2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
CjC
CjC

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Macklaren wrote:
24 Feb 2023, 20:50
More details on the Stella interview and drag comments here

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mcla ... /10436133/
It’s a hard life being a Mclaren fan.
Just a fan's point of view

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

CjC wrote:
24 Feb 2023, 21:03
Macklaren wrote:

Yep 👍 but I like to stay positive. The concept is good. They’re not in the woods - correlation with simulations seem on point. Now it’s just a straight question of: how good is your TD?

Darth-Piekus

I would say let's wait the last day to see where the car stands and then we can make assumptions.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Macklaren wrote:
24 Feb 2023, 20:29
for the technically challenged amongst us...what is the net result of poor aero efficiency? last year's drag issue is not sufficiently improved?
Efficiency is the coefficient of downforce at a certain amount of drag… It doesn’t mean that they haven’t improve their drag compared to last year, but they are not producing as much downforce as they would like to for a given amount of drag.

On the other hand, drag / downforce is also a function of speed… You can build a very high downforce car, but that is “pesky” meaning that the usable downforce is only good at high levels of speed for example, but very low at lower / medium speeds… This usually translates into balance problems or simply a car that is more suited for certain track more than others (which is a characteristic that all Formula 1 cars have, the MCL35 / MCL35M was peaky, with good amount of downforce in high speed and usually up there in the times when high speed turns were prevalent in a circuit, while it struggled in low / medium speed corners).

One of the challenges in the past has been looking for that Maximum Downforce, which created cars with a lot of DF, but not “efficient” through the lap and one of the reasons that they may have struggle with balance… Lando’s comments after the launch of the MCL60 was that he asked the team for a more balanced car instead of outright peak performance, meaning that he wanted a car more efficient with similar downforce levels among a wider spread of speed / corners, even when it may not have the highest downforce possible.

mwillems

Seerix wrote:
24 Feb 2023, 18:45
Ground Effect wrote:
24 Feb 2023, 18:43
F1 pundits and journalists now peddle and transact on feelings, sounds and vibes. Has anyone come up with any deep delve analysis of the data, which is what they should be working with? Like I said, McLaren may actually be in a bad way, but there's nothing concrete about anything. With "teething" problems, the team did nearly 140 laps today. One day to go, lets see how tomorrow pans out.
They are just quoting Zak you know... no need to pretend otherwise
“We had some teething problems yesterday,” Brown admitted
https://www.racefans.net/2023/02/24/mcl ... 023-brown/
And after he said "Nothing alarming, just the usual testing bugs."

And then "“But I think we will be going into the the first race off of our projected targets and it’s hard to really know where that means we’ll be on the grid.”"

It sure sounds like we could be faster, but it doesn't sound like doom and gloom.

This is Andreas Stella today:

"Last year, we had some clear objectives in terms of development, they had to do with aerodynamic efficiency, some development related to the exploitation of the tyres, and also some other objectives to improve the balance," explained Stella.

"The reality is that most of these objectives have actually been met. But the objective in terms of aerodynamic efficiency of the car, that's the one where we are still shy of what was our target.

"So some of the objectives have been met. Aerodynamic efficiency is still not where we would like it to be, or where we would like it to be a top-four contender. So I would say that's the one in which we are still short."

And we know that the team have an upgrade package which deals with the outwash from the front wing and should offer a good step forward.
Last edited by mwillems on 24 Feb 2023, 22:00, edited 3 times in total.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

CjC
CjC

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
24 Feb 2023, 21:06
CjC wrote:
24 Feb 2023, 21:03
Macklaren wrote:

Yep 👍 but I like to stay positive. The concept is good. They’re not in the woods - correlation with simulations seem on point. Now it’s just a straight question of: how good is your TD?
Good question. If Mclaren aren’t close to the front (not necessarily fighting for wins) once the the wind tunnel is up and running then current Mclaren employees will be looking for a new job- and I’m not the sacking for sacking sake type of guy.

CjC
CjC

mwillems wrote:
24 Feb 2023, 21:48
Seerix wrote:
Ground Effect wrote:
24 Feb 2023, 18:43
F1 pundits and journalists now peddle and transact on feelings, sounds and vibes. Has anyone come up with any deep delve analysis of the data, which is what they should be working with? Like I said, McLaren may actually be in a bad way, but there's nothing concrete about anything. With "teething" problems, the team did nearly 140 laps today. One day to go, lets see how tomorrow pans out.

And then "“But I think we will be going into the the first race off of our projected targets and it’s hard to really know where that means we’ll be on the grid.”"

It sure sounds like we could be faster, but it doesn't sound like doom and gloom.

"Last year, we had some clear objectives in terms of development, they had to do with aerodynamic efficiency, some development related to the exploitation of the tyres, and also some other objectives to improve the balance," explained Stella.

"The reality is that most of these objectives have actually been met. But the objective in terms of aerodynamic efficiency of the car, that's the one where we are still shy of what was our target.

"So some of the objectives have been met. Aerodynamic efficiency is still not where we would like it to be, or where we would like it to be a top-four contender. So I would say that's the one in which we are still short."

And we know that the team have an upgrade package which deals with the outwash from the front wing and should offer a good step forward.
Sounding like Aston Martin and Alpine are ahead in the pecking order to me from those comments. Think we might be in for a season long battle with Mclarens old team principle for P6👍🏻👍🏻

continuum16

I’m not a McLaren fan, but to those who are I admire your loyalty through the last decade. It’s gonna be another year of waiting for breakthroughs it seems.

I don’t think they would have done this deliberately, but there could be a slight upside to a slow start to the season: if they are low in the WCC by end of June they will get more WT testing time in the second half of the year, which would be of extra benefit to, say, a team which is supposed to get a brand new wind tunnel around that time.
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain

mwillems

CjC wrote:
24 Feb 2023, 22:02
mwillems wrote:
24 Feb 2023, 21:48
Seerix wrote:

Sounding like Aston Martin and Alpine are ahead in the pecking order to me from those comments. Think we might be in for a season long battle with Mclarens old team principle for P6👍🏻👍🏻
Possibly. I think my point is that there are a lot of articles with differing perspectives, the car is not good vs specific efficiency targets not being met whilst all the others were.

The noise doesn't sound good, but the quotes that we hear are not aligned with some of the more detailed ones suggesting it isn't too bad and they have a fix soon anyway.

So I don't know at all.
Last edited by mwillems on 24 Feb 2023, 22:12, edited 1 time in total.

-Bandit

mwillems

Darth-Piekus wrote:
24 Feb 2023, 21:19
I would say let's wait the last day to see where the car stands and then we can make assumptions.
Good idea, wait until we still don't have enough data to come to a conclusion.

It's only 7 days, you're going to find out pretty soon what the car is like, don't torment yourself!

-Bandit

the EDGE
the EDGE

Stay positive guys... No one said being a McLaren fan was easy

Just look how McLaren turned it around last year... Race 1, they were nowhere... race 4. and a well earned podium

We already know there is a big update coming in a couple of months, so even if it its not good next weekend, there's plenty to be happy about, and that's not to mention having the best driver on the grid, and most highly rated rookie in say... the last 4 years, behind the 2 car's steering wheels...ops, I just did :wink:

MrGapes

the EDGE wrote:
24 Feb 2023, 22:26
Stay positive guys... No one said being a McLaren fan was easy

Just look how McLaren turned it around last year... Race 1, they were nowhere... race 4. and a well earned podium

We already know there is a big update coming in a couple of months, so even if it its not good next weekend, there's plenty to be happy about, and that's not to mention having the best driver on the grid, and most highly rated rookie in say... the last 4 years, behind the 2 car's steering wheels...ops, I just did :wink:
100%…we all went through McHonda surely it can’t be that bad right… right

With the amount this team is talking about this damn upgrade, that sh*t better be a rocket their going to strap to the car

Macklaren
Macklaren

...and until we countdown to Baku, one can hope that rivals trip up with their own issues in the first few races (Merc front axle downforce, AMR electrical/constantly breaking floors, Alpine pace/porpoising, AT/Haas pace etc)

BrunoH
BrunoH

as i said before the lack of ambition even before the test now shows.. we want to be the 4 best... cmon its planning to fail from the start! i really hope the new tunnel and tech really help this otherwise we are the new Williams.... im really afraid we have killed Mclaren! they need to be doing a car with the aim to win at least races!

proteus

BrunoH wrote:
24 Feb 2023, 22:53
as i said before the lack of ambition even before the test now shows.. we want to be the 4 best... cmon its planning to fail from the start! i really hope the new tunnel and tech really help this otherwise we are the new Williams.... im really afraid we have killed Mclaren! they need to be doing a car with the aim to win at least races!
Yes, we saw when they made a 2015 car with intention to win the championship and we all know how that truned out to be...

They remained cool headed this year and it is much better than overhyping things. We all know they are still not in a position to be winning races, and doing that in modern F1 has become almost impossible as a privateer. As a customer even almighty RedBull was barely able to win in a new turbo era with one of the best designers by their side. Recovery of Mclaren is a long journey, Zak managed to stabilise the team, get the money and sponsors, Lando as a no.1 driver and now Piastri hopefully also being competitive. Second half are the facilities now and last part of the plan should be poaching more engineering talent and somewhat get themself another factory engine deal if possible.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows