2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

mwillems wrote:
20 Feb 2023, 16:21
f1rules wrote:
20 Feb 2023, 13:43
i have to say im a bit anxious about this years car performance, i hope they made a big step, but at the same time it seems Aston might be on the right track, and Alpine seem very confident with many updates... 6th(11+12) will simply be unacceptable in my opinion...
Even 5th is not going to go down well.

Whilst position is very important, what's more important is how we end the season. I can cope with a lower position if the car is clearly closing the gap on the top 3 by seasons end.

As for the car, as you probably don't need telling, we have no idea just how much has happened under the surface and how much time the changes will add on. And whilst we may have taken design cues from other car, the time is found in how all the parts work together not in the fact we have an undercut. Being similar will only get us so far.

Not long to find out!
Last season we had a copy of the Championship car and just copying their bodywork and even the Tunnel entrance, fences, etc… And it didn’t propelled them to the front of the grid (not even the front of the midfield).

So yes, it is more than just a sidepod shape that brings performance to these cars.

I do believe that the cars will be close to each other (in within a few tenths), if that’s the case, it is the drivers that will make the biggest difference in ultimate position (at least in qualifying, the car could have more of an impact on a race distance)… It will make the season really interesting.

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
20 Feb 2023, 17:13
mwillems wrote:
f1rules wrote:
20 Feb 2023, 13:43
i have to say im a bit anxious about this years car performance, i hope they made a big step, but at the same time it seems Aston might be on the right track, and Alpine seem very confident with many updates... 6th(11+12) will simply be unacceptable in my opinion...

Whilst position is very important, what's more important is how we end the season. I can cope with a lower position if the car is clearly closing the gap on the top 3 by seasons end.

As for the car, as you probably don't need telling, we have no idea just how much has happened under the surface and how much time the changes will add on. And whilst we may have taken design cues from other car, the time is found in how all the parts work together not in the fact we have an undercut. Being similar will only get us so far.

Not long to find out!
Last season we had a copy of the Championship car and just copying their bodywork and even the Tunnel entrance, fences, etc… And it didn’t propelled them to the front of the grid (not even the front of the midfield).

So yes, it is more than just a sidepod shape that brings performance to these cars.

I do believe that the cars will be close to each other (in within a few tenths), if that’s the case, it is the drivers that will make the biggest difference in ultimate position (at least in qualifying, the car could have more of an impact on a race distance)… It will make the season really interesting.
It's all just opinion of course, but I think a few tenths is a bit much, I expect the front to the back of the grid to be separated by at least 1.5 seconds. As far as the top ten? I can't see it being much closer than seven tenths but I think it will be more.

A few tenths would be great as driver mistakes/hero performances can become so much more crucial. It has to be the dream really, all of the cars within a second of each other at least.

Re: Last years copy, how did we have a copy? We were middle of the road at the start and moved towards what was largely (But not entirely) the RB route and we missed several key points like the skidblocks to allow some rake.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Darth-Piekus

PowerandtheGlory wrote:
20 Feb 2023, 14:23
Im more positive about their ‘23. The water pump was their achillies heel last year, but the car otherwise quick. Without the brekdowns they would have comfortably beaten mclaren and aston. This year i think gasly abd ocon will push each other on, but i do see a lack of harmonry being an issue trackside. The engine shpuld be able to run a higher state of tune with the pump issue resolved. They are also carrying over a concept they understood from last year, which shpuld help in the early races. Mclaren look a little less prepared the loss of seidl will be felt, and their concept didnt work at all at some tracks. Norris will deliver as long as his head isnt turned away and tempted by other teams. Piastri will be better than Danny, but how much i dont know. First 6 races i see alpine at the front of aston and mclaren. After that- anyone’s guess….
Hmm let's see. Last year Lando Norris 122 Points. Daniel Ricciardo 37. Do you see where this is going? Last year Lando Norris beat the Alpines alone for 4/5th of the championship. Also let's not forget that Mercedes also had problems with his own engine. Let's assume that Alpine wouldn't have these pump problems last year. By that account Mercedes would have brought a better engine and Daniel Ricciardo would have scored 3 times his points and Mclaren would have finished in front. Depending on circuit the Qualifying's between Alonso and Norris the fastest drivers were 50-50 but on race pace Mclaren was better and would have finished in front if we had a normal second driver.

As for 2023 there is a Greek saying that basically says Sometimes it's better to chew than talk. Let's leave the predictions to the fortune tellers.

Juzh

mwillems wrote:
20 Feb 2023, 18:09
SmallSoldier wrote:
mwillems wrote:

Not long to find out!

It's all just opinion of course, but I think a few tenths is a bit much, I expect the front to the back of the grid to be separated by at least 1.5 seconds. As far as the top ten? I can't see it being much closer than seven tenths but I think it will be more.

A few tenths would be great as driver mistakes/hero performances can become so much more crucial. It has to be the dream really, all of the cars within a second of each other at least.

Re: Last years copy, how did we have a copy? We were middle of the road at the start and moved towards what was largely (But not entirely) the RB route and we missed several key points like the skidblocks to allow some rake.
He talks about aston martin that was unable to properly challenge anyone while being almost 1:1 rb18 copy in aero shapes.

Macklaren
Macklaren

Any videos of the MCL60 running in Bahrain today?

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

mwillems wrote:
20 Feb 2023, 18:09
SmallSoldier wrote:
mwillems wrote:

Not long to find out!

I meant a few tenths between the midfield (McLaren, AM, Alpine, maybe Alfa?)… Not with the leaders, which I also expect the top 3 to be out in the distance… If the midfield can be in within one second, that would be fantastic.

In regards to the copy, I meant Aston Martin… They more or less copied RBR from a bodywork perspective and even the Tunnel entrance and fences (hard to tell how the bottom of their floor was, but I would be surprised if they didn’t copy that also)… And just copying them didn’t bring them forward or even allowed them to lead the midfield.

organic

It did bring them forwards. The Aston Martin was barely faster than Williams before Barcelona

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Macklaren wrote:
20 Feb 2023, 19:09
Isn't it tomorrow?
A lion must kill its prey.

_cerber1

Macklaren wrote:
20 Feb 2023, 19:09
Tomorrow

organic

Yes I think Tuesday shakedown

Mostlyeels
Mostlyeels

PowerandtheGlory wrote:
20 Feb 2023, 14:23
Darth-Piekus wrote:
19 Feb 2023, 18:02
I see people are being delusional regarding Alpine being a better choice and finishing in front despite their engine problems. You all easily forget Mclaren would have finished miles ahead from Alpine if it wasn't for Daniel Ricciardo underperforming at 90% of the championship not even capitalising the races where Alpine had both cars out Alpine wasn't better it was Alonso that overperformed it and Ocon wasn't that far behind while on the other hand Norris gave it it's all and Daniel finished outside the top 10 in most races. As for this year we shal see where everyone stands once all cars start running in Bahrain. Piastri did what he thought best for him during that time and it was Alpine's fault for not giving him a seat somewhere. For now let's not start predictions. If Piastri did wrong or right or if the car is in the right place or not will be shown at Bahrain. Leave the predictions to the Fortune Tellers.

P.S Let's see how high and mighty Alpine will be without Alonso and without Ricciardo dragging Mclaren down.
Im more positive about their ‘23. The water pump was their achillies heel last year, but the car otherwise quick. Without the brekdowns they would have comfortably beaten mclaren and aston. This year i think gasly abd ocon will push each other on, but i do see a lack of harmonry being an issue trackside. The engine shpuld be able to run a higher state of tune with the pump issue resolved. They are also carrying over a concept they understood from last year, which shpuld help in the early races. Mclaren look a little less prepared the loss of seidl will be felt, and their concept didnt work at all at some tracks. Norris will deliver as long as his head isnt turned away and tempted by other teams. Piastri will be better than Danny, but how much i dont know. First 6 races i see alpine at the front of aston and mclaren. After that- anyone’s guess….
For sure they will trip over themselves at least once during the season.

Lucky
Lucky

I don't believe in Q3 in Bahrain.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Lucky wrote:
21 Feb 2023, 01:05
They'll be there or thereabouts I think. Some teams might have slightly faster cars, but having more talented drivers counts for something when there's only a few tenths in it.

diffuser

AR3-GP wrote:
21 Feb 2023, 01:15
Lucky wrote:
They'll be there or thereabouts I think. Some teams might have slightly faster cars, but having more talented drivers counts for something when there's only a few tenths in it.

We don't know what we don't know. That's why watch!

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

diffuser wrote:
21 Feb 2023, 06:55
AR3-GP wrote:
21 Feb 2023, 01:15
Lucky wrote:

We don't know what we don't know. That's why watch!
Sure but even as Mclaren have not been where they hoped to be in the last 3-4 years, they've always had a Q3 car in Norris's hands. I don't expect that to change. Alpine and AM may or may not have made slightly better cars, but you have to have a significantly better car, to actually pull away from the midfield.