2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
McFAN
McFAN

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

FittingMechanics wrote:
23 Feb 2023, 16:16
Car is sitting in the box for last two hours. Whatever the excuse, that is not something that should happen to a good team.
A little harsh I think considering that reliability really hasn't been a concern in the last few years.

mwillems

They can make it stronger overnight and it will be fine for the test.

F1.com With no understanding of what the problem is at all, idiots.:

"We have not seen a lot of Norris in the afternoon session, with the Briton having only completed five laps so far. And Formula 1's Technical Expert Sam Collins has revealed that McLaren are struggling with some brake issues - a repeat of the same issue that hampered their pre-season testing in Bahrain in 2022."

Reaching for conclusions and then leaping for conclusions.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Darth-Piekus

I am speechless. Someone is responsible for this kind of problem as it shouldn't happen on a team that targets to be on top at some point. You can't be losing precious testing time as it costs a lot in F1.
Last edited by Darth-Piekus on 23 Feb 2023, 16:23, edited 1 time in total.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

It sure looks like the same issue from last year. Frantic looking mechanic with a screwdriver and aluminum foil trying to jury rig a solution. :D

From what I could see, they are working around the brake ducts. Maybe the heat is damaging parts around?

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

I'm quite surprised so many people here are trying to downplay this.

I could accept making a mistake one year. But having it repeat next year is really really amateurish. Hopefully they can make a fix over night and continue with the programme.

mwillems

FittingMechanics wrote:
23 Feb 2023, 16:23
It sure looks like the same issue from last year. Frantic looking mechanic with a screwdriver and aluminum foil trying to jury rig a solution. :D

From what I could see, they are working around the brake ducts. Maybe the heat is damaging parts around?
It is damaging the brows above it, so they need to be made a bit stronger.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

mwillems wrote:
23 Feb 2023, 16:25
FittingMechanics wrote:

It is damaging the brows above it, so they need to be made a bit stronger.

Ben1980
Ben1980

Aren't all the reports that it isn't the same issue as last year. Which was fixed anyway.

Not sure why people would say it is. Laziness probably

Darth-Piekus

Either it is or it isn't I don't think it matters. What matters is why that happened in the first place?

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Darth-Piekus wrote:
23 Feb 2023, 16:28
Either it is or it isn't I don't think it matters. What matters is why that happened in the first place?
It may be a different issue, but it is obviously in a similar location and probably points to a mistake in their engineering process. Maybe some assumption is made that is not true. I would have expected them to solve it last year but who knows how that works.

Lando left the garage. Hopefully he can get some running in.

McFAN
McFAN

FittingMechanics wrote:

Very unlikely to be the same issue,
They resolved the problem pretty quickly and they were fine for the rest of the season.

organic

McFAN wrote:
23 Feb 2023, 16:30
FittingMechanics wrote:

They resolved the problem pretty quickly and they were fine for the rest of the season.
"pretty quickly"

The problems with their front brake ducts put them on the back foot for their development for the entire season :lol: #-o

Seerix
Seerix

McFAN wrote:
FittingMechanics wrote:

You do realize they were racing with bootleg brakes for several races last season and publicly stated that that problem costed them months of development delays?

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

organic wrote:
23 Feb 2023, 16:31
McFAN wrote:
FittingMechanics wrote:

"pretty quickly"

The problems with their front brake ducts put them on the back foot for their development for the entire season :lol: #-o
Yeah, it was solved so quickly that whole of Bahrain last year was compromised in addition to the first race.

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

At least NOR is out and immediately doing laps not going back into the pits