2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
PhillipM
PhillipM

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

CjC wrote:
04 Jan 2023, 19:02
Understeering-ell again😬
Maybe not, seemed to be more aero/tyre squirt effects down the line. It sounds like the front tyres actually have more grip which is promising for Mclaren - but with the caveat that they're harder to warm up so it might get even trickier for some teams to nail a setup.

CjC
CjC

PhillipM wrote:
04 Jan 2023, 20:40
CjC wrote:
04 Jan 2023, 19:02
Understeering-ell again😬
Maybe not, seemed to be more aero/tyre squirt effects down the line. It sounds like the front tyres actually have more grip which is promising for Mclaren - but with the caveat that they're harder to warm up so it might get even trickier for some teams to nail a setup.
That’s no better🤦🏼‍♂️
There seems to be more and more grumblings coming out of Mclaren that the new car isn’t going to be quick out of the box and when I mean ‘quick’ I mean P4 in the constructors quick.

And to quote every journalist and know it all forum members: it’ll put even more pressure on Mclaren to keep Lando because if Mclaren don’t give him a quick car Lando will walk- walk I tell you!
🙄
Just a fan's point of view

PhillipM
PhillipM

I can't see Lando going anywhere, he knows how much money is going into infrastructure and even with the tools they have Mclaren are still best of the rest, he'll be there a couple of years to see how it goes, he's too excited about it. Short of a seat at RB or Merc coming free with a big offer which I can't see.

CjC
CjC

Agreed.
What the journos and know it alls fail to mention- who is already at the big teams.
Russell is Mercs protégée, LeClerc is Ferraris protégée and Verstappen is Red Bulls protégée you would imagine the top 3 teams are happy with their drivers.
Lando is Mclarens protégée.
It’ll take a big call from Lando to walk into the lions den and drive for one of the current top 3 teams. Fair play to him if he does.
I’m not naive enough to think he’ll never leave… it’s more than likely that he will leave one day before his career is over but I don’t think it’s as cut and dry as they make out. There’s talk about Audi… yes they are a huge car manufacture and will be making their own PUs. Yes they could nail it and be the best team on the grid with Lando as their driver in 2026/27 but Lando will need to have everything crossed because let’s not forget about Toyota shall we? And BMW. BAR-Honda.
Just a fan's point of view

MrGapes

PhillipM wrote:
04 Jan 2023, 14:24
Have to say the feeling I get from speaking to a few guys at the factory is more subdued than last winter already - they think they have a sound base car now but they're worried about the new front tyres - apparently the construction itself is different, it's not just a softer compound - and they deform differently to how was expected. There's already some small fixes going into the car for that.
Was this a oversight by the team? When do teams receive Pirellis 60% wind tunnel tyres?

Mansell89
Mansell89

PhillipM wrote:
04 Jan 2023, 14:24
Have to say the feeling I get from speaking to a few guys at the factory is more subdued than last winter already - they think they have a sound base car now but they're worried about the new front tyres - apparently the construction itself is different, it's not just a softer compound - and they deform differently to how was expected. There's already some small fixes going into the car for that.
Have to say, worrying news Philip and thanks as always for sharing your snippets we really appreciate.

They looked a little lost I thought last season and started off on the back foot terribly with the brakes. I was surprised they were so passive in their design instead of aggressive like Ferrari - especially if they heeded the lessons of 2014 where they wanted a safe base and then wanted to “bolt on downforce” as I remember Jenson Button saying at the time. It’s never that easy is it.

Next season was always going to be super competitive as you will see Aston Martin begin their rise IMO and Alpines development was impressive I felt- and with a more reliable PU to come this year they will be in good shape you’d think.

Let’s see what we come up with- I hope James and the team can really stretch themselves and surprise us.

Any word on what the 23 cars will look like? I read something recently about more slimline cars although I don’t know if that was simply a nod to the Red Bull (and eve Merc) sidepod design direction as opposed to anything else?

ME4ME

diffuser wrote:
04 Jan 2023, 19:19
ME4ME wrote:
04 Jan 2023, 12:52
When exactly did this 5 year plan start? When Zak Brown became CEO?
Not sure what you're getting at. You suggesting they get rid of Zak if he doesn't make his 5 year plan ?
No its a honest question. I haven't read about Mclaren having such plan.

Edit: didn't want to be lazy so looked it up. The 5-year plan was presented to the media just before Christmas 2018.
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... sEa0a.html

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

PhillipM wrote:
04 Jan 2023, 22:19
I can't see Lando going anywhere, he knows how much money is going into infrastructure and even with the tools they have Mclaren are still best of the rest, he'll be there a couple of years to see how it goes, he's too excited about it. Short of a seat at RB or Merc coming free with a big offer which I can't see.
Not in the short term but if Mclaren don't break the top 3 and win races on merit in the next 3 seasons, Lando Norris will be gone. Time waits for no one. If Mclaren don't deliver, he will move to Mercedes, Red Bull, or Audi.
A lion must kill its prey.

aran.vtec
aran.vtec

ME4ME wrote:
05 Jan 2023, 00:53
diffuser wrote:
04 Jan 2023, 19:19
ME4ME wrote:
04 Jan 2023, 12:52
When exactly did this 5 year plan start? When Zak Brown became CEO?
Not sure what you're getting at. You suggesting they get rid of Zak if he doesn't make his 5 year plan ?
No its a honest question. I haven't read about Mclaren having such plan.

Edit: didn't want to be lazy so looked it up. The 5-year plan was presented to the media just before Christmas 2018.
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... sEa0a.html
Covid could of changed the 5year plan by a year or 2 but I cant see them getting where they need to be anytime soon unfortunately and I feel they failed.

2021 it looked like they cleared the mid field and I had high hopes for 2022 but now it looks like they slipping back again and I feel Aston and Alpine might jump them.

Do we really believe the new wind tunnel is going to be the silver bullet to get them back to wining ways?

PhillipM
PhillipM

Yes, especially under a cost cap, transport and the incurrent delays and labour costs vs your own tunnel in your back yard is a considerable improvement in both available cashflow and effective man hours.

Mansell89
Mansell89

New team wear appears to be more dark with papaya flash- wonder if we will continue that route on the car (especially with the weight save paint reduction)?

Wouldnt mind 2015 vibes where papaya replaces the red edge on the nose, across a black car.

ME4ME

PhillipM wrote:
05 Jan 2023, 14:25
Yes, especially under a cost cap, transport and the incurrent delays and labour costs vs your own tunnel in your back yard is a considerable improvement in both available cashflow and effective man hours.
Was about to post that the one thing Mclaren has going for them is their allowance of WT and CFD time, compared to the top four. But if you put it that way, any benefit might be marginalized with the WT hours being a massive drain on budget, especially now with energy prizes going sky high. Red Bull with the least amount of WT hours will of course re-direct those funds to other areas of development.

the EDGE
the EDGE

ME4ME wrote:
05 Jan 2023, 14:39
PhillipM wrote:
05 Jan 2023, 14:25
Was about to post that the one thing Mclaren has going for them is their allowance of WT and CFD time, compared to the top four. But if you put it that way, any benefit might be marginalized with the WT hours being a massive drain on budget, especially now with energy prizes going sky high. Red Bull with the least amount of WT hours will of course re-direct those funds to other areas of development.
I would say that having to travel to Cologne to use an outdated wind tunnel is not only expensive and unproductive, it must surely also be a big turn-off for potential new recruits too

Having the best facilities, close to home, surely must be good for attracting the best candidates

Big Tea

AR3-GP wrote:
05 Jan 2023, 06:36
PhillipM wrote:
Not in the short term but if Mclaren don't break the top 3 and win races on merit in the next 3 seasons, Lando Norris will be gone. Time waits for no one. If Mclaren don't deliver, he will move to Mercedes, Red Bull, or Audi.
Where would he go that would be better than where he is now?

He would have to replace someone formidable to be a team leader or even a challenge to be second driver as it would mean shaping up to one of he top 3 drivers in F1. Merc could possibly require a replacement for Hamilton, which would be a fair drive, but I can not see him fitting in as number 2 at Ferrari or RBR and being in a better position than team leader at Mclaren as politics would mean him giving up positions
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Big Tea wrote:
05 Jan 2023, 17:40
AR3-GP wrote:
05 Jan 2023, 06:36
PhillipM wrote:
Where would he go that would be better than where he is now?

He would have to replace someone formidable to be a team leader or even a challenge to be second driver as it would mean shaping up to one of he top 3 drivers in F1. Merc could possibly require a replacement for Hamilton, which would be a fair drive, but I can not see him fitting in as number 2 at Ferrari or RBR and being in a better position than team leader at Mclaren as politics would mean him giving up positions
I didn't mention Ferrari. I said Red Bull, Audi, Mercedes.

If Lando Norris is afraid of Verstappen, Russell, or even Leclerc, then he has no business dreaming to win an F1 title.

Regardless, pedaling around as a perennial also-ran w/ Mclaren, should that be what the future holds, is not worth it.
A lion must kill its prey.