Red Bull RB5

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Re: Red Bull RB5

kilcoo316 wrote:Here is a question - is there a limit to how wide the rear crash structure can be?
2009 Technical Regulations.
15.5.3 An impact absorbing structure must be fitted behind the gearbox symmetrically about the car centre line with the centre of area of its rearmost face 300mm (+/-5mm) above the reference plane and no less than 575mm behind the rear wheel centre line.
The rearmost face of the impact structure must be a rectangular section no less than 100mm wide, this minimum width must be maintained over a height of at least 130mm and each corner may incorporate a radius no greater than 10mm. Between the rear face and the rear wheel centre line no dimension of the area thus defined may diminish nor may any part of the structure or gearbox which is visible from below, other than the permitted radii be higher than the lower edge of the rear face.
No requirement to maximum width, but a specific requirement for minimum 100mm wide.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

kilcoo316
kilcoo316

I know what I would be doing then...

Having a hollow rear crash structure of extreme width and sizeable height...

Which just happens to blend into the upper deck of the diffuser suction surface.

ISLAMATRON

kilcoo316 wrote:I know what I would be doing then...

Which just happens to blend into the upper deck of the diffuser suction surface.
Would the hollow nature of your crash structure pass the FIA crash tests? or is that not important?

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

Well there is a reason they don't disallow that but keep in mind your isolating the diffuser from the wings! Not a good idea, IMO.
kilcoo316 wrote:I know what I would be doing then...

kilcoo316
kilcoo316

ISLAMATRON wrote:Would the hollow nature of your crash structure pass the FIA crash tests? or is that not important?
They are all hollow anyway.

I would greatly enlarge the box section.

kilcoo316
kilcoo316

BreezyRacer wrote:Well there is a reason they don't disallow that but keep in mind your isolating the diffuser from the wings! Not a good idea, IMO.
No your not - your effectively integrating the diffuser and lower wing support much much closer.

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

Maybe I'm missing what you're saying but if you look at the back of the RB5 and imagine the crash structure/rain light area running full width you are seriously compromising the lower wing and isolating it from the upper and lower decks of the diffuser. Care to provide a sketch?
kilcoo316 wrote:
BreezyRacer wrote:Well there is a reason they don't disallow that but keep in mind your isolating the diffuser from the wings! Not a good idea, IMO.
No your not - your effectively integrating the diffuser and lower wing support much much closer.

ISLAMATRON

Notice the new cooling exhaust on top of the sidepod, just on the side of the cockpit surround

Dmitry_black
Dmitry_black

ISLAMATRON wrote: Notice the new cooling exhaust on top of the sidepod, just on the side of the cockpit surround
This exhausts appeared in Monaco. viewtopic.php?p=109055#p109055

ISLAMATRON

thanks for the heads up

zgred

ISLAMATRON wrote:Image

Dmitry_black
Dmitry_black

Funny RB5 function:

axle
axle

Look out for a major change to the RB5 this weekend...

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/76287

The changes, which will include a new nose, engine cover and rear diffuser as well as modifications to the car's wheel-base - which has been back through the chassis - are believed to have given the car a significantly look.
- Axle

Dmitry_black
Dmitry_black

The team tries to win at any cost. They even published about updates on their site!

paused

axle wrote:Look out for a major change to the RB5 this weekend...

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/76287

The changes, which will include a new nose, engine cover and rear diffuser as well as modifications to the car's wheel-base - which has been back through the chassis - are believed to have given the car a significantly look.
Anyone happen to see any pics of updates yet? Quite curious to see.