Ferrari SF23

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Giando

Re: Ferrari SF23

Well... i guess we might glimpse part of the answer here

Giando

And also here...

Vanja #66

Please use edit button to avoid posting 2-3-4... times in a row! Thanks!
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Giando

Vanja #66 wrote:
15 Feb 2023, 10:57
Please use edit button to avoid posting 2-3-4... times in a row! Thanks!
Okay, forgive my naive enthusiasm. I didn't think it was inappropriate. I'm gonna remember it.

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

In relation to the electronics cooling (by coincidence I was watching this) the metal foam raises curiosity...
"the principles of using metal foam to make better heat exchangers"

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

Some good notated comparison shots. I think the comparison of the sidepod inlets and the rear section forward of the rear suspension shows how much has been changed. This might looks samey (to some, that’s not my opinion) but it’s clear just how much work has gone in.

Vanja #66

Forgot to note another big change to front wing, by keeping the central fixed-angle section closer to the nose they have increased the surface of the wing that flexes at speed. This means they will have bigger front wig drag reduction than F1-75 at higher speeds. This was one of many small advantages RB18 had.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

Just looking at how much less volume is in the upper section of the engine cover, even compared to the very minimal amount that was there last year.

Other teams (new merc case in point) seem to have far more volume, far higher up than Ferrari. If nothing else, it seems hard to argue that Ferrari wouldn’t have a superior centre of gravity compared to say, the merc and the alpine at a minimum…

Cs98
Cs98

PlatinumZealot wrote:
15 Feb 2023, 06:06
Reliability.
The new F1 buzzword. No answer, say "reliability".

christian.falavena

It was so much fun when someone was analizyng the pics of the stickering on the red shark fin, judging and speculating on the engine cover reshapement, for seeing that the new shark fin is black in the end. Just to let you know that Ferrari uses always old pics to let the hype rise, but the real car is shown only in the presentation. They're not as stupid as someone thinks.

organic

Kyle's thoughts on the Ferrari aerodynamics

He discusses the bypass duct in great details.

Summary:

he believes it's legal because the intake and exit lie in the mid chassis bodywork legality volume which has fewer rules about fillet radii. And they can also fit an exit aperture where they have due to the volume that allows you to place louvres on the sidepod. The regulations say the aperture has to be for cooling reasons, but he believes you could have a radiator with a very coarse fin layout or it could be for cooling electronics in a very minor way, meaning it's essentially a bypass duct but just technically it isn't

He believes the benefit of it would be to ingest lossy air from the boundary layer next to the chassis in order to have cleaner airflow around the sidepod leading to more powerful downstream aero

timbo
timbo

The road car division in Ferrari has a lot of experience using channels like that.

ringo

Vanja #66 wrote:
14 Feb 2023, 13:57
MtthsMlw wrote:
14 Feb 2023, 13:44
Here it looks more like a vane
https://i.imgur.com/oHzDx5b.jpg
Actually it looks more like it goes all the way into the sidepod. My guess is opening for electronics and/or battery cooling... The upper opening behind the cockpit is just a cooling outlet, used by some teams last year as well.
Yes it seems so. I don't think by regulation it can be purely bodywork going through the car.
Nice evolution.
Does it seem that the bathtub is more shallow or is it more horizontal?
For Sure!!

organic

ringo wrote:
15 Feb 2023, 14:28
Vanja #66 wrote:
14 Feb 2023, 13:57
MtthsMlw wrote:
14 Feb 2023, 13:44
Here it looks more like a vane
https://i.imgur.com/oHzDx5b.jpg
Actually it looks more like it goes all the way into the sidepod. My guess is opening for electronics and/or battery cooling... The upper opening behind the cockpit is just a cooling outlet, used by some teams last year as well.
Yes it seems so. I don't think by regulation it can be purely bodywork going through the car.
Nice evolution.
Does it seem that the bathtub is more shallow or is it more horizontal?
Yes it's quite a bit shallower I think. Maybe a compromise because they increased the undercut significantly

Sevach
Sevach

JPBD1990 wrote:
15 Feb 2023, 12:12
Just looking at how much less volume is in the upper section of the engine cover, even compared to the very minimal amount that was there last year.

Other teams (new merc case in point) seem to have far more volume, far higher up than Ferrari. If nothing else, it seems hard to argue that Ferrari wouldn’t have a superior centre of gravity compared to say, the merc and the alpine at a minimum…

Engine cover seems tighter as well.