Mercedes W14

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
organic

Re: Mercedes W14

w1Y wrote:
21 Feb 2023, 19:59
If they really are not satisfied then what have they been doing for a year and how much cap have they wasted chasing it.

I mean I'm not confident but I'll believe it when I see it.

I'm fascinated by the cannons and what their purpose is
The same as the 7 other teams running cannon exits.

SparkyAMG

Ted Kravitz's comments sound like his usual fodder... E.g. to a layman the car looks somewhat similar to last year's, therefore it must be the same concept.

Multiple sources both within the team and outside of it have long said that the sidepods don't make or break their concept and that the main issues that the W13 had weren't visible and indeed weren't fixible within a season.

I think the most likely scenario is that they've spent considerable resources getting the chassis, floor, suspension and all the integrations sorted following last year's troubles, and they have a bodywork package that's not ready yet because of the above and is planned for early in the season. What's on the car now is there as an interim solution.

No team would have the resource to switch to an entirely different concept after a few races because the first attempt didn't meet expectations. Whatever is in store for the W14 will have been on the drawing boards for a couple months already.

torpor
torpor

As far as I remember Aston Martin switched to an entirely different concept during last season.
So it is conceivable that Mercedes could do something similar 2023.
But I don't really believe in that because it's not the approach of a team with ambitions to win the championship.

hollus

Can we discuss a hypothetical B-spec if and when it appears? (Or in the team thread)
Rivals, not enemies.

Andi76
Andi76

SparkyAMG wrote:
21 Feb 2023, 20:08
Ted Kravitz's comments sound like his usual fodder... E.g. to a layman the car looks somewhat similar to last year's, therefore it must be the same concept.

Multiple sources both within the team and outside of it have long said that the sidepods don't make or break their concept and that the main issues that the W13 had weren't visible and indeed weren't fixible within a season.

I think the most likely scenario is that they've spent considerable resources getting the chassis, floor, suspension and all the integrations sorted following last year's troubles, and they have a bodywork package that's not ready yet because of the above and is planned for early in the season. What's on the car now is there as an interim solution.

No team would have the resource to switch to an entirely different concept after a few races because the first attempt didn't meet expectations. Whatever is in store for the W14 will have been on the drawing boards for a couple months already.
Mercedes, I think, started these concept change rumors partly by themselves when they talked about something like major changes that are still being made to the car. A complete change of the concept during a season is, I think, also hardly possible. However, I think you have to consider two things here - after the experiences of 2022, it would be negligent of Mercedes not to have an alternative plan, should the concept be inferior to that of Red Bull and Ferrari. And it wouldn't be Mercedes-like either. The other thing is that ideally, if you don't want to lose too much ground, a concept change should be done gradually and smoothly. Some say the Mercedes is somewhere in the middle between Red Bull, Ferrari and the W13 from 2022. I don't want to say that a concept change has already been made, but the 2022 Zeropod concept is no longer it. Otherwise, it wouldn't have been possible to install a Ferrari bathtub, because that requires the top of a side box, no matter how small it is. In 2022, that would have been impossible. So Mercedes has definitely moved a bit closer to Ferrari and also Red Bull. They have done this by keeping large parts of their original concept, but they have definitely taken a first step. A second one doesn't have to happen, but I think that the way is not so far now. And I think that Mercedes already has a plan for the emergency and has made it possible that they could do it. Above all - if they told the truth in 2022 - namely that they can change their side box concept at any time, then it should be no problem twice with the current ones, which are much closer to Red Bull and Ferrari. But these speculations and rumors are pointless at the moment anyway, I think. The first real test hasn't even taken place yet. Without that, you can't really say anything at the moment.And only chassis flex would really be a disaster. Anything else is not meaningful before a real test anyway.

carisi2k

A spec B isn't going to work because putting larger sidepods on this small pod concept will mess with all the aero flow. If they have stuffed up again then 2023 will be a write off for Mercedes as they will have to start fresh with a new design for 2024 which will probably put them behind until 2026.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Andi76 wrote:
21 Feb 2023, 22:19

Mercedes, I think, started these concept change rumors partly by themselves when they talked about something like major changes that are still being made to the car. A complete change of the concept during a season is, I think, also hardly possible.
To be fair, Aston Martin had a significant change mid-season last year along similar lines. We were told at the beginning of the season that they knew the launch car was poor and that a heavily revised car had been in the pipeline.

Andi76
Andi76

carisi2k wrote:
21 Feb 2023, 22:32
A spec B isn't going to work because putting larger sidepods on this small pod concept will mess with all the aero flow. If they have stuffed up again then 2023 will be a write off for Mercedes as they will have to start fresh with a new design for 2024 which will probably put them behind until 2026.
With a B-Spec you also adapt other things accordingly therefore. I have to remind you that some teams last year changed their concept from small sidepods to big ones. And their performance didn't get worse. So "the mess with the airflow theory" does not add up. In fact, large side boxes create a flow field that helps keep the damaging turbulence away from the vehicle, which is otherwise very difficult without the banned bargeboards. On page 35 of this thread you can see CFD simulations of the W13 and W14. Here you can see the much less stagnation at the rear tire, which is, next to the mid-wing vortex, front wing tip-vortex and the outer strake also an effect of the larger sidepods of the W14.

SuperCNJ
SuperCNJ

I also can't see Merc doing a complete change of side pod concept mid-season. Merc has always maintained that the side pod is not the reason for their lack of performance. They have said the reason lies with other elements which we "cannot see". So whether or not they are telling the truth doesn't matter here, if Merc is sticking to that story and want to remain credible, it only makes sense that any changes to the side pod will be within the confines of their base concept.

The only scenario I can see is if they discover that they were wrong about the side pod not being the main issue and are forced to do a complete u-turn on the concept. But given that Toto has already said that the side pod design will change, either they have already committed to another concept over the winter (which seems unlikely given what they said at the end of last season and the launch car) or (more likely imo) the revision will simply be an evolution of the current design - i.e. sticking with the zero pod concept.

Designing a B-spec car with a completely different concept and leaving it in abeyance until they know it is needed midseason would take up too many resources and cost which seems too much of an unnecessary gamble given the cost cap. What if they actually find that their existing sidepod concept is fine? They would have wasted all that time and money designing an alternative concept.

PlatinumZealot

Side pod is not make or break guys.

Any concept changing will be with the front wing and the floor.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Vanja #66

So why are we talking about them talking about 4th sidepod design revision in just over a year if it's unimportant? :)

If you miss the basic aero features (wings and floor) no sidepod will save you, exhibits A to whatever - 2022 McLaren, AMR, ATR, Williams... But if two teams pinpoint basic aero features, make a good integration of aero and suspension then the smallest of details will make or break. Exhibit A - 2022 Ferrari.

The fact is Merc is not sure anymore if they will be able to achieve desired flow conditioning even with W14 sides, seeing how they mentioned redesign even before preseason test. There are other interesting solutions out there other than RB and Ferrari and surely more untapped interpretations. I am very interested in whatever Merc does, comebacks are always interesting.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Andi76
Andi76

PlatinumZealot wrote:
22 Feb 2023, 05:49
Side pod is not make or break guys.

Any concept changing will be with the front wing and the floor.
Certainly, the underbody has the greatest influence, but it's not as if the rest of the car no longer plays any role at all. As before, it's the sum of the parts that makes a car fast, even if the underbody now has an (even) greater share. But of course the rest also contributes to the car's performance, including the sidepods. And teams like Ferrari, Red Bull, Haas or Alfa Romeo would not have looked at the Zeropod concept again. Also, it was obvious in 2022 that teams improved a lot after they changed their sidepods. So I think the sidepod concept does play a role. Finally, sidepods have a great influence on the airflow to the rear of the car and thus also contribute to the performance of the underbody. So I don't buy the story that it hardly plays a role. In 2022, the steps taken by the teams after they changed the sidepods were too big. Even though you can't put everything down to that, of course, and the underbody is certainly the most important thing in terms of performance. But they are definitely a factor that contributes to performance, because one has a great influence on the other.

It is therefore quite worrying that, in addition to the German media, the Italian media are now also picking up the reports hat the W14 is probably not as big a leap as had been hoped. And Mercedes has apparently already confirmed changes in the sidepod area and told that they won't be able to fight for victories at the beginning of the season.

"The first version of the W14 would not fully satisfy the engineers of the former world champion team. "Last year we had some problems and we addressed them, trying to figure out what they were and how to solve them. We think we have solved some of them, while we still have to work on others," Hamilton said. Indeed, work is already underway at Brackley on the first major package of aerodynamic developments, which, at least to date, is scheduled around the Baku Grand Prix. "For the bellies, this is a first version but past the first races, they will change a bit," the Austrian TP spoiled. From these updates Mercedes expects a real step forward, not that the W14 isn't compared to the W13, that can correct further problems, ideally closing that gap that may still be there in the very early part of the season compared to Red Bull and Ferrari. "I don't expect to be in the fight for victory in the first few GPs of the season while I have more confidence for afterwards, when the first updates on the W14 will come." indeed, Lewis Hamilton said on the sidelines of the presentation of his new 'black' weapon."

So if Mercedes seems to be (already) working on the sidepods again - it doesn't exactly show that they are so unimportant. And frankly, I think that Mercedes' "enlargement" of the Zeropods alone shows that the disadvantages discussed last year are a fact, since it is exactly this enlargement that in interaction with the mid-wing vortex, the front-wing tip vortex and the outer strakes tries to minimize these disadvantages. From what you hear from other teams, this concept does have promising advantages, but it's too complex and there are other ways to achieve the same performance in a simpler way that also have more potential. But it's definitely great to see and I'm grateful to Mercedes for not taking the easy way out. It will be exciting to see if they get it right or get bogged down in the complexity of it.

Full Article : https://www.formu1a.uno/mercedes-pretat ... sulla-w14/

Moreover, I also trust Mercedes that these are already the first tactical games and sandbagging. We have to wait for the tests before we can say anything. And even then it will be difficult as we know. This year i think only the first race will show the truth.

JonoNic

Just asking the Aero experts. Will those new brakes ducts (venting out of the hot air) aid the desired outwash on the W14?
Always find the gap then use it.

SparkyAMG

Aston Martin did change concept mid season, but the point is that they had the update planned in CFD form back in November 2021.

If the W14 receives a conceptual update after a few races it won't be because the launch car hasn't performed as hoped, which is what Ted Kravitz's was suggesting (it also suggests that Mercedes don't know what they're doing).

On the contrary, the team have made the following points pretty clear:

- they tried something different on the W13, it didn't work
- the launch spec is receiving a significant update at some point after a few races, and if this means a sidepod concept change then it will have been planned for months already
- the launch spec isn't expected to be competitive, but the upgrade is

Stu

hollus wrote:
21 Feb 2023, 21:36
Can we discuss a hypothetical B-spec if and when it appears? (Or in the team thread)
Just to re-iterate…
Take notice please, this is not a speculation thread!!!
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.