2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

f1rules wrote:
03 Mar 2023, 19:39
Something to consider, mclaren compared to rb and fer run a much bigger rearwing, now if thats because of the imballance issues they mentioned or lack of df from the floor i dont know
Most probably general lack of downforce in comparison to them… It’s also a matter of protecting the tires in what is a very high degradation circuit. The rear wing didn’t look that big to me compared to others:

geogate
geogate

I wouldnt be worried about Oscar. He is a methodical type. he will be learning the limits and wont be too bothered about stringing it all together until it matters. Id like him to be half a second off Lando, which would be a very good result if he can get there

organic

If Oscar too can't get up to speed then Lando is simply an extreme talent, more than anyone realized

But I fully expect Piastri will be there or thereabouts within 5 races. He's a rookie, accordingly cheap contract-wise, and his performance won't be amazing immediately. Being within 2 tenths of Lando in qualifying consistently would be a good performance imo
Last edited by organic on 03 Mar 2023, 20:41, edited 1 time in total.

billamend
billamend

organic wrote:
03 Mar 2023, 20:32
If Oscar too can't get up to speed then Lando is simply an extreme talent, more than anyone realized
Which i believe he is. It’s no coincidence that Max chose him and Alonso for his ideal team.

But regardless, Piastri deserves a full year of being slightly off pace. Give him time.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Anyone see Lando's fastest FP2 lap?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Emag
Emag

Ground Effect wrote:
03 Mar 2023, 20:42
I think someone mentioned that Lando had some issues during his quali sim so they might have a bit more than what was shown today in FP2.

I couldn't follow the sessions though, so I don't know what to tell you.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Ground Effect wrote:
I will go back, check and report back :)

On the mean time, this shows how much each driver left on the table (fastest mini sectors vs fastest lap).

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Ground Effect wrote:
After watching the lap, a few comments:

His outlap was slow, I couldn’t understand exactly what happened but in the middle of the outlap he was asked to Pit and afterwards decided to go for a time lap… Wouldn’t be surprised if the tires weren’t in the right operating temperature.

During the lap, he had a moment in Turn 9 and after the lap complained about “surges”… Trying to get telemetry for the lap to see what it shows

PhillipM
PhillipM

SmallSoldier wrote:
03 Mar 2023, 21:07

His outlap was slow, I couldn’t understand exactly what happened but in the middle of the outlap he was asked to Pit and afterwards decided to go for a time lap… Wouldn’t be surprised if the tires weren’t in the right operating temperature.
not sure if it was that lap or not but one of the runs he locked the tyres in the pits avoiding another car and put a slight flatspot on his front right tyre, might have been that.

Still, good to see we're at the back of the grid fighting Williams like half the pundits and forum were saying, right? Oh :wink:
Last edited by PhillipM on 03 Mar 2023, 21:11, edited 1 time in total.

Macklaren
Macklaren

He also had to abort his first fast lap run because he was distracted by an AT coming out of the pits and went long into T1

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

PhillipM wrote:
03 Mar 2023, 21:11
SmallSoldier wrote:
03 Mar 2023, 21:07

not sure if it was that lap or not but one of the runs he locked the tyres in the pits avoiding another car and put a slight flatspot on his front right tyre, might have been that.
Yes, that’s the lap where Nyck was released and Lando has a small lock to avoid him in the pits… There wasn’t anything particular in the lap that looked “bad”… The moment in Turn 9 (same spot where Piastri and Sainz spun), compromised entry into T10 and he had to make a few adjustments, probably losing a bit of time there.

Macklaren
Macklaren

PhillipM wrote:
03 Mar 2023, 21:11

Still, good to see we're at the back of the grid fighting Williams like half the pundits and forum were saying, right? Oh :wink:
Formula1.com "analysis" of FP2 data still has Mclaren 8th on Quali pace and 6th on race pace :wtf:

Slahinki
Slahinki

Looking forward to qualifying tomorrow, everything is looking pretty decent so far.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Thanks, for the info, looking forward to tomorrow
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.