting to see that the early exit was actually a push from Sauber management after Vasseur was leaving.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/seidl ... /10410992/

I don’t think this changes McLaren’s overall trajectory that much. Seidl and Brown made the major course correction already from 2017-19. If Seidl was going to leave after 2025, avoiding three years (!) of lame-duck management is best for all parties. Also having Stella in charge now with McLaren completing all its infrastructure projects in 18-24 months, it makes more sense for him to have a head start, assuming the desired improvements actually do materialize. If they don’t, bye bye Lando…
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain

diffuser

AR3-GP wrote:
13 Dec 2022, 18:10
Ground Effect wrote:
13 Dec 2022, 18:04
AR3-GP wrote:
13 Dec 2022, 17:28
I would consider Norris's contract to be very very vulnerable if Mclaren don't start winning races in the next 1-2 years. He'll be off to Audi w/ Seidl.
What makes you so sure Audi will be winning straight away?
I never said they'd be winning straight away. I simply think that philosophically, Norris will shift towards a different project if Mclaren can't come up with the goods after 3-4 years.

Think of it like Hamilton making the jump to Mercedes. Sauber won a race within 2-3 years of being taken over by BMW.
Norris has been approached by RBR and said no, for now. He can go where ever he wants, when wants, if he keeps driving as he is. So yes Norris is at risk.

It's a good reason to have a Driver CAP. WE don't want all the BEST drivers to end up on 3 or 4 teams.

djos

ScottR267 wrote:
13 Dec 2022, 13:33
djos wrote:
13 Dec 2022, 13:18
ScottR267 wrote:
13 Dec 2022, 13:15

Agreed. Bar Key and Seidl, cannot remember which the last big name into the team!
I can, Adrian Newey.
Haha 😂! Surely was Peter Prodromou in 2013/14 was it?
Peter was a bit of a let down, so I’m ignoring him.
"In downforce we trust"

djos

diffuser wrote:
13 Dec 2022, 13:36
djos wrote:
13 Dec 2022, 13:18
ScottR267 wrote:
13 Dec 2022, 13:15

Agreed. Bar Key and Seidl, cannot remember which the last big name into the team!
I can, Adrian Newey.
Adrian Newey signing is not in the same league as Seidl...Seidl is no Adrian Newey. Seidl is just a good Manager. Newey was the Williams Chief engineer, at the time, that had just won more than two thirds of the constructors championships in the years he spent at Williams. James Key would have been if he was as good as Newey and he's not. Few are.
I was just trying to inject some humour into a rubbish situation.

PS Stella is a great choice to replace Seidel.
"In downforce we trust"

MrGapes

ScottR267 wrote:
13 Dec 2022, 19:20

Says Williams have been losing staff to McLaren…..any ideas as to whom and what areas they work in?
Saw a post where Stella said they are expanding the Aerodynamics team, they know the weaknesses they have, a lot of it is because of the infrastructure, but believes bringing in more people will help.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

MrGapes wrote:
14 Dec 2022, 01:24
ScottR267 wrote:

Saw a post where Stella said they are expanding the Aerodynamics team, they know the weaknesses they have, a lot of it is because of the infrastructure, but believes bringing in more people will help.
The article stated they're loosing staff to most of the upper midfield, junior staff to be exact. Perhaps that's the real reason McLaren improved so much at pit stops, Williams used to be right up there.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

diffuser

Ground Effect wrote:
14 Dec 2022, 07:39
MrGapes wrote:
ScottR267 wrote:

The article stated they're loosing staff to most of the upper midfield, junior staff to be exact. Perhaps that's the real reason McLaren improved so much at pit stops, Williams used to be right up there.
I wonder if Porsche are bringing in their own people. Kind of surprised Josh left.

mwillems

MrGapes wrote:
ScottR267 wrote:

There was a Mclaren engineer who posted the same, they were aware of the knowledge gaps in the team and were looking to plug them, with some of the movements already beginning to happen, but the impression I got was that there was not an immediate fix. There are three teams clearly ahead in the pecking order and then 3 teams alongside who can fight with us, namely Aston, Alpine and Audi (to be). It's slim pickings for us until we catch a break, as soon as we start breaking into the top 3 it will change. Money might be better for everyone in terms of development because of the budget cap, but it also means that the less successful teams can't just throw cash at people. Success still begets success.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

diffuser

MrGapes wrote:
ScottR267 wrote:

I read that two of them went to Alpine ...

Matthew Gibbons - composites design engineer left Williams for Alpine.

Craig Burrow - composites design engineer left Williams for Alpine also.

Didn't hear of anyone going to McLaren.

It was also reported by BlackOpts that Alpine have acquired a VTT (Virtual Test Track). McLaren rents space at AVL in Graz for the VTT.

No mention if Aston has one. I'd presume not. If they don't, they'll likely be getting one as soon as they have space with all the construction going on. They are spending money like a drunken sailor.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

diffuser wrote:
15 Dec 2022, 20:06
MrGapes wrote:
ScottR267 wrote:

It was also reported by BlackOpts that Alpine have acquired a VTT (Virtual Test Track). McLaren rents space at AVL in Graz for the VTT.

No mention if Aston has one. I'd presume not. If they don't, they'll likely be getting one as soon as they have space with all the construction going on. They are spending money like a drunken sailor.
Sauber will have one shortly if Audi has anything to do with it.
A lion must kill its prey.

geogate
geogate

this is an absolute treat - looking at the MP4/4 with the guys that designed and built it. Some great old Mclaren boys telling stories

diffuser

AR3-GP wrote:
15 Dec 2022, 21:17
diffuser wrote:
MrGapes wrote:

Sauber will have one shortly if Audi has anything to do with it.
I haven't heard of anyone leaving Saubre either. Well except the obvious one, who would likely have been let go.

MrGapes

diffuser wrote:
MrGapes wrote:
ScottR267 wrote:

I’m pretty sure Red Bull also use the one in Graz

Mostlyeels
Mostlyeels

geogate wrote:
15 Dec 2022, 23:24
this is an absolute treat - looking at the MP4/4 with the guys that designed and built it. Some great old Mclaren boys telling stories
Hugely enjoyable, thanks for posting.