2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Vanja #66

Re: 2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

I can understand Binotto's approach to title fight and getting back to the top of the field, but there have been other things over the season that must have been handled better. TD039, team orders and strategy were bigger problems than engine. Maybe the engine wasn't capable of winning the championship, but poor strategies and handling the drivers lost 3-4 wins. Engine lost 2 more, Leclerc lost a win in France (reverse problems then lost any points sadly) and conservative rear wing choice lost them the Miami win. Imagine how much better the season would have been with at least Monaco and Hungary wins...
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

FW17

The engine was an issue and they knew it, but I did not understand why they did not run full power the way Merc ran in 2021. The 5 place grid penalty would have been a gift rather than a 30 hp reduction.
Binotto throwing the towel after the French GP was certainly not the right way.

organic

FW17 wrote:
16 Feb 2023, 12:04
The engine was an issue and they knew it, but I did not understand why they did not run full power the way Merc ran in 2021. The 5 place grid penalty would have been a gift rather than a 30 hp reduction.
They were already 100 pts behind in the constructors by that point and max had 60 pts lead in drivers iirc, plus they knew td039 was coming with the flexi-floor clampdown and more strict porpoising control. Ferrari probably knew that would upset their car already by France & would fall off in terms of performance to some extent

wowgr8
wowgr8

Vanja #66 wrote:
16 Feb 2023, 11:51
I can understand Binotto's approach to title fight and getting back to the top of the field, but there have been other things over the season that must have been handled better. TD039, team orders and strategy were bigger problems than engine. Maybe the engine wasn't capable of winning the championship, but poor strategies and handling the drivers lost 3-4 wins. Engine lost 2 more, Leclerc lost a win in France (reverse problems then lost any points sadly) and conservative rear wing choice lost them the Miami win. Imagine how much better the season would have been with at least Monaco and Hungary wins...
Monaco was absolutely criminal, it still hurts more than any other race I've experienced to this day. If Charles doesn't renew, I think that's the day that would've sealed it.

wowgr8
wowgr8

FW17 wrote:
The key difference is that Merc's 2021 engine was absolutely bulletproof reliability wise and that's why they could afford to 'overclock' it the way they did with minimal risk, Ferrari's engine last year had awful reliability. The situations were not the same.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

wowgr8 wrote:
16 Feb 2023, 13:35
FW17 wrote:
The key difference is that Merc's 2021 engine was absolutely bulletproof reliability wise and that's why they could afford to 'overclock' it the way they did with minimal risk, Ferrari's engine last year had awful reliability. The situations were not the same.
He was so reliable that he lost a lot of power due once he had a bit of mileage... It still better than a DNF but Hamilton would have won in Turkey for example without this penalty.
I think Ferrari had an issue with mileage last season too

Wouter

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... maranello/
Vasseur handwriting already recognizable

The 54-year-old Frenchman is currently settling in at Ferrari. The presentation of the SF-23 was the start of a long journey. After four weeks, the overview is already so large that the first structural changes have been made.

"I already have a pretty good idea of what makes this team tick. Everyone's DNA is the same. It has nothing to do with the size of the team. What differs from Sauber is the expectations." The learning process is not over yet. "In Bahrain I'll see how the team works on the track. I'll probably never stop learning."
The Power of Dreams!

organic

Four power units planned for the season and they will monitor the status of the turbos carefully
Runs are back to full power, however, some issues,which do not worry the technicians of the Italian team excessively but which will certainly be verified on the track, occurred at the turbocharger unit. “We are having some positive feedback on the dyno regarding some modifications produced, but as usual the track will tell us if we have done a good job.” Gualtieri made it known. The Italian team has already planned a season with the use of four units for the 23 races ,
Sounds like turbo issues aren't necessarily fixed yet.

Edax
Edax

Vanja #66 wrote:
I am not a ferrari fan, but I seem to feel a lot less negative than most fans about last year.

Let’s face it RB and verstappen were remarkably efficient last year: in driving, in strategy, in pitstops and engineering (decisions). That meant that every mistake of others was punished hard.

But on the flipside Ferrari has much to celebrate. They have come up with a clever interpretation of the rules that seems to work well on track.

They have built the car and now they have to built the team around that car.

It sounds maybe a bit corny but in order to build a team you have to let them make mistakes, learn and grow. In that respect I think the biggest risk for Ferrari, is demanding too much too soon.

The impatience, the “what if” and “should have / would have” scenarios, and the demand for changes as soon as something goes wrong has IMO a bigger risk of throwing Ferrari off course than anything else.

Andi76
Andi76

Vanja #66 wrote:
Of course, you can certainly see it that way. You're certainly right about Monaco and Hungary. However, I think that the "carte blanche" that the FIA created for itself ages ago regarding changes for safety reasons might have made any other approach look more advantageous, but in truth it would also have been just a charade, since there's nothing you can do here anyway. Once the FIA comes along with safety, there's nothing you can do. Also, you have to consider that Ferrari's "opponents" could have turned the tables and said that Ferrari is selfish and is willing to put the health and lives of the drivers at risk. There are enough similar examples. Therefore, I find Binotto's approach to TD39 understandable and not so wrong. Deficiencies, however, were indeed in the anticipation of the whole and the strategic foresight of this issue. A Ross Brawn or Jean Todt would have foreseen what was coming and acted accordingly. If that's what you mean, I totally agree. Regarding strategy, I think a team has to grow first, because when it comes to winning and fighting for the championship, it's a whole other thing. You also have to find out why these mistakes were made. I think Binotto did that, because in the last races of the season Ferrari had the better strategy than Mercedes and Red Bull. Without wanting to defend Binotto here - but I actually think he didn't do too much wrong, on the contrary. But the beginning of the 2023 season will show it, both in terms of technical approach and other things, because here in all areas Binotto's influence and decisions will be what is felt.

Lucky
Lucky

organic

Lucky wrote:
23 Feb 2023, 09:07
Good!

FW17

New janitor at the ferrari factory

F1NAC

organic wrote:
23 Feb 2023, 09:09
Lucky wrote:
23 Feb 2023, 09:07
Good!
That was already done last year.

organic

Sainz has lost the rear 3-4 times at turn 6 this morning. Just did it again.

Could be a replay of start of 2022 with Sainz not enjoying the balance but Leclerc thriving