2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

For 2022 been considered such a bad season for the team… It caught my attention when I saw this compilation of all the GP starts of last year and there is a Papaya car near the front most of the season :)

Emag
Emag

Daniel performing worse than you would expect a rookie to perform definitely skewed the perception for last year.

Nevertheless, the disappointment was there since 2021 was so much better. I mean we went from clear of midfield, even fighting for poles and victories with Lando (+ the 1-2 in Monza), to scrapping away for points with the midfield.

Might have still been 4th with a decent second driver, but it would have been a disappointing 4th anyway in terms of performance.

organic

Emag wrote:
21 Feb 2023, 19:31
Daniel performing worse than you would expect a rookie to perform definitely skewed the perception for last year.

Nevertheless, the disappointment was there since 2021 was so much better. I mean we went from clear of midfield, even fighting for poles and victories with Lando (+ the 1-2 in Monza), to scrapping away for points with the midfield.

Might have still been 4th with a decent second driver, but it would have been a disappointing 4th anyway in terms of performance.
I think 2021 was the outlier due to the floor cutouts hurting the frontrunners and Aston Martin the most

Emag
Emag

organic wrote:
21 Feb 2023, 19:33
Emag wrote:

I think 2021 was the outlier due to the floor cutouts hurting the frontrunners and Aston Martin the most
Well, you can justify the closer gap to the front that way, but you can't overlook McLaren's improvements over 2020 as well, because not only were they closer to RedBull and Mercedes, they were (for the most part) quite a bit clear over the conventional midfield as well (together with Ferrari)

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Emag wrote:

I agree that the expectations were high and even 4th (far from the top 3) would have been disappointing, but at the same time the car was up there fighting at the top of the midfield most of the season… For a car that suffered from the beginning of the season and had it’s development delayed due to the brake issues, it was at least a good in-season recovery from them.

the EDGE
the EDGE

So teams get 2 filming days per year…

Anyone think she’ll be back on track again tomorrow?

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

the EDGE wrote:
21 Feb 2023, 22:14

They will probably save it for mid season… If there was nothing out of the ordinary, it’s better to save it for later when an upgrade package may be coming in and you want validation.

Not a lot that can be done in filming days in regards to performance… After the shakedown, the car will be disassembled completely and parts will be checked for any issues (rubbing of surfaces for example)… Doubtful that they will do another one before testing (especially been a couple days away).

the EDGE
the EDGE

SmallSoldier wrote:
21 Feb 2023, 22:22
the EDGE wrote:

They will probably save it for mid season… If there was nothing out of the ordinary, it’s better to save it for later when an upgrade package may be coming in and you want validation.

Not a lot that can be done in filming days in regards to performance… After the shakedown, the car will be disassembled completely and parts will be checked for any issues (rubbing of surfaces for example)… Doubtful that they will do another one before testing (especially been a couple days away).
That’s a good point about wanting a day to inspect the car, but if it were me, I’d want to maximise learning before testing, ready to build the lap count from the off.

Striping and rebuilding the car is something they need practice of, and with only 3 days testing I wouldn’t miss any opportunity, they must have spares of everything, so could theoretically do both.

Is there much value from running an upgrade on a filming day? Your very limited in what you can do aero-wise, I believe?

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

the EDGE wrote:
21 Feb 2023, 22:46
SmallSoldier wrote:
the EDGE wrote:

That’s a good point about wanting a day to inspect the car, but if it were me, I’d want to maximise learning before testing, ready to build the lap count from the off.

Striping and rebuilding the car is something they need practice of, and with only 3 days testing I wouldn’t miss any opportunity, they must have spares of everything, so could theoretically do both.

Is there much value from running an upgrade on a filming day? Your very limited in what you can do aero-wise, I believe?
The stripping and rebuilding is more to ensure that there are no parts rubbing on the bodywork, potential wiring issues, etc. they probably have heat sensors all around it to check temperatures inside the panels… I would be surprised if there are enough parts for 2 cars at Bahrain :)

the problem with doing a performance run during a filming day is that you have a green track, probably very dusty (and in Bahrain that should be even more prevalent since it’s a desert)… So from a performance perspective, not a lot that can be extracted from it… More of a systems check and just making sure that everything runs as intended and that the car is in one piece when it comes back to the garage.

Besides, one of the first tasks at testing will be to run enough laps to build a base setup (that hopefully replicates your simulations)… Once that is done, they can start running to find performance (changes to suspension setup, changes to differential settings, etc) so that you can compare them back to your initial base and allow them to understand the impact of those changes on track… As a matter of fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if the first day they use the floor edge that was used last season, since it’s something that they know and understand when building that base setup to then move either in the afternoon or the next day to the new parts.

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

SmallSoldier wrote:
21 Feb 2023, 22:56
the EDGE wrote:
21 Feb 2023, 22:46
SmallSoldier wrote:

The stripping and rebuilding is more to ensure that there are no parts rubbing on the bodywork, potential wiring issues, etc. they probably have heat sensors all around it to check temperatures inside the panels… I would be surprised if there are enough parts for 2 cars at Bahrain :)

the problem with doing a performance run during a filming day is that you have a green track, probably very dusty (and in Bahrain that should be even more prevalent since it’s a desert)… So from a performance perspective, not a lot that can be extracted from it… More of a systems check and just making sure that everything runs as intended and that the car is in one piece when it comes back to the garage.

Besides, one of the first tasks at testing will be to run enough laps to build a base setup (that hopefully replicates your simulations)… Once that is done, they can start running to find performance (changes to suspension setup, changes to differential settings, etc) so that you can compare them back to your initial base and allow them to understand the impact of those changes on track… As a matter of fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if the first day they use the floor edge that was used last season, since it’s something that they know and understand when building that base setup to then move either in the afternoon or the next day to the new parts.
Any data McLaren can gather will be useful given it's 3 days of testing followed by the race the following week.
Better to spot issues on a filming day rather than during testing. First thing for testing is gathering the aero data for correlation, pushing the limits a bit to find reliability issues then build the performance up running different configurations, then bring the updates once a performance level has been found. I know a few people were all doom and gloom about having the shakedown in Bahrain but I think it's a pretty smart move on McLaren's part. Plus it'll be handy for the mechanics to strip the car down and rebuild it.

Part of the testing will be looking at race setups for next week, FP1 will probably be frantic with not much hanging around in the pits. They've got plenty of time to build the race cars, if the chassis are ready of course.

Lucky
Lucky

MrGapes

Lucky wrote:
22 Feb 2023, 05:49
good find!

Lucky
Lucky

Lucky
Lucky

the EDGE
the EDGE

Well I’m not going to get carried away from a few laps of a shake down, but things do look a little more positive than what they did a few days ago

IMO, The important thing McLaren must achieve this year is a compliant car, which they can then build upon

As always with testing, the real tell will ultimately be the mood within the team, not the lap times