BrawnGP

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
ISLAMATRON

Re: BrawnGP

first easyjet and now more smart cost cutting from BGP...

turn off the lights in the motorhome... and drink water

vasia
vasia

ISLAMATRON wrote:better look at that new front wing, probly on its way to tech inspect

Also a good look at those winglets/vanes above the bargeboards. Surprised no other teams have copied those yet. We might yet see some copies in the future.

ISLAMATRON

vasia wrote:Also a good look at those winglets/vanes above the bargeboards. Surprised no other teams have copied those yet. We might yet see some copies in the future.

Good pickup... how long have those been there? 1 2 races?

timbo
timbo

ISLAMATRON wrote:Good pickup... how long have those been there? 1 2 races?
Since Monaco, I guess.
Front wing is very Ferrari-esque

vasia
vasia

ISLAMATRON wrote:
vasia wrote:Also a good look at those winglets/vanes above the bargeboards. Surprised no other teams have copied those yet. We might yet see some copies in the future.

They were added in Monaco. Considering that, I guess it's a bit foolish to expect teams to have already copied them. We may see some copies though at Silverstone or at the Nurburgring.

ISLAMATRON

vasia wrote:
ISLAMATRON wrote:

They were added in Monaco. Considering that, I guess it's a bit foolish to expect teams to have already copied them. We may see some copies though at Silverstone or at the Nurburgring.
Maybe not Silverstone since that is a lower downforce track, does look beneficial though.

vasia
vasia

ISLAMATRON wrote: Maybe not Silverstone since that is a lower downforce track, does look beneficial though.
It could be coincidental that they were added in Monaco. They look to be designed more for guiding and conditioning airflow than for downforce. I think they serve a similar purpose to the airflow winglets that Toyota has on the panel mounted to the sidepods of their car. Toyota's winglets are near the bargeboards, but not directly above them.

ISLAMATRON

vasia wrote:
ISLAMATRON wrote: Maybe not Silverstone since that is a lower downforce track, does look beneficial though.
It could be coincidental that they were added in Monaco. They look to be designed more for guiding and conditioning airflow than for downforce. I think they serve a similar purpose to the airflow winglets that Toyota has on the panel mounted to the sidepods of their car. Toyota's winglets are near the bargeboards, but not directly above them.

I was just asking about those in the Toyota thread.... The BGP ones mounted to the chassis seem to have a much more aggressive angle of attack.

Looking at this Toyo pic it seems they have somewhat followed McLaren with the floor cutout, although in a different shape and placement. Alot of development(copying) going on throughout the grid.

vasia
vasia

ISLAMATRON wrote:
vasia wrote:

I was just asking about those in the Toyota thread.... The BGP ones mounted to the chassis seem to have a much more aggressive angle of attack.

Looking at this Toyo pic it seems they have somewhat followed McLaren with the floor cutout, although in a different shape and placement. Alot of development(copying) going on throughout the grid.
In this particular pic, the floor cut-out has been there since practically the beginning of the season.

zgred

axle
axle

zgred wrote:Image
Ahh so now the entire wing is moveable, this will help for overtaking...
- Axle

vasia
vasia

More streamlined design, should help with drag and overtaking, but I wonder if it has less downforce than the older design? I also wonder if their balance is affected now.

NormanBates

axle wrote:
mmm... maybe now they believe there may actually be some cars in front of them, for a change?

roost89
roost89

NormanBates wrote:
axle wrote:
mmm... maybe now they believe there may actually be some cars in front of them, for a change?
They'll be going so fast, they'll need them to get past lapped traffic more easily :lol:
"It could be done manually. It would take quite a while, but it could be done. There is however a much more efficient and accurate way of getting the data. Men with lasers." Wing Commander Andy Green

sticky667
sticky667

roost89 wrote:
NormanBates wrote:
axle wrote:
They'll be going so fast, they'll need them to get past Lewis Hamilton more easily again :lol:
edited.