2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Darth-Piekus

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

I will say it again. I want the Baku B car to give the team such a huge leap to the top 3 so I can watch some here eat their own words.

haza
haza

About where I thought Mac would be slap bang in the middle, happy with P11 from lando what shocked me was how small the gap is from P1 to P20 if any team brings a substantial update that works this year they could make a huge leap (AMR for example), with the Baku update in mind I’m not expecting a leap big enough to break through the top 3-4 (though never say never) at the least I think McLaren can be top of midfield by summer

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

mwillems wrote:
04 Mar 2023, 19:50
101FlyingDutchman wrote:
04 Mar 2023, 19:48
I’m mildly okay with what we’ve seen. Bahrain being a low point last year, the car is definitely faster. I think the downforce produced is coming with too big a drag penalty. If we can become more efficient (hinting: breakthrough with Baku development direction) then we should have a much better car. Still, we need to out develop by some margin to regain momentum into 2024
Snap, you beat me to it.
Just being realistic. I’d like to give the current team a chance to push forward once all the tools are in place for them to do so. But they need to show this year they can as there is no more hiding.
I’m sure Zak is very much looking at it with a ruthless gaze. There is no emotion in the pursuit of wins. Perform and adept or change.

Let’s all will them forward.

This season it’s fine margins that make a huge difference. Gap to pole compared to last year has stayed the same.

McG

What a shitshow.
Finally, everyone knows that Red Bull is a joke and Max Verstappen is overrated.

Shader

McG wrote:
04 Mar 2023, 20:43
What a shitshow.

Ben1980
Ben1980

McG wrote:
What a shitshow.
What a pointless post.

McG

Ben1980 wrote:
04 Mar 2023, 20:58
McG wrote:
What a shitshow.
What a pointless post.
Ok then explain how 11th and 18 isn't.

You can't. No one can.
Finally, everyone knows that Red Bull is a joke and Max Verstappen is overrated.

Mostlyeels
Mostlyeels

bauc wrote:
04 Mar 2023, 19:14
Great effort by Lando to put that car on P11, for Oscar its normal it is his first qualy in a difficult car so I cant judge him.
Yep, I think the difference showed between veteran and rookie drivers in the final runs (for all teams), where the veterans pulled something extra out of the bag. My thought process for Piastri has always been it'll take 5-6 races for him to start really getting to grips with the car (I look at Perez, a much more experienced driver, taking about that long to get to grips with the RB).

Ben1980
Ben1980

McG wrote:
04 Mar 2023, 21:09
Ben1980 wrote:
McG wrote:
What a shitshow.
What a pointless post.

You can't. No one can.
Because the team made the decision to go down a different route. Meaning this car isn't necessarily how they want it.

Does that nake it a shitshow. Nope, not in my book.

But I'm not generally one for stupid overreaction after one qualifying session out of a 23 race season.

But I'm not an ex fan.

bauc

Mostlyeels wrote:
04 Mar 2023, 21:15
bauc wrote:
04 Mar 2023, 19:14
Great effort by Lando to put that car on P11, for Oscar its normal it is his first qualy in a difficult car so I cant judge him.
Yep, I think the difference showed between veteran and rookie drivers in the final runs (for all teams), where the veterans pulled something extra out of the bag. My thought process for Piastri has always been it'll take 5-6 races for him to start really getting to grips with the car (I look at Perez, a much more experienced driver, taking about that long to get to grips with the RB).
Agreed!
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Darth-Piekus

If it makes some people feeling better they can all the current car a shitshow but it is an abandoned project. On another note I will enjoy seeing all of them eating their own words and coming here apologising when the Baku B Car gives the team a huge leap to near the front.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Guys you are overhyping Baku upgrade. You will be disappointed if you expect a big jump.

I'd love one but usually it does not happen.

P11 on a tough weekend is not bad.

swifteddie1
swifteddie1

Darth-Piekus wrote:
04 Mar 2023, 19:50
I will say it again. I want the Baku B car to give the team such a huge leap to the top 3 so I can watch some here eat their own words.
I think we need to temper expectations on this Baku upgrade. The gap in Q2 to Alonso was 0.7 seconds. Do you really expect the upgrade to bring about a second in lap time? Because its going to take at least that because i do not imagine the other teams will not make improvements over the next two months.

It nice to see that we are not dead last and are in the lower half of the midfield, but its still quite a big gap all things considered.

Hoping the team can maximize the current package and maybe get a point or two there in the opening races but I fear it will become apparent that we need to focus on 2024 sooner rather than later.
Last edited by swifteddie1 on 04 Mar 2023, 21:42, edited 1 time in total.

McG

Ben1980 wrote:
04 Mar 2023, 21:18
McG wrote:
04 Mar 2023, 21:09
Ben1980 wrote:

What a pointless post.

You can't. No one can.
Because the team made the decision to go down a different route. Meaning this car isn't necessarily how they want it.

Does that nake it a shitshow. Nope, not in my book.

But I'm not generally one for stupid overreaction after one qualifying session out of a 23 race season.

But I'm not an ex fan.
A team is only as good as its previous and current performance. Anything about the future isn't a given. Putting hope in that is what being a supporter and a fan is about but that should come along with being realistic about now. Otherwise it's faith. Tell me you have faith and watch me tear apart the whole concept of it.

PS you failed.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Quick Telemetry Analysis comparing the MCL60 and the MCL36… This time in Qualifying with the cars not hiding anything, of course usual caveats always apply in this type of comparisons, since Track Temperature, Wind (speed and direction) and Track Evolution are a factor… But I believe there are still some insights we can get from looking at it.

MCL60: Orange Trace
MCL36: White Trace

First a look at mini sectors during the lap to get a quick overview on where each car had an edge:

The results are as expected, the MCL60 has less drag than the MCL36 and is faster in the second half of the straights, difficult to tell if it’s only because of drag reduction or if improvements in the Mercedes PU play a larger factor.

On the main straight the MCL60 reaches 321 km/h while the MCL36 was capped at 313 km/h, a 7 km/h delta versus last year… But we do have the effect of the DRS that impacts the numbers and therefore a better section of the track to look at drag difference is in the last straight, here the MCL36 reaches a top speed of 287 km / h and at that point the MCL60 reaches 294 km/h, even though is the same delta as the main straight, interestingly the MCL60 maintains that Top Speed for longer, by the time Lando applies the brakes on the MCL60 it is still at 294km/h while the MCL36 was at 274km/h.

It is interesting also that even when the MCL60 is overall faster through the corners with higher minimum speeds (with the exception of T13) but the MCL36 has better corner exit out of them… This could be attributed also to a difference in the driving style needed for each car and torque / deployment strategies in the PU… What is clear is that Lando is capable of braking later in almost every braking zone and even though throttle application was slightly earlier in the MCL36, the difference is marginal.

Looking a bit into the difference in lap delta between the 2, it seems that Lando left at least 4 tenths on the table… Apparently he had an small mistake at the exit of T2 (forcing him to lift and correct), which cost him 2 tenths on the run to T4 and he also lost 2 tenths in the last corner, where he may have had too much braking input, extending his braking zone too deep and going through the corner 16km/h slower than in 2022

Overall the MCL60 is indeed an improvement over the MCL36 and arguably Lando missed Q3 due to a couple of mistakes more than just lack of pace from the car… But that’s easy to say sitting behind a keyboard :)