McLaren MCL60

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
organic

Re: McLaren MCL60

I don't think I see what people on twitter are seeing. We have one clear image and that shows a normal arrangement. The darker areas are just the sidepod's reflection in the floor and the floor edge wing is similar to the one used by Merc. Nothing complicated

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Cs98 wrote:
21 Feb 2023, 21:12
haza wrote:
21 Feb 2023, 20:46
Cs98 wrote:
21 Feb 2023, 20:26
Nice to see the RB18 in action again :lol:
This is getting ridiculous Hardly a red bull copy similar sidepods inlets and crease but the bath tub design, pull rod front push rod rear and floor is all McLarens own interpretations most of which they’ve had since launch spec last year (suspension) go an take a look at the rp20 and then you’ll know what a copy is
It's without a doubt the closest to the RB18 on the 2023 grid, and that's with 7 cars following the same basic concept as the RB18. So I wouldn't call it ridiculous.
It is a gross over simplification though… The team was already going for a an undercut last season (which by the way wasn’t a Red Bull concept, several cars like Alpine, AR, AT had a version of the undercut from the beginning of the season), the ramps (water slides) on the sidepods (which are not a copy of the RB18) were there last season also… The cannon exit was there from launch… What is a copy exactly? The ridge on the sidepods to divert airflow from the top of the sidepod towards the side/undercut?

I mean, everyone is going to take a few cues from the other cars… But to call it a copy is a bit too much.

We still have to see more details from the car, like it’s front wing, more details on the floor (which is most probably still a V1 version of what we will ultimately see).

haza
haza

Definitely something going on with the floor looks like some sort of exit or tunnel coming out of the floor towards the front, either way that doesn’t look like a reflection from what I can see it’s an exit of some sorts
Last edited by haza on 21 Feb 2023, 21:35, edited 1 time in total.

organic

haza wrote:
21 Feb 2023, 21:34

Definitely something going on with the floor looks like some sort of exit or tunnel coming out of the floor towards the front
Would be able to see daylight if it went all the way through, no? Also highly illegal (but they're allowed to run illegal setups in testing)

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

One of the best views from the video:

Cs98
Cs98

SmallSoldier wrote:
21 Feb 2023, 21:26
Cs98 wrote:
21 Feb 2023, 21:12
haza wrote:
21 Feb 2023, 20:46

This is getting ridiculous Hardly a red bull copy similar sidepods inlets and crease but the bath tub design, pull rod front push rod rear and floor is all McLarens own interpretations most of which they’ve had since launch spec last year (suspension) go an take a look at the rp20 and then you’ll know what a copy is
It's without a doubt the closest to the RB18 on the 2023 grid, and that's with 7 cars following the same basic concept as the RB18. So I wouldn't call it ridiculous.
It is a gross over simplification though… The team was already going for a an undercut last season (which by the way wasn’t a Red Bull concept, several cars like Alpine, AR, AT had a version of the undercut from the beginning of the season), the ramps (water slides) on the sidepods (which are not a copy of the RB18) were there last season also… The cannon exit was there from launch… What is a copy exactly? The ridge on the sidepods to divert airflow from the top of the sidepod towards the side/undercut?

I mean, everyone is going to take a few cues from the other cars… But to call it a copy is a bit too much.

We still have to see more details from the car, like it’s front wing, more details on the floor (which is most probably still a V1 version of what we will ultimately see).
The sidepod is a close homage to the RB18. The general shape is very similar, the protruding lower intake, the sidepod cut, the back end packaging with the canon exit has become much more pronounced and RB-esque compared to early 2022. So it's not just that they have an undercut sidepod, the details of the undercut and the sidepod clearly draw a lot on RB. One detail they've adapted from Alpine is the waterslide, but the overall impression seeing the car from the side is definitely RB.

And this journey started in 2022. They had 4 different sidepods last season and each one looked more and more like the RB. The 2023 car is just the latest iteration.

To be clear, my first comment wasn't meant to be taken too seriously. I do think it's very similar to the RB, though not in the same class as the RP-20.
Last edited by Cs98 on 21 Feb 2023, 21:58, edited 1 time in total.

McFAN
McFAN

Venturiation
Venturiation

here you go

Last edited by Venturiation on 21 Feb 2023, 22:03, edited 1 time in total.

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

I think this is a bit of a dark horse with the updates to come in race 4 which they’re clearly very excited by. It’s not as extreme in certain areas but it’s got all the things that will drive performance. Eg: the high nose tip so they’re Clearly confident to drive more mass flow under the car, bigger Venturi tunnel entrances to deal with it etc. Yes it will take cues of other cars but show me one that doesn’t or won’t this year.

Cs98
Cs98

Floor edge looks the second most developed behind Merc of all the cars seen so far. (That is if you consider lots of small bits to be "developed", which may or may not be accurate).

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Winglet in the T-Tray (following trend of 2022):

Vía: @aichikjm
Last edited by SmallSoldier on 21 Feb 2023, 22:26, edited 1 time in total.

PhillipM
PhillipM

Cs98 wrote:
21 Feb 2023, 22:04
Floor edge looks the second most developed behind Merc of all the cars seen so far. (That is if you consider lots of small bits to be "developed", which may or may not be accurate).
There's more to come, most of the video censoring is just the PR guys having a laugh, since the paddock's been muttering about secret floor work. Gets some buzz going :lol:

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

PhillipM wrote:
21 Feb 2023, 22:20
Cs98 wrote:
21 Feb 2023, 22:04
There's more to come, most of the video censoring is just the PR guys having a laugh, since the paddock's been muttering about secret floor work. Gets some buzz going :lol:
I believe the floor edge is the same one as used last season:

PhillipM
PhillipM

I don't even think the intended spec floor or fw are even at the circuit yet, or if they are it's only just and they're probably still being unpacked.

Have to say the sidepod packaging on the Mcl looks way more impressive in the sunlight though.
Last edited by PhillipM on 21 Feb 2023, 22:33, edited 2 times in total.