2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
RedNEO

Re: 2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

KimiRai wrote:
20 Feb 2023, 21:43
While I understand that they'll likely call up Drugovich if they think Stroll will miss the Bahrain GP, Alonso desperately needs the laps as well (he has recently criticized the lack of testing in modern F1) and any feedback of his will prove more valuable than Drugovich's. They should give Alonso a bigger share of the "testing pie" IMO.
Yeah they should definitely take advantage of this. Alonso doing his thing over three days, will be cool to see both the car and him get acclimatised.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Spoutnik wrote:
21 Feb 2023, 15:35
AR3-GP wrote:
21 Feb 2023, 15:24
Can you imagine the AMR23 being only 3-4 tenths off pole in Bahrain?
Nope, +0.7-1s at Barhain
But last year they were "only" 1.2s off the pole in Abu Dhabi/Japan/Austin, whilst they were +3s/2,5s to pole in the first 5 races last year.
With the same progress, and their usual flash of brillance at Baku/Monaco/Singapore/Austin they could get a pole
the problem is the AMR22 had a major drag issue all season. If they made any progress at all, while maintaining their downforce, I see 4-5 tenths being realistic, after throwing in some Alonso magic.

JordanMugen

It just occurred to me, if Stoffel substitutes and outqualifies and outscores Fernando it would break the space-time continuum. 8) :lol:

Those Vandoorne fans were right about his capabilities all along?! :o

Anyhow I hope it is Felipe who substitutes!

organic wrote:
21 Feb 2023, 13:16
selvam_e2002 wrote:
21 Feb 2023, 13:00
Vettel Retirement -: Dan Fallows with RB in Vettel 4 time WDC then why Vettel retired when Dan Fallows joined Aston Martin. is Vettel took wrong decision or Andrain Newly is the main person in RB.
Can you rephrase this?
It's a simple question. Is Newey or Fallows more important to Red Bull success?

AR3-GP wrote:
21 Feb 2023, 14:58
The W13 should be a lesson to all, that simulations mean nothing.
Ross Brawn thought the BGP001 was good in the wind tunnel, so good he did not want to let it never be raced. It turned out to be good in the real world too...

AR3-GP wrote:
21 Feb 2023, 15:24
Can you imagine the AMR23 being only 3-4 tenths off pole in Bahrain?
If it's that fast, it will be in contention for winning the championships with some development on it.

There's optimism and optimism! :shock:

I think top of the midfield, the odd third or fourth row qualifying, is a more realistic objective.

organic

Seems likely that Stroll is not going to be driving at Bahrain then.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Isn't it a risk if he crashes the car on the first day? Are AM sure about this?

I'd run Alonso ragged if I could, unless I suspected that Lance will not be racing in Bahrain or Saudi Arabia.

F1doc
F1doc

AR3-GP wrote:
21 Feb 2023, 16:36

I'd run Alonso ragged if I could, unless I suspected that Lance will not be racing in Bahrain or Saudi Arabia.
The first half day will be spent checking systems rather than performance. It wouldn't be much loss to Alonso, and useful car experience for Drugovich if he has to step in for the first race weekend. I agree that sense dictates that Alonso should be in the car for the remainder of testing. Whether AM see it that way is entirely different.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

F1doc wrote:
21 Feb 2023, 17:04
AR3-GP wrote:

The first half day will be spent checking systems rather than performance. It wouldn't be much loss to Alonso, and useful car experience for Drugovich if he has to step in for the first race weekend. I agree that sense dictates that Alonso should be in the car for the remainder of testing. Whether AM see it that way is entirely different.
Systems check should have been completed during the 100km shakedown. The shakedown certainly wasn't for performance, so I don't see why 100km would not have been enough.

NAPI10
NAPI10

It makes sense for Filipe to drive Thursday morning session when track is green & it’s more of a set-up/shakedown run. Its a risk for sure but team must have confidence in him.
Team must be monitoring Lance condition closely to take decision on Friday/Sat run. Filipe will need more time in that car if he has to participate in first 2 races.
Does team has 2 cars available at Bahrain test since race weekend is in no time?

organic

F1doc wrote:
21 Feb 2023, 17:04
AR3-GP wrote:

Very good point. Getting familiar with the wheel and the protocols with the engineer is a big part of the step up. Of course they can do many things in the simulator in terms of familiarizing themselves with the car's feeling. Doing the early stages seems smart imo

Also drugovich in lower formulae wasn't one that made too many silly mistakes or crash-happy so I would be more confident in him than many other rookies

mvfad

It is important for Drugovich to have this contact with the 2023 car, so he has a better idea of how the car really works in relation to the simulator.

KimiRai
KimiRai

So they will give Drugovich a morning session at least as we had theorized... makes the most sense in my opinion.

Sevach
Sevach

AR3-GP wrote:

This is Bahrain, he'll have to work hard to find a wall (unless there's a brake failure or something of that gravity).

And as others said Drugovich is known for being smooth, safe and consistent.

Edit: It keeps pilling up [-o<

The Prodigy
The Prodigy

Sevach wrote:
22 Feb 2023, 02:47
AR3-GP wrote:

This is Bahrain, he'll have to work hard to find a wall (unless there's a brake failure or something of that gravity).

And as others said Drugovich is known for being smooth, safe and consistent.

Edit: It keeps pilling up [-o<
https://twitter.com/formularacers_/stat ... 97088?s=20
That means best case scenario for Aston Martin is a 4th place.

peewon

Two things here: I believe a lot of these pre season 'rumors' about performance are either overzealous reporters or in rare cases a way for teams to drum up interest. No one will really know until the first quali.

Second: Even if their numbers do actually look good in the wind tunnel, they need to correlate on track and then stack up relative to other teams as well. Everyone is looking to improve so it will always be relative.

continuum16

Given that they haven’t said what their plans are for Friday and Saturday, I would think if Stroll is going to be ruled out of the first race then they might give Drugovich maybe Saturday morning session as well. If the car really does have promise then they might want to ensure they have two drivers who can somewhat maximize it at the first race. You could run Alonso for 2.5 days and finish 6th and 13th or run Drugovich another part day and finish 7th and 8th if the car is good enough. But if Stroll will be back, I would guess Alonso will do all the remaining sessions.
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain