2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Zynerji

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

My belief.

McLaren is just way behind in the AI assisted software race.

AI generative design is a way to beat CFD rules, as it's "workstation" pre-crunching instead of the monitored CFD "server farm" crunching.

I've called Mercedes out as this being their hidden advantage for their dominant years.

Now text-to-3d AI is a SaaS.😏

geogate
geogate

there isnt any sugar coating where they are right now - but any sense of perspective seems to have been lost. Mercedes have just said they think they will abandon the launch philosophy as it just isnt working - Mclaren did that two to three months back. I dont argue a bit of talent in the aero dept would be good to have, but who could they get.

McFAN
McFAN

Andrea Stella interview

The main limitation that we have at the moment is aerodynamic downforce. Obviously we can improve the rate of development in the car by having better infrastructure, by having more workforce and this is why we are having the investments that are ongoing now at McLaren

However, I think that for the level of talent and availability we have at McLaren already, we can recover and we can outdevelop other teams because what we see in development right now is a very alive car in terms of development.

“There are some areas of the car that seem to be able to generate good downforce, like I’ve said already, they were not ready in time to be part of the launch spec.

“But this car will evolve pretty much race-by-race, with some major upgrades that will come, the first one around race four.”

Full article.
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/stell ... 39934/amp/

Darth-Piekus

Geogate that is a good question. Personally I would have given my all to get Andrian Newey back then build a dream team of aerodynamics around him with powerful names (Dan Fallows, Simone Resta, Matias Binotto, Pat Fry, Mike Coughlan etc etc). And before someone dismiss it as something impossible let me remind that with a new challenge for him and a good amount of money everything is possible.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Darth-Piekus wrote:
05 Mar 2023, 16:01
Geogate that is a good question. Personally I would have given my all to get Andrian Newey back then build a dream team of aerodynamics around him with powerful names (Dan Fallows, Simone Resta, Matias Binotto, Pat Fry, Mike Coughlan etc etc). And before someone dismiss it as something impossible let me remind that with a new challenge for him and a good amount of money everything is possible.
All Adrian Newey needs is an environment that allows him be expressive and regular rules reset to keep him invested. He has all he needs in RBR. He left Williams because Patrick Head was blocking his progression. He left McLaren because Ron drove him to the brink of a nervous breakdown, plus a structure where leadership wasn't well defined enough. This year it was Lowe's car, then Oatley, then Newey, then Goss, Fry etc. He's been at Red Bull for nearly 20 years, turned down Ferrari multiple times, rejected a Renault approach a couple of years ago. He isn't leaving Red Bull, 3 or 4 potential successors have left the Red Bull family before him. Prodromou, Machin, Key, now Fallows. I do believe McLaren weren't aggressive enough with their hires, but forget about Newey, it's a non starter.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

KingHamilton01

Balalu wrote:
05 Mar 2023, 15:03
Serious question: who is responsible for the team's current situation (whatever it is)? Andreas Seidl or Andrea Stella?

Or is it even the actual "change" timeline that might have created this situation, with no one really to blame?

Seing a lot of McLaren fans stupidly asking for Binotto for TP across the internet.

I would personally pin this more on Seidl (or just his situation amid changing teams) than Stella. Stella deserves time.

I know they don't build the cars, but ultimately the buck stops with them. They have the last say in the team.
I totally agree with this stella deserves time, however I am concerned at the crossover point with our new windtunnel coming online and development of this season's car as didn't they say that the 2023 car wouldn't be developed using this and soely used for 2024 car development? it's clear team have been restricted in correlation from wind tunnel to car hence why we were behind last season and maybe an element again this season.

We obvioulsy need to see how drastic changes to the car are come baku to see if we are on a good trajectory from that race onwards, but I think it's becoming clearer that Aero and technical departments are short on expertise. Dan Fallow's is the one that got away for me and maybe he didn't want to come here at the time and then im not entirely sure why Pat fry left us at the time but he helped turn us around at the time.

Furthermore as the season develops and if our struggles continue I can imagine maybe even Zak Brown might face a tougher line of questioning as to the teams form.
McLaren Mercedes

Darth-Piekus

Ground Effect wrote:
05 Mar 2023, 16:12
All Adrian Newey needs is an environment that allows him be expressive and regular rules reset to keep him invested. He has all he needs in RBR. He left Williams because Patrick Head was blocking his progression. He left McLaren because Ron drove him to the brink of a nervous breakdown, plus a structure where leadership wasn't well defined enough. This year it was Lowe's car, then Oatley, then Newey, then Goss, Fry etc. He's been at Red Bull for nearly 20 years, turned down Ferrari multiple times, rejected a Renault approach a couple of years ago. He isn't leaving Red Bull, 3 or 4 potential successors have left the Red Bull family before him. Prodromou, Machin, Key, now Fallows. I do believe McLaren weren't aggressive enough with their hires, but forget about Newey, it's a non starter.
That is true but Mclaren has changed since then in terms of atmosphere and I believe he would have fared much better now as he would have all he needed to work here.

zeroday

Very demoralizing for McLaren. I remember last year in pre-season they and Ferrari were all the rage of potentially winning the championship. We shall see what happens with the upgrades.

zeroday

Ground Effect wrote:
All Adrian Newey ....He's been at Red Bull for nearly 20 years, turned down Ferrari multiple times
Correct me if i am wrong but i thought Newey was on the verge of signing with Ferrari and leaving Red Bull at least one time but he felt slighted when they sent some lower subordinate to sign the contract instead of sending some Ferrari top brass.

McFAN
McFAN

It's in the middle I guess. Not as good as we would all like but it's better than last place. Looking forward to the race, we have an opportunity to score points so that's my goal. Q3 was a stretch. I need about four and a half tenths. Our race pace is strong, better than our quali pace. Our car is better than people were saying in the media but we will see.

Lando Norris, McLaren

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

zeroday wrote:
05 Mar 2023, 16:44
Ground Effect wrote:
All Adrian Newey ....He's been at Red Bull for nearly 20 years, turned down Ferrari multiple times
Correct me if i am wrong but i thought Newey was on the verge of signing with Ferrari and leaving Red Bull at least one time but he felt slighted when they sent some lower subordinate to sign the contract instead of sending some Ferrari top brass.
The only thing I know he said regarding one of the approaches was that his kids were still young then, so it wasn't a good time. But I do know there have been multiple approaches, so your above reason could be for one ot those.
Last edited by Ground Effect on 05 Mar 2023, 17:12, edited 1 time in total.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

MrGapes

Something wrong with Lando's ers

Darth-Piekus

Is that why he is losing too many places?

Szabi1112
Szabi1112

It may be better if Norris DNF. We wouldnt have to watch him suffering :(

Darth-Piekus

Well such a bad race so far but let's see how it continues. That Baku B Car better be at least 8 tenths faster.