2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Stu

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

What has this line of thread diversion have to do with the 2022 McLaren F1 Team thread?
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

mwillems

Stu wrote:
01 Jan 2023, 16:50
What has this line of thread diversion have to do with the 2022 McLaren F1 Team thread?
You need to apply Kepner Tregoe to understand that, that way the words make sense.
Don't bother with a dictionary.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

shotzski

ScottR267 wrote:
01 Jan 2023, 03:59
So it appears from the updated partners page from the website, the team have lost the below partners:

Gulf Oil
Datarobot
Klipsch
Stratatys
Ashurst
Mazak
Hookit
Technogym

No huge loss of money to the team I would suggest and more than likely Zak finds replacements.

P.S. Happy New Year all
Happy new year everyone!

Stratasys is still listed as their partner.
Surprised to see Coca Cola still on board. Also Tezos, as they recently left Red Bull

ScottR267
ScottR267

shotzski wrote:
02 Jan 2023, 05:22
ScottR267 wrote:
01 Jan 2023, 03:59
So it appears from the updated partners page from the website, the team have lost the below partners:

Gulf Oil
Datarobot
Klipsch
Stratatys
Ashurst
Mazak
Hookit
Technogym

No huge loss of money to the team I would suggest and more than likely Zak finds replacements.

P.S. Happy New Year all
Happy new year everyone!

Stratasys is still listed as their partner.
Surprised to see Coca Cola still on board. Also Tezos, as they recently left Red Bull
Correct you are Stratasys are still listed….clearly should’ve put the glasses on eh!

Coca Cola until last year did their extension announcements fairly late….however there wasn’t one at all last year and their staff car dropped off the car and race suits

Darth-Piekus

In the meantime Ive seen a new interview from Andrea Stella predicting that Mclaren will be chasing again and it bothers me that we cant close that gap.

MrGapes

Darth-Piekus wrote:
04 Jan 2023, 08:11
In the meantime Ive seen a new interview from Andrea Stella predicting that Mclaren will be chasing again and it bothers me that we cant close that gap.
I don't understand why everyone is surprised.. the team have repeated the same thing over and over again... this car is still being designed with outdated infrastructure...they have said this several times every year and people are still surprised every time they don't break into the top 3.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

MrGapes wrote:
04 Jan 2023, 08:13
Darth-Piekus wrote:
I don't understand why everyone is surprised.. the team have repeated the same thing over and over again... this car is still being designed with outdated infrastructure...they have said this several times every year and people are still surprised every time they don't break into the top 3.
Exactly! I mean, Zak even made it known that McLaren are on a 5 year plan, which by the end of, should be challenging for wins. If you consider the disruption of Covid, then they're still within the time frame. No team has broken in and has started challenging the top 3 in between, not Renault/Alpine, not Racing Point/Aston Martin. Things don't just magically happen. Let's see the kind of progress the team makes in 2023, especially the second half.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Ground Effect wrote:
04 Jan 2023, 09:54
MrGapes wrote:
Darth-Piekus wrote:
Exactly! I mean, Zak even made it known that McLaren are on a 5 year plan, which by the end of, should be challenging for wins. If you consider the disruption of Covid, then they're still within the time frame. No team has broken in and has started challenging the top 3 in between, not Renault/Alpine, not Racing Point/Aston Martin. Things don't just magically happen. Let's see the kind of progress the team makes in 2023, especially the second half.
This is all rather optimistic....Until they have their own engine, they aren't going to challenge for wins. The Mercedes PU was designed for the no-pod concept.
A lion must kill its prey.

ScottR267
ScottR267

Ground Effect wrote:
04 Jan 2023, 09:54
MrGapes wrote:
Darth-Piekus wrote:
Couldn’t agree more with your thoughts and sentiments. Until the infrastructure projects are completed and are being used by the team we are at a deficient to the top teams. Hopefully once these come online, alongside the new engineers McLaren are looking to hire, the second half of the year will be more fruitful and hopefully can cut the gap to the big 3.

ME4ME

When exactly did this 5 year plan start? When Zak Brown became CEO?

PhillipM
PhillipM

Have to say the feeling I get from speaking to a few guys at the factory is more subdued than last winter already - they think they have a sound base car now but they're worried about the new front tyres - apparently the construction itself is different, it's not just a softer compound - and they deform differently to how was expected. There's already some small fixes going into the car for that.

the EDGE
the EDGE

PhillipM wrote:
04 Jan 2023, 14:24
Have to say the feeling I get from speaking to a few guys at the factory is more subdued than last winter already - they think they have a sound base car now but they're worried about the new front tyres - apparently the construction itself is different, it's not just a softer compound - and they deform differently to how was expected. There's already some small fixes going into the car for that.
I Usually look forward to your insight Phillip, obviously not today however!

When was the first time teams got to sample the ‘23 tyres? Surely it would have been some time ago, and not the post season test, as teams need this data to design

I assume the change to structure would be a surprise, and affect all teams, equally

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

the EDGE wrote:
04 Jan 2023, 18:22
PhillipM wrote:
I Usually look forward to your insight Phillip, obviously not today however!

When was the first time teams got to sample the ‘23 tyres? Surely it would have been some time ago, and not the post season test, as teams need this data to design

I assume the change to structure would be a surprise, and affect all teams, equally
There was 90 minute free practice of experimental tires held at 2 of the GPs. I believe Austin was one of them. Mexico was the other. However with those test, it wasn't neccesarily the 2023 spec, but more so prototype tires which were to aid in finalization of the '23 tire.
A lion must kill its prey.

CjC
CjC

PhillipM wrote:
Understeering-ell again😬
Just a fan's point of view

diffuser

ME4ME wrote:
04 Jan 2023, 12:52
When exactly did this 5 year plan start? When Zak Brown became CEO?
Not sure what you're getting at. You suggesting they get rid of Zak if he doesn't make his 5 year plan ?