2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Mostlyeels
Mostlyeels

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Could you link to the original article, so I can see some of the context around the quote?

_cerber1

Mostlyeels wrote:
28 Dec 2022, 08:22
Could you link to the original article, so I can see some of the context around the quote?
Stella shared his expectations for the 2023 season. I don't know where to find the original source.

https://f1report.ru/news/f1-76909.html

haza
haza

_cerber1 wrote:
28 Dec 2022, 09:40
Mostlyeels wrote:
28 Dec 2022, 08:22
Stella shared his expectations for the 2023 season. I don't know where to find the original source.

https://f1report.ru/news/f1-76909.html
The full article

The head of "McLaren" Andrea Stella shared his expectations for the 2023 season.

"Ferrari, Red Bull, Mercedes will continue to be the leading in the 2022 season. These teams are still another league. Mercedes will have a strong season, and Ferrari is very happy with the new car, so the team will be competitive at the beginning of the season.

I think the start will be difficult, but we have high hopes for the second part of the season. The main thing is to create a fast car. It is important to set simple goals, but it may not be so easy to achieve them. You need to win back a second or a second and a half against competitors. We must develop even faster, as other teams can also have progress.

You need to be realistic and understand that there are structural limitations. But from a financial point of view, our situation is good, so we will do our best to get closer to the top teams.

McLarenAndrea Stella

CjC
CjC

So it’s still a down beat atmosphere🤦🏼‍♂️
Just a fan's point of view

diffuser

CjC wrote:
28 Dec 2022, 10:30
So it’s still a down beat atmosphere🤦🏼‍♂️
He's speculating on what he assumes Ferrari and Merc are doing in the off season.

I've said this before, forget the top 3, the battle for forth is gonna get even more crowded. They can easily end up 6th next year.

haza
haza

I can see McLaren being in no mans land at the start of the season ahead of the midfield but still behind the top 3 and will catch up to them in the later stages of the season. Wherever they finishes next season I’m holding my hopes to 24 with the new wind tunnel facilities

mwillems

Anything can happen including dropping to the back of the midfield.

I'll be waiting to see what the team produce for next year. The right words from the team do not translate into a fast car, nor do realism from the team produce a slow car.

Or has everyone forgotten how "fast" we were last year before we raced in anger?
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

djos

Who wants to put money on Oscar beating Lando in 23’ and even getting his first win before him?

🥷
"In downforce we trust"

diffuser

djos wrote: Who wants to put money on Oscar beating Lando in 23’ and even getting his first win before him?

🥷
I wouldn't. I wouldn't even put money on 2025.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

McLaren struggled more than others with 18-inch tyres, due in part to car characteristics

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/why- ... /10415292/

So looks like my suspicions were right. The tyres were a major problem for Daniel.

The consensus in the camp is that Lando Norris was better able to cope with the tyres than his teammate Daniel Ricciardo.

"There's a point at which there's the drivers as well, they play a role in adapting to this," said Stella.
"And we have seen in this couple of years that certainly for Daniel, the window in which he is comfortable, is slightly narrower than Lando, let's say.

"So these characteristics that I described before, affected his performance. When they don't show up that much I think Daniel is actually quite okay, from a performance point of view. While when these characteristics are pronounced, for whatever reasons, then I think this affects his performance.
"And what we have seen is that Lando is a slightly more capable of sort of dealing with that. So the fundamental element is tyres, the car characteristic mitigate it, and then you have the drivers on top of it that play a further role."
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

djos

It’s nice to see Mclaren management finally admit that the car was deeply flawed!

Just a shame it killed Daniels confidence and caused him to be pushed out of the team!
"In downforce we trust"

PhillipM
PhillipM

That's not what was said at all, but sure, run with the silly take. Daniel would have struggled anywhere with this years tyres. As anyone with any sense has been posting for the rest of the year.

djos

PhillipM wrote:
30 Dec 2022, 00:34
That's not what was said at all, but sure, run with the silly take. Daniel would have struggled anywhere with this years tyres. As anyone with any sense has been posting for the rest of the year.
Sounds like a fundamental car design flaw to me!
"Then on top of the tyres, you add the car characteristics that kind of mitigate the underlying fundamental behaviour of the tyres. And depending on how strong this mitigation element is coming from the car, the more you can be able to exploit the available grip.

"I think, definitely, there's some aspects of our car that don't mitigate well this underlying behaviour of the tyres. But ultimately, I think it's the same for everyone."
"So you could argue that certain aspects of our car's behaviour is a little similar to last year,but there's also other factors which weren't there last year as well. So it's not like we're stuck in a rut with that particular problem.
"In downforce we trust"

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

djos wrote:
30 Dec 2022, 00:29
It’s nice to see Mclaren management finally admit that the car was deeply flawed!

Just a shame it killed Daniels confidence and caused him to be pushed out of the team!
9 cars this year were "deeply flawed". The bouncing Mercedes from start of year looked worse than anything the Mclaren was doing.

I'm not sure why you want to blame everything on Mclaren even though the other driver bagged a podium and P7 in the WDC classification.

where was this deeply flawed car when Daniel won in Monza?
A lion must kill its prey.

djos

AR3-GP wrote:
30 Dec 2022, 05:17
djos wrote:
30 Dec 2022, 00:29

9 cars this year were "deeply flawed". The bouncing Mercedes from start of year looked worse than anything the Mclaren was doing.

I'm not sure why you want to blame everything on Mclaren even though the other driver bagged a podium and P7 in the WDC classification.

where was this deeply flawed car when Daniel won in Monza?
Considering the 36 didn’t bag a single podium all year, it clearly went backwards from a performance PoV compared to the 35M.
"In downforce we trust"