2023 car comparison thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Henk_v
Henk_v

Re: 2023 car comparison thread

You COG is around the belly button, mid core of your body. As drivers are in a "v" shape in the car, I'd assume their COG is around the physical belly button.

Imagine taking 20kg's from there and putting it below the chair, that's 25 cm lower easy.

Engineers will chew off a limb to get "a small sack of cement" 25 cm's lower in the car.

20kg's is a bit over 2,5% of the total weight of the car. The above lowers the COG by almost 6,3mm

Ballast is not about what you put in the nose of the car like the pretty pictures. Actually, engineers would move any ballast to the center of rotation, as low as possible if they could choose. They want to limit it's inertia ans lower it's COG.

Those picture of ballast in the nose is to compensate for something else (handling or axle weight limits) they are not able to compensate otherwise and will be high on the priority list to move it back to the center of the car.

Vanja #66

That's all true, but you can't put those 20kg in front wing as ballast :mrgreen: That was my point
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Henk_v
Henk_v

Oh sorry for not making it more evident; I agree with you. Just made a point that it's not trivial.

If you can find 10kg's on the car averaging 50 cm above the floor and 1m away from the COR and move it to the COR and on floor level, that is a significant handling improvement.

If you see teams ballasting the nose, remember they are not winners. Engineers screwed up the balance and they are now fixing it in a horrible way.

This ballast might solve some understeer, making the car go faster around the lap, but nowhere near as fast as a car with the proper balance to begin with and ballast center-low.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

Venturiation
Venturiation

how fast do you think other teams will add S duct to their cars if there is ban from the fia?

S-Duct Ferrari SF-23: the first request for clarification has arrived at the FIA

mzso
mzso

LM10 wrote:
18 Feb 2023, 11:41
mzso wrote:
18 Feb 2023, 11:08
f1316 wrote:
18 Feb 2023, 02:37

We’ve seen the true MB.
The true dummy car. And after a few races they'll bring their actual developments for this year.
It is their actual 2023 car. Every team will bring developments after a few races.
Yes, but Mercedes' is likely to be drastic.

mzso
mzso

Henk_v wrote:
21 Feb 2023, 10:24
You COG is around the belly button, mid core of your body. As drivers are in a "v" shape in the car, I'd assume their COG is around the physical belly button.

Imagine taking 20kg's from there and putting it below the chair, that's 25 cm lower easy.

Engineers will chew off a limb to get "a small sack of cement" 25 cm's lower in the car.

20kg's is a bit over 2,5% of the total weight of the car. The above lowers the COG by almost 6,3mm

Ballast is not about what you put in the nose of the car like the pretty pictures. Actually, engineers would move any ballast to the center of rotation, as low as possible if they could choose. They want to limit it's inertia ans lower it's COG.

Those picture of ballast in the nose is to compensate for something else (handling or axle weight limits) they are not able to compensate otherwise and will be high on the priority list to move it back to the center of the car.
COG is of little relevance. A taller person has disproportionally longer legs, so a lot of extra weight is in the legs, which is both forward and higher. So you're not taking the weight from the navel. So a midget driver is even more advantaged.

Henk_v
Henk_v

Just tried to illustrate a point, not giving an anatomy lecture. Yuki has a kinda big head for his body and likely has small feet too. Maybe putting him upside down in the car will make him faster ;)

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

Venturiation wrote:
21 Feb 2023, 19:11
how fast do you think other teams will add S duct to their cars if there is ban from the fia?
I dont imagine many teams will be in a hurry to develop and implement a banned feature...

matteosc
matteosc

Seanspeed wrote:
22 Feb 2023, 15:34
Venturiation wrote:
21 Feb 2023, 19:11
I dont imagine many teams will be in a hurry to develop and implement a banned feature...
I do not think it will be banned until at least next year, and honestly I do not think it will be banned even then. It does not produce flows that are against the purpose of the current regulation and its legality has to do with how the different volumes are defined. The original S-duct (in the nose) stayed around for quite a while, I do not see why this should be banned.

That said, I believe its effectiveness largely depends on the overall car concept, and with Ferrari so different from most of other team, it is possible that the S-duct is a significant advantage for Ferrari only. Therefore it may not be copied at all.

shady
shady

Henk_v wrote:

Drivers behind's are not 25cm from the ground let alone the reference plane - Their bums are figuratively scraping the ground.

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

matteosc wrote:
22 Feb 2023, 16:07
I do not think it will be banned until at least next year, and honestly I do not think it will be banned even then. It does not produce flows that are against the purpose of the current regulation and its legality has to do with how the different volumes are defined. The original S-duct (in the nose) stayed around for quite a while, I do not see why this should be banned.

That said, I believe its effectiveness largely depends on the overall car concept, and with Ferrari so different from most of other team, it is possible that the S-duct is a significant advantage for Ferrari only. Therefore it may not be copied at all.
I dont expect it to be banned, either. I was just kind of jokingly pointing out the absurdity of their question.

Henk_v
Henk_v

shady wrote:
22 Feb 2023, 16:46
Henk_v wrote:

Drivers behind's are not 25cm from the ground let alone the reference plane - Their bums are figuratively scraping the ground.
Sure. Please read the post. Their COG is.

F1NAC

From Autosport twitter

That RB suspension geometry is something else

Vanja #66

Massive difference of rear wing and engine cover size. My own 100% personal subjective preference is Ferrari approach to RW conditioning, overall car concept difference is absolute and I'm sure Mercedes know exactly what they are doing. :)
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie