2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
dialtone
dialtone

Re: 2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

PER v LEC

* Similar top speed, I wouldn't say there is much of a difference there any more.
* In T1 and T10 LEC is a lot slower, while watching the onboard he had understeer in those 2 corners, from testing this was the case between light on fuel and heavy on fuel, and he actually had less understeer during the race sim. These 2 corners is where the gap between the 2 laps is built.
* Once again here acceleration wise Ferrari was paying despite being on the throttle a LOT earlier
* On the flip side, PER was taking corners pretty easy, especially the slower stuff he was braking earlier and on the throttle later.

Hard to judge these 2, both appear to have plenty in the bag still.

F1ern
F1ern

Thank you for these analysis.

dialtone
dialtone

LEC in 2022 FP2 did a 1.32.0 lap, and then qualified with 1.30.5.

Here's Quali 2022 v FP2 2023

* slightly faster upshifts in 2022
* straight to T4 about the same speed today in FP2, however due to lower speed in acceleration and better speed at the end
* Plenty more performance to come out of T5-6-7
* T11, T12 really show the aero improvement of the car when in FP2 this year car is faster in the corners than last year quali car.
* T14-15 can be done much better, lost 0.2 just there in FP2 compared to quali last year rather than gaining 0.2 like each of the previous 2 corners.

If this car has at least the same 1.5s improvement to quali that should put it in the 1.29.8 or less come quali. Ferrari said their car is 1s+ faster though so one would assume they can get down to 1.29.5 or less.

Looking forward to quali and hopefully they can be the faster team.

Xyz22
Xyz22

dialtone wrote:
03 Mar 2023, 19:11
Xyz22 wrote:
03 Mar 2023, 18:34
dialtone wrote:
03 Mar 2023, 18:26

And SAI was 1s slower than LEC in race per lap or 1s faster than PER? Of course not, they are simulating 2 different stints.
Actually Sainz in Bahrain was close to be 1s off in average race pace compared to Lec last year IIRC. Something like 0.7 / 0.8s slower.
No he wasn't man :).

https://i.imgur.com/YCBMJo2.png

This is lap per lap in the race last year, aside from a slow first stint, he was matching LEC for the rest of the race.

Also let me just point out that the first lap is in the mid 38s and the second stint is in the mid 37s with a lot of tire deg.

This year there's less tire deg than that at the pace they were simming in FP2. AND I'm still betting that Ferrari and AM/RBR simulated 2 different stints.
Thanks for the in depth post.
I only had a mere average on my Excel file. Double-checked on this site https://f1teammatestats.herokuapp.com/f1analysis.php which had a similar result, but it's just an average here as well.

Checking on https://f1pace.com/p/2022-bahrain-gp-race-pace/, the mean race pace difference was around 0.4s.

Some of Lec comments after FP2

Last edited by Xyz22 on 03 Mar 2023, 20:29, edited 1 time in total.

organic

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/lecle ... /10439175/

So the car balance is better for Leclerc which is excellent news. Less understeer.
He told F1TV: “I don’t think we have the performance maybe for pole.

“It’s still early days. I maybe think that Aston is a bit quicker than what they will be tomorrow. We don’t know. It’s just what I think.”

Leclerc reckoned his team had “most work to do” in tuning the SF-23 to fix its race pace but said “there’s a bit of margin” to improve.

However, he did acknowledge that the car was better-behaved than in pre-season testing last week, when Leclerc was deliberately encumbered with understeer-biased set-ups.

He explained: “Let’s says that the feeling is better than testing.

“On my side in testing, it’s been very inconsistent in the way we run the car because we were testing a lot of things, so I didn’t have much time with the car to my liking. I did today.”

Sainz, meanwhile, felt the opposite, saying he was much less settled in the car as he found himself “struggling a bit more with the balance”.

Asked for his account of the spill, Sainz said: “We were just testing some things in the car, trying to finalise a few things that we wanted to try in FP1.

“[We were] scrubbing the medium tyres, which we wanted to get rid of in FP1, to use the softs in the night session.

“It didn't go to plan, clearly. It wasn't intentional.

“It was a test that went wrong, and we came back for FP2. I lost a bit of track time; I lost a bit of freedom and probably paid the price in FP2. Still, the car doesn't feel the same as it did in testing.”

Henri
Henri

dialtone wrote:
03 Mar 2023, 20:10
LEC in 2022 FP2 did a 1.32.0 lap, and then qualified with 1.30.5.

Here's Quali 2022 v FP2 2023

https://i.imgur.com/6Cqe3vr.jpeg

* slightly faster upshifts in 2022
* straight to T4 about the same speed today in FP2, however due to lower speed in acceleration and better speed at the end
* Plenty more performance to come out of T5-6-7
* T11, T12 really show the aero improvement of the car when in FP2 this year car is faster in the corners than last year quali car.
* T14-15 can be done much better, lost 0.2 just there in FP2 compared to quali last year rather than gaining 0.2 like each of the previous 2 corners.

If this car has at least the same 1.5s improvement to quali that should put it in the 1.29.8 or less come quali. Ferrari said their car is 1s+ faster though so one would assume they can get down to 1.29.5 or less.

Looking forward to quali and hopefully they can be the faster team.
2rd and 3rd should be tight with aston Martin in the mix

Vanja #66

Ferrari are compromised by not using new rear wing, it could be anywhere from 2-4 tenths a lap if it would provide near perfect balance and confidence. Yes, it's their fault, but the fact remains the car has excellent potential that needs to be unlocked.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

PhillipM
PhillipM

Yes, I think the worst effect is going to be looking after the rears in the race is going to hurt them now.

tpe
tpe

Let's be honest.
AM performance is true and Ferrari is battling with them, not RB.
I will be happy to stand corrected on Sunday.

dialtone
dialtone

Be that as it may, if AM built a good car they should be battling at the front, and it looks like that's what they are going to do. Being negative here won't change a thing.

Xyz22
Xyz22

It's going to be quite interesting to look at which teams improved the most over the previous year in quali.

deadhead

Xyz22 wrote:
03 Mar 2023, 22:19
It's going to be quite interesting to look at which teams improved the most over the previous year in quali.
Surely AM ...

Xyz22
Xyz22

deadhead wrote:
03 Mar 2023, 22:32
Xyz22 wrote:
03 Mar 2023, 22:19
Surely AM ...
Highly likely they will be first, considering the first spec they used last year was really terrible. Also, Mclaren should have a massive improvement due to the brake issues they encountered last year.

f1316
f1316

I’ll believe it when I see it for Ferrari not being there or thereabouts for pole - this reminds me of one of those Mercedes PR spins when they suddenly, miraculously, pulled out something from the bag (surprise surprise when the engine got turned up in quali).

Maybe it’s wishful thinking but I still have the sense that there’s significantly lower running of the PU than other teams, and while I think RB also a good margin there, I have a feeling Leclerc will come alive in Q3 and at least push them close.

dialtone
dialtone

It does seem real though that Ferrari is losing a bit in T1, T8 and T10, they'll need to work on that stuff I suppose during the 3 weeks break. This is a good video to understand the telemetry:

Ferrari is great under braking, they gain a lot there.
The other part is that Ferrari is losing time in the straights even with DRS on, which IMHO means the engine is turned down, like I said in my analysis already, of course the assumption is that they are efficient with their wing and aero that they should be hitting great top speed and have great acceleration.

What remains to hope for is that the car was running with understeer in T1-T8-T10 because of more fuel onboard, even just 10kg more are enough to justify the gap, 20kg more and they would be ahead by as much as they are behind now.

The team seems confident though, Leclerc hasn't said that they sucked, Fred seemed happy, however it goes there's not much we can do to change it anyway. It's obvious that the technical solutions at RedBull work very well if applied the same at Aston Martin they brought that car up to fight for wins.

On the other hand it really shows that Merc challenges aren't due to a less powerful engine but their concept is just bad.