2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
SoulPancake13
SoulPancake13

Re: 2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Correlational issues make me very worried. I thought the engineers said that everything looked according to plan... I guess the front wing not producing enough DF really hampered the car? Anyways, still a lot of potential in the car but that needs to be sorted out as soon as possible.

chrisc90

Was the car run with the reported 30bhp increase they sorted over winter?

Andi76
Andi76

SoulPancake13 wrote:
04 Mar 2023, 21:29
Correlational issues make me very worried. I thought the engineers said that everything looked according to plan... I guess the front wing not producing enough DF really hampered the car? Anyways, still a lot of potential in the car but that needs to be sorted out as soon as possible.
There are no correlation issues. In fact, it's pretty good. I think they left a few options open with the SF-23 and only finalized certain things after the tests. So the first two GPs will be difficult, but I think the SF-23 will make a big leap at the third race. Not for nothing they were very confident after the tests and also today you could notice that they are extremely satisfied! You certainly wouldn't be if you were a good bit behind Red Bull with no prospect of a big leap forward.

SoulPancake13
SoulPancake13

formu1a.uno is saying otherwise

Ferrari didn't come to Bahrain to win,but with an objective that was to maximize the result of this race because, as Vasseur put it, "the world championship cannot be won in Bahrain" . A progmatic and conservative approach, the result of a car that is not showing the same performance on the track as seen at the Maranello simulator . The front is missing and at least four tenths, at least in Bahrain.
Author is not Duchessa but @SmilexTech, however the latter is still quite reliable.

link to the full article: https://www.formu1a.uno/ecco-perche-in- ... in-difesa/

Vanja #66

SoulPancake13 wrote:
04 Mar 2023, 21:46
formu1a.uno is saying otherwise

Ferrari didn't come to Bahrain to win,but with an objective that was to maximize the result of this race because, as Vasseur put it, "the world championship cannot be won in Bahrain" . A progmatic and conservative approach, the result of a car that is not showing the same performance on the track as seen at the Maranello simulator . The front is missing and at least four tenths, at least in Bahrain.
Author is not Duchessa but @SmilexTech, however the latter is still quite reliable.

link to the full article: https://www.formu1a.uno/ecco-perche-in- ... in-difesa/
What they call correlation is likely not really correlation as we know from before, but rather combined effects:

viewtopic.php?p=1119905#p1119905
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

JPower
JPower

Honestly, I find it pretty incredible that the car has changed as much as it has in terms of philosophy and behavior while visually being an evolution of the F1-75.

Vanja #66

JPower wrote:
04 Mar 2023, 23:16
Honestly, I find it pretty incredible that the car has changed as much as it has in terms of philosophy and behavior while visually being an evolution of the F1-75.
The biggest change with aero is the floor and how it behaves with ride height changes, this was a goal for all teams for sure. Sides, engine cover and few other details are drag reduction and refinement. Suspension is better coupled with floor and likely provides bigger range of setup options, as it was said to be one of the biggest goals.

Overall, it's easier to refine if you keep the core philosophy of flow structures unchanged, just as RB did. This leads to an impression of small refinement, while big changes can actually be made with aero efficiency. We shouldn't be delusional, single biggest drag reduction came from rear wing, but it can't be more than half of total improvement. The wing downforce "lost" is where the venturi tunnel floors come in and why they really are so amazing.

In a way, the car is an evolution, but the goals for the car have also evolved :) Today the Q session proved Ferrari are basically at least on par with RB regarding drag, which is a huge improvement if we consider where they were last year. With slightly more downforce, as was planned clearly, they would have been at least as fast as RB today. Any added downforce from wings will "hurt" both teams about the same in terms of drag, so it will all be about floor development and integration with suspension and very fine nuances of tyre treatment. This car is a far better base than F1-75 was and the team knows this, so everything they said during launch and preseason has been confirmed.

Reliability work needs to be shown and they will have to keep up with development all year (as they noted). If those two things turn out okish (not even absolute best in either is needed) the engineers will have done their part fully. So both drivers and operations dept. need to step up to the level of the car for the team to have a successful campaign.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

deadhead

Re: Ferrari SF23

jambuka wrote:
04 Mar 2023, 20:29
Is deg really that bad of Ferrari compared to the other 3? On race sim for leclerc seemed pretty good on softs atleast in FP2 and FP3
General consensus is that, yes, they aren't as good as AM or RBR, but we will see tomorrow. LEC had one solid run in FP2 so I think most hopes are pinned on that.

deadhead

f1316 wrote:
04 Mar 2023, 02:01
I’ll believe it when I see it for Ferrari not being there or thereabouts for pole - this reminds me of one of those Mercedes PR spins when they suddenly, miraculously, pulled out something from the bag (surprise surprise when the engine got turned up in quali).

Maybe it’s wishful thinking but I still have the sense that there’s significantly lower running of the PU than other teams, and while I think RB also a good margin there, I have a feeling Leclerc will come alive in Q3 and at least push them close.
There were indeed thereabouts :mrgreen:

LM10
LM10

Surely not bad… for: a heavily changed car with still an unoptimized setup due to lack of enough testing and an unplanned rear wing configuration and also some issues on the front end.

It will take time to see the true potential of the SF-23. Taking all those factors into consideration, I’m quite happy with the performance.

Another positive aspect: we’ve witnessed the first right strategic decision of the season! :)
Last edited by LM10 on 05 Mar 2023, 07:31, edited 1 time in total.

Andi76
Andi76

Re: Ferrari SF23

tpe wrote:
04 Mar 2023, 21:05
organic wrote:
04 Mar 2023, 20:39

Shiieiet.. :? Correlation issues?
This is the opposite of what all team members say to the press. Strange.
Absolutely. That doesn't fit. Also the confidence that the engineers exuded after the tests, the statements that the car behaves just like in the simulator and that they are very satisfied. The beaming faces today after qualifying. As I said before - I have the impression that the SF-23 is simply not "ready" yet and that they have deliberately left some room for maneuver and are sacrificing the first two races to take the decisive final step in the third race. Either that, or here some things do not fit together and one has consciously and purposefully wrongly informed, which is not inconceivable with Ferrari and it quite already happened that "the big bosses" instruct the formula 1 team to play theater. Whereby I would not understand the sense behind it. But that doesn't mean anything.

In general, however, you also have to say that the SF-23 is the second-fastest car and doesn't really lack much on Red Bull. So if there are correlation issues - they can't really be that big, but rather smaller ones.

F1NAC

LM10 wrote:
05 Mar 2023, 00:39

Another positive aspect: we’ve witnessed the first right strategic decision of the season! :)
We don’t know that yet.

wowgr8
wowgr8

AR3-GP wrote:
04 Mar 2023, 20:13
If you consider that Leclerc did not do the second run, and that Ferrari said the car was 1 second faster, then it's roughly correct.

What's interesting is that Ferrari had a larger portion of this improvement coming from the windtunnel. RB and Mercedes have more coming from just getting to the weight limit. Ferrari did a good job over the winter.
The engine seems more powerful than it was last year, but same applies to Mercedes, remember their engine was abysmal at the beginning of last year, all the Merc teams at the bottom of the speed traps.

f1316
f1316

deadhead wrote:
05 Mar 2023, 00:36
f1316 wrote:
04 Mar 2023, 02:01
I’ll believe it when I see it for Ferrari not being there or thereabouts for pole - this reminds me of one of those Mercedes PR spins when they suddenly, miraculously, pulled out something from the bag (surprise surprise when the engine got turned up in quali).

Maybe it’s wishful thinking but I still have the sense that there’s significantly lower running of the PU than other teams, and while I think RB also a good margin there, I have a feeling Leclerc will come alive in Q3 and at least push them close.
There were indeed thereabouts :mrgreen:
Exactly! And you know what else? I don’t believe that they’re especially worried about the Aston and that their real aim is fighting with RB for victory. Again, I’m not saying they’re going to win, but I think they think they’re competitive and are again playing down expectations.

From the long runs I saw, there was nothing particularly bad in terms of deg and I suspect - much like the rest of the sessions - the PU was turned down more than rivals. Lest we forget: they now must run the same mode in the race as in quali.