2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

SmallSoldier wrote:
13 Feb 2023, 19:55
Slahinki wrote:
13 Feb 2023, 19:23
Nice launch, though the livery leaves me entirely whelmed. As expected a continuation of last years livery which I grew to dislike more and more over the course of the season. I get that it's for weight saving reasons, but there's just way too much naked carbon fibre.
If it helps the car go faster… I couldn’t care if the car didn’t had a hint of color in it :)
I've never seen an ugly fast car...
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Ground Effect wrote:
13 Feb 2023, 20:18
SmallSoldier wrote:
13 Feb 2023, 19:55
Slahinki wrote:
13 Feb 2023, 19:23
Nice launch, though the livery leaves me entirely whelmed. As expected a continuation of last years livery which I grew to dislike more and more over the course of the season. I get that it's for weight saving reasons, but there's just way too much naked carbon fibre.
If it helps the car go faster… I couldn’t care if the car didn’t had a hint of color in it :)
I've never seen an ugly fast car...
Well beauty is on the eye of the beholder… The Mercedes W05 was one of the ugliest cars I’ve seeing in the last couple decades and it was pretty successful.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Andrea Stella interview, some interesting notes:

- The Team goal for the 2023 is to finish in 4th, the top 3 realistically are a bit out of reach
- First set of upgrades to be deliver early in the season, targeting Baku
- The new Wind Tunnel expected mid season, but it will be dedicated to work on the 2024 car (at that point in the season they will already be working on next year’s car.
- In regards to weight, the team has shed some weight from the car and thinks they are a in a good position, funny when he said that “We were finally able to leave a little room for orange and white” but he thinks that weight will be a lees of an issue

https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-stella-/10431505/

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

"Orange and white" ?
A lion must kill its prey.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

AR3-GP wrote:
13 Feb 2023, 22:34
"Orange and white" ?
That’s what the article says 🤷

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

SmallSoldier wrote:
13 Feb 2023, 23:09
AR3-GP wrote:
13 Feb 2023, 22:34
"Orange and white" ?
That’s what the article says 🤷
Maybe he let slip something he shouldn't have?
A lion must kill its prey.

Macklaren
Macklaren

Andrea speaks good English but I wonder if there might be more of a communication gap that there was with Andreas?

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Macklaren wrote:
13 Feb 2023, 23:33
Andrea speaks good English but I wonder if there might be more of a communication gap that there was with Andreas?
Different styles… And this is the most he has been in the spotlight.

bauc

What a disappointment, I'm a Mclaren fan since 1997, and I never haven been so downbeat before a season. The car, the vibe in the team is simply not there...... I pray to god that I will be disproven but my gut feeling tells me that this will be even more difficult season than last year.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Xero

bauc wrote:
14 Feb 2023, 01:02
What a disappointment, I'm a Mclaren fan since 1997, and I never haven been so downbeat before a season. The car, the vibe in the team is simply not there...... I pray to god that I will be disproven but my gut feeling tells me that this will be even more difficult season than last year.
Really? Not getting that at all. Car looks like a decent evolution from last year, picking tropes from both Ferrari and Red Bull and incorporating into their own. I'm more excited by the in-season developments, as McLaren seem to be very encouraged by what they have discovered.

MrGapes

People don’t even want to give the team
a chance… I mean the car hasn’t even run on a track yet. Your kidding me..Andrea has said that the target is p4, I don’t know if anyone was expecting anything different, Just because there isn’t some radical bodywork doesn’t mean it’s slow (it’s a sensible evolution), the secret sauce is in the new floors..

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

MrGapes wrote:
14 Feb 2023, 04:13
People don’t even want to give the team
a chance… I mean the car hasn’t even run on a track yet. Your kidding me..Andrea has said that the target is p4, I don’t know if anyone was expecting anything different, Just because there isn’t some radical bodywork doesn’t mean it’s slow (it’s a sensible evolution), the secret sauce is in the new floors..
Unluckily for McLaren they are always in that damn if you do, damn if you don’t… If they would have gone for a “radical” (at this point, how does that look like?) and had a bad season, they would have been shred to pieces for not following something that works (I would argue that their concept last year was very different in regards to the treatment of the sidepods from all other teams initially)… If they take cues from concepts that we know have more performance (RBR, Ferrari), they are not innovating enough.

I like the approach, they have to recover a couple of seconds to fight guys at the front (assuming they were 1 - 1.5 seconds from the leaders and that the leaders “only” gain half a second)… They’ve done the CFD, aero, etc and now know what works for the other teams and have incorporated those things into their car… Copy what the best are doing and then improve upon it, it is a good strategy.

Now it’s a matter of finding out if the mix of concepts can work in unison and the car responds as intended.
Last edited by SmallSoldier on 14 Feb 2023, 17:24, edited 1 time in total.

geogate
geogate

we all knew the car was going to be under developed. I was actually a little pleased with how positive they were about the race 4 upgrades. Seems to me it is a deliberate strategy to "save" budget for in season development to give them the best shot for 2024. Might pay off, might not - but that is what we have got

the EDGE
the EDGE

Any news on a McLaren shakedown?

I assume they’ll be running today, with only 9 days till testing, there’s no time waste

Darth-Piekus

What's wrong with the car? It seems better looking than what we have seen so far from others.