Oracle Red Bull Racing RB19 Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
chrisc90

Re: Oracle Red Bull Racing RB19 Speculation Thread

ringo wrote:
04 Feb 2023, 17:54
The car will be a zero pod design. :mrgreen:
The Red Bull soap box race series would be more successful than a zero pod design....

mendis
mendis

ringo wrote:
I heard that design has made it to London museum in the historical disasters section. :D

Big Tea

mendis wrote:
04 Feb 2023, 19:09
ringo wrote:
I heard that design has made it to London museum in the historical disasters section. :D
It was tusords chamber of horrors :mrgreen:

We could be shocked by mid year though
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

wogx

Last edited by wogx on 05 Feb 2023, 15:36, edited 1 time in total.
Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

Venturiation
Venturiation

Redbull can remove sidepods and become the fastest because they don’t have porpoising

Another theory what if Redbull had to change alot their concept and don’t want to show anything to us?

During the winter they found something unseen by others and they had 5o do anyway the show for the ford sponsoring so they showed last year car

Sieper

Thank you, quite interesting, they put more of the cooling (internals) direct in-line behind the headrest, but in a different way than Mercedes did last year as can be seen from the side comparison. Also indeed slightly more undercut under the sidepod.

Blackout

They did that bodywork change, by adding a bulbous shape under the new 'cannons', last year already in Spa
https://storage.googleapis.com/the-race ... 24x565.jpg

So IMO both renders represent the RB18 and the "2023" one is more 'up to date' but is still missing some features

ringo

mendis wrote:
ringo wrote:
I was joking, but on a serious note, they could do zeropod. Remember mercedes issue was not the sidepods. With redbull's understanding of the floor and suspension, nothing really stops them from trying a zeropod during winter testing.
For Sure!!

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

ringo wrote:
05 Feb 2023, 21:26
mendis wrote:
ringo wrote:
I was joking, but on a serious note, they could do zeropod. Remember mercedes issue was not the sidepods. With redbull's understanding of the floor and suspension, nothing really stops them from trying a zeropod during winter testing.
:wtf:

Nothing besides a budget cap, chassis architecture, 3 days of winter testing?

Venturiation
Venturiation

AR3-GP wrote:
05 Feb 2023, 21:27
ringo wrote:
05 Feb 2023, 21:26
mendis wrote:
:wtf:

Nothing besides a budget cap, chassis architecture, 3 days of winter testing?
The sidepods don’t matter that much

Mercedes with Redbull sidepods will be slower

carisi2k

Venturiation wrote:
05 Feb 2023, 14:58
Redbull can remove sidepods and become the fastest because they don’t have porpoising

Another theory what if Redbull had to change alot their concept and don’t want to show anything to us?

During the winter they found something unseen by others and they had 5o do anyway the show for the ford sponsoring so they showed last year car
Here is the problem with removing the sidepods like Mercedes and the reason why Mercedes just aren't going to get any better if they continue down the zero pod route. The sidepods are what now control the airflow to the rear of the car. With the barge boards now gone you can no longer control the air properly if you don't have a sidepod. I'm happy the Mercedes will continue down the failed path of the small pod because it will mean there continued failure.

Mod edit - off topic structural concerns removed due to inaccuracy of statements
Last edited by Stu on 06 Feb 2023, 15:57, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removal of inaccurate statements

organic

"evolution rather than revolution", "you will see a family resemblance", "the rb18 was such a good car, it makes sense to... evolve the philosophy"

He sings the praises of Pierre wache in this interview. Mentions Newey is spending only 50% of his time on F1 nowadays, in the office a couple of days a week.

etusch

Unless you remove air inlet for cooling, "from point of decreasing drag"* I don't think zero sidepod or merc's way makes so much difference compared to Ferrari, Red Bull kind of sidepods. I don't think merc gains there "from point of top speed."**
Last edited by etusch on 06 Feb 2023, 14:43, edited 1 time in total.

PhillipM
PhillipM

It's not that good a post, most of the sidepod has zero real influence in a crash, the side protection units are mandated for a reason and whether they're encapsulated in a wing or a sidepod makes very little difference to their function.
Sidepod covers are hardly structural, you could snap them in your hands over your knee.

organic

PhillipM wrote:
06 Feb 2023, 00:35
It's not that good a post, most of the sidepod has zero real influence in a crash, the side protection units are mandated for a reason and whether they're encapsulated in a wing or a sidepod makes very little difference to their function.
Sidepod covers are hardly structural, you could snap them in your hands over your knee.
Indeed remember how easily alpine's disintegrated last season in preseason testing for instance..