2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Henri wrote:
12 Feb 2023, 20:15
genarro wrote:
12 Feb 2023, 18:38
Henri wrote:
12 Feb 2023, 17:34
McLaren need to hire new aero people.. top 3 teams are levels above them in chassis and aero
Dont be daft mate

Maybe broaden their department yes.. But the people in the team are top notch... The infrastructure is where performance is lost.. We have heard many times that the old windtunnel has a blind spot and the other infrastructure as well... We will get there, just have a little patience.
Nah.. red bull has a old wind tunnel but still better than McLaren.. the infrastructure excuse is old
This has been put into context, the Red Bull wind tunnel has been upgraded and updated regularly. The Cologne wind tunnel has become less and less optimal for the modern F1 car that has gotten wider over the years, amongst other issues, like distance, which compromises the efficient use of man hours,
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Darth-Piekus

Who's excited for the new car tomorrow? I am definately.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Has there been any concrete info on the future of Binotto? I think he’d be an amazing asset, but in reality, where would he fit in for McLaren ? I don’t think the team can offer him anything worthwhile, he’s definitely not going to work under Key. Perhaps a CTO, but then Key could feel undermined.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

CjC
CjC

Henri wrote:
genarro wrote:
Henri wrote:
12 Feb 2023, 17:34
McLaren need to hire new aero people.. top 3 teams are levels above them in chassis and aero
Dont be daft mate

Maybe broaden their department yes.. But the people in the team are top notch... The infrastructure is where performance is lost.. We have heard many times that the old windtunnel has a blind spot and the other infrastructure as well... We will get there, just have a little patience.
Nah.. red bull has a old wind tunnel but still better than McLaren.. the infrastructure excuse is old
Not sure where you’ve got your idea of Red Bull having an old wind tunnel from but when I first heard of the ‘old, WW2 wind tunnel’ was from the press conference that a very defensive Christian Horner was giving after they had been found guilty of breaching the financial regulations.

During the interview Sky Sports asked Seidl
who was Mclaren TP at the time why he wasn’t watching/ listening to Horner, to which Seidl replied along the time of ‘he doesn’t like listening to these fairy tales that Christian likes to come out with’.

I agree with Seidl. For me The ‘old’ wind tunnel narrative is a Christian Horner tale of feel sorry for us because we’ve been found guilty.
Just a fan's point of view

Henri
Henri

CjC wrote:
12 Feb 2023, 21:54
Henri wrote:
genarro wrote:

Dont be daft mate

Not sure where you’ve got your idea of Red Bull having an old wind tunnel from but when I first heard of the ‘old, WW2 wind tunnel’ was from the press conference that a very defensive Christian Horner was giving after they had been found guilty of breaching the financial regulations.

During the interview Sky Sports asked Seidl
who was Mclaren TP at the time why he wasn’t watching/ listening to Horner, to which Seidl replied along the time of ‘he doesn’t like listening to these fairy tales that Christian likes to come out with’.

I agree with Seidl. For me The ‘old’ wind tunnel narrative is a Christian Horner tale of feel sorry for us because we’ve been found guilty.
Nah.. horner was telling the truth

PhillipM
PhillipM

Another account here for nothing but trolling I see. Useful.

ScottR267
ScottR267

Darth-Piekus wrote:
12 Feb 2023, 20:48
Think you maybe a little disappointed as will just be a livery reveal. The team will keep the real car ready for a filming day or testing

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!

Slahinki
Slahinki

ScottR267 wrote:
12 Feb 2023, 22:30
Darth-Piekus wrote:
12 Feb 2023, 20:48
Think you maybe a little disappointed as will just be a livery reveal. The team will keep the real car ready for a filming day or testing
That would be a first. Don't think I've ever seen McLaren doing just a livery reveal. Certainly not in the last 6 years.

organic

At this point onwards I feel all teams will release real cars. It's already less than 2 weeks to testing and they have to do shakedowns anyway which are free PR so they'll want to publicize that. And it seems to be a bad look to only launch a livery judging by the feedback I've seen, so it only makes sense for McLaren to be pushing the real car, or at least showing us quite a bit of it.

I's only RB that seems to do these early releases of livery & then secret shakedowns this season

PhillipM
PhillipM

Sounds like we'll see the sidepod tweaks but not the real floor, etc, from what a few who went to the commercial/factory reveal tonight are saying.

_cerber1

These few hours will be a test :-k

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

PhillipM wrote:
13 Feb 2023, 03:44
Sounds like we'll see the sidepod tweaks but not the real floor, etc, from what a few who went to the commercial/factory reveal tonight are saying.
Looking forward to it… Interested if they show a new front wing, since it might be a sign of other changes downstream.

BMMR61

Ground Effect wrote:
12 Feb 2023, 21:06
Has there been any concrete info on the future of Binotto? I think he’d be an amazing asset, but in reality, where would he fit in for McLaren ? I don’t think the team can offer him anything worthwhile, he’s definitely not going to work under Key. Perhaps a CTO, but then Key could feel undermined.
Yeah there’s been zero rumours about Mattia’s future and McLaren do admittedly have, if not a vacuum, then a low pressure issue at senior engineering design level. Matia did have major input into design at Ferrari over the last five years including the amazing recovery from the rumoured fuel flow scandal. His main sin was being allowed to stray into too large a span of team management responsibilities. How he could be fitted into the McLaren hierarchy is somewhat of a question if you want to imagine he could be lured across but obviously he’s a big fish waiting to be snapped up. I think Key is quite naturally now under pressure following the 2022 interruption of the steady progress made between 2019 and 2021. Without a more convincing car, one without the corner turn in transition characteristics of his previous McLaren designs, questions will be asked about his competence.

diffuser

BMMR61 wrote:
13 Feb 2023, 12:25
Ground Effect wrote:
12 Feb 2023, 21:06
Yeah there’s been zero rumours about Mattia’s future and McLaren do admittedly have, if not a vacuum, then a low pressure issue at senior engineering design level. Matia did have major input into design at Ferrari over the last five years including the amazing recovery from the rumoured fuel flow scandal. His main sin was being allowed to stray into too large a span of team management responsibilities. How he could be fitted into the McLaren hierarchy is somewhat of a question if you want to imagine he could be lured across but obviously he’s a big fish waiting to be snapped up. I think Key is quite naturally now under pressure following the 2022 interruption of the steady progress made between 2019 and 2021. Without a more convincing car, one without the corner turn in transition characteristics of his previous McLaren designs, questions will be asked about his competence.
Binotto is rumored to have a 1 year gardening leave. We don't hear anybody saying they want him and pushing Ferrari to walk it back some.

My guess would be, Binotto hasn't decided what he wants to do yet and is happy to wait a while.