Mercedes W14

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
mendis
mendis

Re: Mercedes W14

PlatinumZealot wrote:
17 Feb 2023, 04:41
chrstphrln wrote:
16 Feb 2023, 08:21
PlatinumZealot wrote:
16 Feb 2023, 04:27

You didn't read the whole sentence though! Toto said the sidepod will "change a little bit" which confirms they are sticking to the zero pod concept.
To be honest, the discussion about whether red is still called red even though yellow has been mixed in is too unimportant to me. It's orange for me now. And if Toto pours in more yellow after a few races and wants to keep calling it red for marketing reasons, so what?
Poor anology though.
Changing Red to Orange is gone a bit too far... That's far from "a little bit"
It has already moved far away from being zero pods. Except for the vertical air intake for pods, it's mostly a traditional sidepod now. I won't be surprised if they move back to horizontal layout for intake too.

ringo

Venturiation wrote:
16 Feb 2023, 22:26
Why is the sound different
The ferrari was blowing or burbling off throttle as well. Some new tuning for 2023? :?:
For Sure!!

ringo

mendis wrote:
17 Feb 2023, 05:22
PlatinumZealot wrote:
17 Feb 2023, 04:41
chrstphrln wrote:
16 Feb 2023, 08:21

To be honest, the discussion about whether red is still called red even though yellow has been mixed in is too unimportant to me. It's orange for me now. And if Toto pours in more yellow after a few races and wants to keep calling it red for marketing reasons, so what?
Poor anology though.
Changing Red to Orange is gone a bit too far... That's far from "a little bit"
It has already moved far away from being zero pods. Except for the vertical air intake for pods, it's mostly a traditional sidepod now. I won't be surprised if they move back to horizontal layout for intake too.
Who made you the webster dictionary of side-pods? :lol:
Do you see the mid-wings? Yes.
Is there an undercut? No.
Are the radiators still tucked into the tub? Yes
Are the sidepods very low and narrow? Yes

Then Zero-pod. Confirmed by the team.
Let's accept and move on shall we.
For Sure!!

Vanja #66

ringo wrote:
17 Feb 2023, 05:21
Same volume.
It can be conclusively proven the volume is much bigger. Since you avoid explaining how the volume is the same, no one can explain where you are wrong...

ringo wrote:
17 Feb 2023, 05:46
I am just using Vanja's logic in trying to claim the W14 is like the others, when in truth is not.
ringo, enough with the lies. I've never said anything like this. I don't care what you are trying to twist my words into, since you are clearly not even reading what I'm writing, but it stops now. Truly, enough is enough.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

mendis
mendis

Vanja #66 wrote:
17 Feb 2023, 05:55
ringo wrote:
17 Feb 2023, 05:21
Same volume.
It can be conclusively proven the volume is much bigger. Since you avoid explaining how the volume is the same, no one can explain where you are wrong...

ringo wrote:
17 Feb 2023, 05:46
I am just using Vanja's logic in trying to claim the W14 is like the others, when in truth is not.
ringo, enough with the lies. I've never said anything like this. I don't care what you are trying to twist my words into, since you are clearly not even reading what I'm writing, but it stops now. Truly, enough is enough.
Agree.

Stu

I’ve a mind to lock this thread and remove pages of stuff that is NOT DIRECTLY RELATED TO THE W14.

Get it back on topic, NOW!
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Chuckjr

I’ll get us back on point.

In Kyle Engineers video about the W14, at around 7:30 min, he mentions what he sees as a huge barge board like structure extending out to create a vortex flowing down the side of the car over the small pods. My question is two fold with a final.

1. Is the idea with this car to simply have a mass flow to the back and attempt to do what the side pods are doing on all the other cars with a huge vortex from this barge board like extension from the underbody before the small pods?
2. Is the opening to the underbody Bernoulli effect —where the large barge board like extension comes out on the W14 — any higher or larger in volume than the other cars on the grid that we have seen, or is this the normal size opening for all the cars?

It seems the idea on the Merc is simply mass mass mass air flow with little more than some small pods, large vortices, aero theories, and prayers to control front tire wake. Is that at all close to true?
Watching F1 since 1986.

mendis
mendis

Henri wrote:
17 Feb 2023, 10:53
Stu wrote:
15 Feb 2023, 20:27
Henri wrote:
15 Feb 2023, 14:07

Mayb the w12 suspension trick is back
It cannot be, hydraulically linked suspension is specifically banned.
So how did red bull do it ?
They don't have it either.

clownfish
clownfish

ringo wrote:
17 Feb 2023, 05:40
Venturiation wrote:
16 Feb 2023, 22:26
Why is the sound different
The ferrari was blowing or burbling off throttle as well. Some new tuning for 2023? :?:
I noticed the Merc sounded a bit fruity off throttle at the end of this vid

Did the Merc PU overrun like that before? I can't remember

PlatinumZealot

Yes the engines overrun was evident from 2014. FIA microphones and camera placement seem to change the noise. But most other videos you can hear it.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Holm86

PlatinumZealot wrote:
17 Feb 2023, 12:36
Yes the engines overrun was evident from 2014. FIA microphones and camera placement seem to change the noise. But most other videos you can hear it.
The microphones definitely changes the sound a lot, and on the one video where the car is driving slow through corners, it might just be a limited map it's running, like the pit limiter

mzso
mzso

El_KaPpa wrote:
16 Feb 2023, 12:56
mzso wrote:
16 Feb 2023, 12:32
So they reconfigured last years failure into this years dummy car. Let's wait for the real thing.
T. Wolff "So this year, we went the other way around and what you have seen is for a large part the car we are going to test and race because it is fundamentally important to understand the platform and how the car behaves rather than keeping some bits in the background that may add a tenth or two."
Last year he said they're changing the sidepod concept, so what he says doesn't matter much, if anything.

However they might have took it one step further, and debut with this mule car, before bringing the actual new one when they have finalized it a few races in.

prox

Some more video of the W14 on track

organic

This image shows how rounded the nose is, similar to the Williams honestly

Goblin42