2023 car comparison thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Henk_v
Henk_v

Re: 2023 car comparison thread

Didnt dare to mention it here as I was unsure I was right, but now confirmed; RB are the only ones that did not maximise the diffuser by rounding it. AT has a tiny bit rounding. Beam wing of AT is certainly RB inspired too as they are the only teams running both wings really crancked. Alsonthe AT FW is really close to RB. Somebody definitely forgot to wipe some whiteboards there....

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

It just occured to me.

Is there some kind of minimum radius requirement that almost all teams are adhering to for the canon outlet? They all seem to have this prescribed shape.

Vanja #66

Henk_v wrote:
24 Feb 2023, 19:53
Didnt dare to mention it here as I was unsure I was right, but now confirmed; RB are the only ones that did not maximise the diffuser by rounding it. AT has a tiny bit rounding. Beam wing of AT is certainly RB inspired too as they are the only teams running both wings really crancked. Alsonthe AT FW is really close to RB. Somebody definitely forgot to wipe some whiteboards there....
RB seems to maximise vertical expansion in conjunction with beam wing. Not sure, but I think last year they did what other teams are also doing now.

AR3-GP wrote:
24 Feb 2023, 19:56
It just occured to me.

Is there some kind of minimum radius requirement that almost all teams are adhering to for the canon outlet? They all seem to have this prescribed shape.
R50, I think for all sidepod bodywork and lower parts of engine cover, where cannon outlets are open
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

organic

Vanja #66 wrote:
24 Feb 2023, 20:01

RB seems to maximise vertical expansion in conjunction with beam wing. Not sure, but I think last year they did what other teams are also doing now.
Agreed.. If you look at photos it looks like they save a bit of expansion to the very end and it cranks very hard at the end of the diffuser..

Vanja #66

Tifosi be like

Well, some of us at least :mrgreen:

#BlessYouLaddie

deadhead

I'm gonna embarrass myself..

Is that the F2007?

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

A couple of pictures that may show the biggest difference between the Mercedes Sidepods and the ones using wider sidepods… Beyond the discussed drag that could be generated by the rear tires, what the images seem to show is how the wide sidepods protect the top of the diffuser from the front tire wake, while the Mercedes sidepods allow more of it to get into that area.

Yes, there are many factors that could be playing a role, like wheel angle during the lock up, wind and of course that the deceleration is not allowing other elements (like the Mercedes mid wing) to do it’s job and help manage that wake.

Thought it was worth sharing… Maybe @Vanja#66 could elaborate a bit (didn’t wanted to post them in the CFD thread since it could be off the mark).

Vanja #66

deadhead wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 00:59
I'm gonna embarrass myself..

Is that the F2007?
Yup.

SmallSoldier, yes that's exactly the reasoning behind wider sidepods. Absence of bargeboard demonstrates big bodywork changes were needed to make up this loss of outwash.

Mercedes actuallly reduced their sidepod outwash to reduce drag, but it seems to have hurt them in other ways.

#BlessYouLaddie

Morteza

Via @wearetherace
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

mzso
mzso

Henk_v wrote:
Looking at the pictures there's a variety of rounding, probably no-one maximized it. Ferrari seems closest to having a sharp corner.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

mzso wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 12:45
Henk_v wrote:
Looking at the pictures there's a variety of rounding, probably no-one maximized it. Ferrari seems closest to having a sharp corner.
You can see what OP is talking about. The RB by far, has the largest radius. The other teams pale in comparison.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Morteza wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 11:26
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FpzNMpYWYAE ... name=large

Via @wearetherace
RB's beam wing is massive.

Henk_v
Henk_v

Anything past the first element of the FW can not be judged on its angle of attack by eye as you just dont know the local flow field. The RB wings might be gently extracting more air out of the agressively expanding diffuser with little drag, while the tapering wings of the ferrari might be really working the air hard to get some desired effect. Eyeballing, especially at the back of the car is quite useless.

So I'll make a useless point :lol: ;

While the beamwing may look like agressive, between the backed off and slimmed ends and the rounded off diffuser they actially have the most clear path area for the air to escape. So it looks to me like they maximised where most effective and favoured drag reduction where working the air is just less effective, which might me an example why they are so effecient

variante

SmallSoldier wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 01:50
A couple of pictures that may show the biggest difference between the Mercedes Sidepods and the ones using wider sidepods… Beyond the discussed drag that could be generated by the rear tires, what the images seem to show is how the wide sidepods protect the top of the diffuser from the front tire wake, while the Mercedes sidepods allow more of it to get into that area.
The main job of the RedBull-style sidepods is to limit inwash to encourage downwash.
Downwash is used to provide additional load to the wear wing, and that's why Mercedes have to compensate by using a bigger one.

The other half of the sidepods game is trying to direct the front tires wake on the rear tires, to reduce drag.
And that's where Mercedes have an advantage.

carisi2k

variante wrote:
26 Feb 2023, 02:36

The other half of the sidepods game is trying to direct the front tires wake on the rear tires, to reduce drag.
And that's where Mercedes have an advantage.
Don't you mean disadvantage since they struggle with drag but also the above images with the brake locking show me why they have so much inconsistent aero resulting in instability.