2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Re: 2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Andi76 wrote:
01 Mar 2023, 14:38
AR3-GP wrote:
01 Mar 2023, 02:57
JPBD1990 wrote:
01 Mar 2023, 02:32

1) Ferrari went faster in testing this year than last year. While the tyres are new and accounted for much of this (probably), the margin of difference between the F1-75 and the SF-23 is greater than that of the RB18-19 and the W13-14.
This could simply be because Ferrari sandbagged more than anyone in 2022. Remember how everyone thought RB would be on pole and win in Bahrain last year or it could be because RB/Merc sandbagged more this year.

We have no idea.
Well, I would like to say several things about this. Of course, we can only speculate here, but the teams themselves know exactly how they have to assess the competition. There's a lot of effort being put into this with, as I think most people will know, GPS data, sound measurements etc. What stands out here is that Red Bull and Ferrari are very relaxed. At Mercedes it looks a little bit different. Yesterday I had a conversation with someone from Ferrari and I can only say that they are very satisfied and relaxed. This already shows that they are very sure to have a good car. He told me that most of the time they had lot of fuel on board all the time and they never actually made a real qualifying run. So even when they did their "faster" times, they still had more fuel on board than they would usually have. He also told me that they never looked for laptimes, not even with the faster times they did, it was all part of a well planed and organised programm and approach and you could feel the confidence when he said that. So correlation is definetely perfect and the car works just the way you want it to. And as I said - the teams know relatively well how good or how bad the competition is. So I expect Red Bull to be in front, but I also expect the SF-23 to be not far behind and to be the car with the greater development potential. However, this is where what really worries me comes into play, namely the development over the course of the season. Many people make fun of the fact that Ferrari never manages to develop the car as well as the competition during the season. But of course there's a reason for that. Ferrari used to be by far the best team here, back in the Schumacher era. The reason back then was that Ross Brawn, Rory Byrne, Jean Todt and Michael Schumacher really ran the race team. Ross Brawn had full technical responsibility and had this written into his contract. Of course, that didn't stop di Montezemolo from trying to exert influence here, as he had done all the years before and after that era. However, he ran into a wall, because Ross Brawn made it clear that he would not tolerate influencing his employees and ordering anything technical. Unlike the pre-Schumacher era and the post-Schumacher era, however, there was now a united front of race director, technical director, chief designer and number one driver who were completely loyal to each other and in complete agreement. The racing department is run by them, they are the professionals and not the president. And should the president not want or accept that, especially since the TD had even been contractually assured of that, as well as the chief designer, then they would leave, because that was not what had been agreed. So di Montezemolo was deprived of any influence concerning the racing team and the engineers could go about their work quietly and undisturbed, without the Ferrari or FIAT bosses messing up any technical things or development plans. And above all according to plan and in one direction. After the 2007 car that Brawn/Byrne and Schumacher were still developing was mostly finished, this ended and Brawn/Byrne and Schumacher left Ferrari. There came, as today, technical extremely capable people in their place, but people who no longer had the power to block out the disruptive influences and changes of direction of the bosses. An engineer could either do what the bosses wanted, or do what he thought was technically best, but that left him vulnerable. This is also the reason why some excellent engineers left Ferrari or others were fired after they argued with the bosses after failures regarding their interference that negatively affected the team technically.

Sorry, that was a bit much, but I think something like that has to be mentioned. Finally, I would like to say again that I have never experienced such confidence at Ferrari. And since the F1 teams usually know exactly where the competition stands, I think Ferrari is well prepared. At the latest when the first updates will come in the second or third race. But the car should already not be too far away from the Red Bull. Of course, this is a purely subjective assessment and I can be wrong, but it the impression of the Ferrari people conveys this quite clearly.
What does confidence and being relaxed really mean. First of all, I appreciate the insight and my next comment is definitely not to be seen as anything negative.

My only question is that I'm not sure what "appearing relaxed" really means. Aston Martin and Alpine also appear relaxed. Neither of those teams have the fastest car.

Yes I know each team (at least the bigger ones), have very thorough "competitive analysis debriefs". I'm just not sure anyone really knows. Being relaxed could just be satisfaction with their data and correlation as opposed to knowing they are the quickest (that goes for both RB and Ferrari as well as some of the darkhorse midfielders).

Capharol
Capharol

AR3-GP wrote:
02 Mar 2023, 01:12

What does confidence and being relaxed really mean. First of all, I appreciate the insight and my next comment is definitely not to be seen as anything negative.

My only question is that I'm not sure what "appearing relaxed" really means. Aston Martin and Alpine also appear relaxed. Neither of those teams have the fastest car.

Yes I know each team (at least the bigger ones), have very thorough "competitive analysis debriefs". I'm just not sure anyone really knows. Being relaxed could just be satisfaction with their data and correlation as opposed to knowing they are the quickest (that goes for both RB and Ferrari as well as some of the darkhorse midfielders).
"appearing to be relaxed" doesn't mean anything else that the team know they have a good car and can fight for the places they aim for.

the difference between relaxed at Ferrari and Aston Martin ist very simple... Ferrari knows they can fight for wins and podiums (maybe even championship), Aston Martin knows they can fight for P4 maybe even P3, there is the difference.

JPower
JPower

Looks like the team made the obvious decision in running a bit more DF across the rear and beam wings from testing.

Cooler temps and more downforce should definitely help take care of the rears.

Xyz22
Xyz22

Leclerc said in the interview today that he sees RB a little ahead in terms of performance right now.

Some additional comments on the car. To put some context, Max said the RB19 improved everywhere compared to the previous car.

avantman
avantman

He literally said the same last year prior to the Grand Prix, calling Max and Red bull the favorites. Typical downplaying game from Charles. Probably he felt not so comfy with the balance in testing. I mean it doesn't mean anything what he said. Max and Red bull are being always more optimistic, or better to say realistic.
The car is better in all way, I bet all the cars of all teams are better in all areas this year. The weight saving alone does make a lot of difference.

Vanja #66

Xyz22 wrote:
02 Mar 2023, 15:40
Some additional comments on the car. To put some context, Max said the RB19 improved everywhere compared to the previous car.
SF23 is a big improvement on top speed and team can add a lot more downforce whenever they want. RB19 is slight improvement everywhere at the moment. Both cars have improved a lot, Ferrari simply needs to find the proper setup in order to show where they are exactly.

Can we finally move on from total negativity to neutral?
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

LM10
LM10

Xyz22 wrote:
02 Mar 2023, 15:40
Leclerc said in the interview today that he sees RB a little ahead in terms of performance right now.
I’m 100% sure the SF-23 did not lose cornering performance. It’s apparent from testing. Just look at the comparison with the qualifying lap from last year. The SF-23 carried 7-8 km/h (!) more speed through T11 and T13 despite having more fuel + lower PU mode + significantly less rear, beam and front wing downforce. I don’t think that this was all up to the new tyres.

You’re still on the search to find negative aspects it seems. Let me tell you one thing, even if the SF-23 turns out not to be the fastest car in Bahrain and shows weaknesses (whatever they might be), this will not mean that you were right by any means. Just give Ferrari some time sorting out their car.

Chuckjr

Good grief, the Ferrari is fine. Shaall is simply downplaying. It’s better to downplay expectations than to bolster them. I don’t see worried and anxious, I see calm and poised confidence. Ferrari have made huge strides over the winter, namely, increase in top end speed and better aero efficiency. They have improved without adding drag. Those achievements alone are huge, but they also get their engine power back...and then some. These are enormous strides, people. Huge. Just one of them would be considered a good job. They have done better than average over the winter. There’s no reason to believe they won’t be very competitive.
Watching F1 since 1986.

organic

The technicians led by Enrico Cardile validated a rear load modification for this first Grand Prix of the season. In fact, in the Bahrain pits we saw a new specific beam wing, more loaded than the one used in the tests and very similar to the one used last season on the F1-75. The team will therefore carry out tests tomorrow to establish the ideal load choice for the rear, with the aim of improving the stability of the SF-23. These changes will help regain some downforce but it will necessarily have to be optimized with the front, the real weak point in testing the new Italian car .
. “In the tests we didn't show all the performance that the SF-23 has but neither did Red Bull. We will only see on Saturday afternoon in qualifying.” – said Leclerc – “The analyzes of the tests have shown us that perhaps we are a little behind them” . The Monegasque certainly seemed less euphoric than his teammate, preaching a lot of caution, similar to what Fred Vassuer did at the start of the first weekend of the season.“The first race is a starting point for reaching our goal which is to win the world championship. If there's more work to do because we'll be behind, we'll do everything to recover, if it's more positive than we think, that's better." concluded Leclerc.

“We haven't yet managed to exploit the car to 100% in testing and it wasn't even the goal given that in the first two days of testing we did a lot of data collection to understand if there was a correlation between what the car does and what we expected from the data collected in Maranello. The results have been positive.” – said the Monegasque – “On the last day we focused a little more on the balance sheet and from that point of view there is still a bit of work to do but the feeling was good . There's a very strong Red Bull but it's only the beginning of the year and I'm sure we can do a great job”.
The goal declared by Vasseur is to win the world championship, reiterated today also by Leclerc. "We have a lot of motivation, not pressure, because after a second place you can only improve to win, and I think that's what motivates us all: morning and evening I only think about winning , this is what makes me fall in love with this sport as well as the driving, the idea of ​​winning all together is something that drives me every day, and that also drives Ferrari and Ferrari deserves to win . We are here to try and make this dream come true.” concluded the Monegasque. However, there are also the pilots' goals. Sainz was clear. He wants to start the year better than last year and not struggle.“My goal is not to make any mistakes in the first 3-4 races and have a better feeling with the car. This is why I gave a lot of importance to these three days of testing. I wanted to be sure to scan the whole car, my driving style and try the things I wanted to learn better before the first race of the season and be better prepared. We have to wait but I gave priority to this factor”. Is the SF-23 a car more suited to the driving style of the Spaniard? “The problem is that you may like the car in terms of driving, but if another team like Red Bull comes along and goes faster, then the starting point is always lower because it's not as fast as we'd like it to be. We don't know that yet, let's say that the tests went very well. We understand the car: we know what the strengths and weaknesses are and knowing them before the season starts is very important.”

https://www.formu1a.uno/ferrari-tanta-c ... r-la-sf-23

JPower
JPower

Even if the outlook for Bahrain isn't super rosy, the next 5 races seem to prioritize aero efficiency more than anything else. T

The SF-23 should hold a marked advantage over the F1-75 at those type of tracks and should be closer to going toe to toe with RB because of it. At least, thats my optimistic estimation. Guess we'll find out soon enough. :lol:

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

It could be complete and utter delusion, and if so I won’t be embarrassed to be proven wrong (I’m used to it after 15 years of failure) - but I just can’t shake the feeling that Ferrari is trolling and that they’ve built a beast, and know it. I think Charles is coming into this season with slightly different commentary to last year because last year taught him a lesson. He keeps talking of a long season and that it won’t be won or lost in the first races. let’s not forget that they managed to evaporate a championship lead of over 40 points last season.

Per AR3-GP’s post comparing the 2022 quali lap with their best testing lap - as LM10 summarised above - the Ferrari IS better everywhere. They’re playing games. I remember almost the exact same narrative last year too - redbull looking dominant, Ferrari look ok but a bit unknown.

Imo they’ll come out of the blocks strong. Let’s see

Xyz22
Xyz22

JPBD1990 wrote:
02 Mar 2023, 23:54
It could be complete and utter delusion, and if so I won’t be embarrassed to be proven wrong (I’m used to it after 15 years of failure) - but I just can’t shake the feeling that Ferrari is trolling and that they’ve built a beast, and know it. I think Charles is coming into this season with slightly different commentary to last year because last year taught him a lesson. He keeps talking of a long season and that it won’t be won or lost in the first races. let’s not forget that they managed to evaporate a championship lead of over 40 points last season.

Per AR3-GP’s post comparing the 2022 quali lap with their best testing lap - as LM10 summarised above - the Ferrari IS better everywhere. They’re playing games. I remember almost the exact same narrative last year too - redbull looking dominant, Ferrari look ok but a bit unknown.

Imo they’ll come out of the blocks strong. Let’s see
Really hope you're right.

FW17

Re: Ferrari SF23

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Bahrain is a night race.

avantman
avantman

Charles actually said, that it is 'his Idea, that Red bulls are a bit ahead', and attention!, that Idea is not supported by engineers data. Ferrari believe they are the fastest or at least on par with the Red bull.