2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
organic

Re: 2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

AR3-GP wrote:
10 Mar 2023, 15:58
organic wrote:
10 Mar 2023, 15:38
A penalty at Saudi arabia would be a bad place to have it given on paper it would seem to be one of the car's best tracks, so very good news that the first units are saved
Last year when Verstappen had a good car (Spa) he mowed the whole field down.

Jeddah is full of overtaking opportunities.
Yes but I don't anticipate Ferrari having such a good car such that leclerc would be anywhere close to 1s clear of anyone else on race pace..

If they can delay an engine penalty for 10 races with this CE/ES then they can wait for spa which would be better than Saudi Arabia for overtaking and they can shoot for the win at SA whereas spa it will be trickier. If they predict that wins are not going to be common this year, it's not worth taking engine penalties where the car could be fighting for the lead

That's my logic anyway

Alonsismo
Alonsismo

wowgr8 wrote:
10 Mar 2023, 16:08
Vasseur leading a revolution
According to Leo Turrini, Fred Vasseur had the agreement of CEO Vigna to rebuild the entire Ferrari team.

"Fred is dismantling Binotto's team. Not only Sanchez, Rueda, Giacobazzi, but also other Binotto personalities will leave. It's a new era."
https://www.quotidiano.net/blog/turrini ... hez-5.7924

This is so incredibly risky in the budget cap era where there is no room for error. If they mess this up they've basically thrown in the towel until 2026. A good technical team is being dismantled and I'm struggling to see the positives, the F1-75 was fantastic until that foolish TD. Binotto also instilled confidence in the team, all these heads being chopped off will only lead to panic and disarray.
2009 is back

ferrari did something like that after michael, and the cars were pure ---

aleks_ader

Tho seems core of enginners still are on its positions. Could open gates for new youger people.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

ryaan2904
ryaan2904

Vanja #66 wrote:
09 Mar 2023, 20:18
ing. wrote:
09 Mar 2023, 18:03
Are you referring to the concept that worked so well that they almost got beat by Merc after they had to fix the floor, post TD? The concept that, after 3 days testing and 3 practice sessions they were still trying to find the proper set-up? The same concept used by Haas to have a stinker of a race? Early days yet—and hope to see an improvement—but doesn’t sound good to me.
Ok, debunking time, buckle up. The concept was clearly the best of the field right up to the political TD that was aimed at RB. The car was more than decent on tyres, was able to run very low whenever the track allowed for it and the only downside was slightly too much drag that allowed Max to win in Jeddah and Miami (along with Ferrari taking conservative setups for the race). Ferrari lost Barcelona, Monaco, Baku, Canada (because Leclerc's penalty prevented him from fighting for the win), France and Hungary due to engine trouble, strategy errors and driver error. That's 6 wins, which could have been at least 4 without technical DNFs. Engine performance and/or reliability were not related to the car concept.

The fact a rule change exposed their exploitation of the rules shows innovation. No car that won a WDC/WCC in the last 30-40 years wasn't at least somewhat in a gray area, while some were actually illegal. And why are you even taking Haas' race with a bad luck start for Hulk and bad qualy for Magnussen? Do you really find it representative? You know what, better take this as a rhetorical question...

ing. wrote:
Also, I’m not alone in saying it. Here’s Autosport’s take:
“While others have ploughed their own furrow – like Ferrari with its in-wash solution and Mercedes with its zero-pod idea – the evidence appears to be mounting that the best design for the 2022 rules era cars is what Red Bull has done.”
I'm not sure it's worth replying to you after this part, but what the heck, maybe this time you'll take a chance to learn something new. :) Autosport is a magazine for laymen, not even technical, let alone technical magazine with utmost integrity. They published jewels such as this

https://cdn-3.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... ODSARR.jpg

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferr ... 9/1399503/

I still remember how hard we were laughing here about this :lol:

ing. wrote:
Now, if they decided—like Aston Martin did last year—to go in a new development direction in-season (like Merc are doing) so as not to waste another year and the wind tunnel tells them a deeper undercut (like they did last year) is a big improvement, they won’t even be able to implement it because of the lower SIS location.
AM never went a new way mid-season mate, it's an evolution, pure and simple. Fallows is great at what he does and was able to guide the team in the right way. All the teams with tubs and waterslides copied from Ferrari. I feel you are leaving this out on purpose...

Lower SIS position is giving them an option to do whatever they want with the floor. Or do you think sidepod undercut is more important? Don't answer, another rhetorical... :)

Here's one more free lesson to wrap this up, Ferrari are using sidepods for big outwash, that's why their car was so predictable last year - no turbulence was entering the diffuser and messing up the floor performance. It still isn't, because of their innovative concept that no other team implemented in such a way on their launch car last year. AM did and it works brilliantly, doesn't it? It has as much to do with outwash undercut as it does with wide sides all the way to the rear, you can't just force the turbulence out, you need to keep it out with a literal wall. That's one of the reasons Williams and Mercedes didn't work so good last year.

AR3-GP wrote:
09 Mar 2023, 19:15
Clear is trying to say that Ferrari don't have a degradation problem when they run at the car's actual level (slower than RB). It's when the drivers overdrive to keep up with a faster car, that the tires degrade.

I somewhat disagree with Clear because the Ferrari is very quick on Saturday. F = ma, and you don't carry high minimum speeds in the high speed corners without having the downforce to sustain it. It just suggest the downforce is in the wrong place, so while you can compensate over 1 lap, you'll destroy the tire in a race.
That's pretty much what everyone can see from the lap charts, the car wasn't fast enough for the race.

viewtopic.php?p=1122041#p1122041

It's a problem of many factors, lack of downforce (wing setup compromise), lack of suspension setup time, lack of sufficient understanding of the car... As you said, Australia 2022 for RB was the same thing. There's also a thing that brought Ferrari 12 poles last year, the car is generating heat in the tyres quite quickly. They need to understand how to contain it during the race, it's not an unsolvable problem. Well, for Leclerc at least, not sure about Sainz...
Bro said it =D>
10/10 on this one Vanja
CFD Eyes of Sauron

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

This overhaul makes me nervous, I can’t lie. Ferrari’s idea of ‘stability’ seems to be 2 years - first to ‘grow’, second to ‘win’ or else, then start all over again.

The thing giving me hope is that Fred is well respected. He is good at what he does. Hopefully, as needed, we can bring some good people on board and also recognise people in the lower ranks who may have been stifled previously.

But, my god, it does not bode well for 2023. The head aerodynamicist is not the kind of mid-season casualty you want

Edit:
The other thing that I think is a positive, are reports that Charles will be favoured over Carlos and they will move the car in the direction of his requests.

I’ve been an equal-status apologist for a while but Sainz, as much as I do like him, is not as good as Charles. Race 1 of this season, and countless from last season, have proved this. Charles is the ‘star’ and should have been favoured from day 1.

mzso
mzso

JPBD1990 wrote:
11 Mar 2023, 02:20
The other thing that I think is a positive, are reports that Charles will be favoured over Carlos and they will move the car in the direction of his requests.

I’ve been an equal-status apologist for a while but Sainz, as much as I do like him, is not as good as Charles. Race 1 of this season, and countless from last season, have proved this. Charles is the ‘star’ and should have been favoured from day 1.
Why do you guys cry constantly for favoritism? Just go with the RB/Mercedes ways, treat them roughly equally, until one of them outclasses the other, which is usually the same driver.

And no need to delude yourself that the drivers has any substantial effect on how the car performs. Neither Verstappen, nor Hamilton liked last year's car behavior, they just kept driving it. Hamilton even cried to the press this week, that they didn't listen to him when he said their car's direction sucks. Which is no surprise, since he has zero understanding of the technical side...

Venturiation
Venturiation

JPBD1990 wrote:
11 Mar 2023, 02:20
This overhaul makes me nervous, I can’t lie. Ferrari’s idea of ‘stability’ seems to be 2 years - first to ‘grow’, second to ‘win’ or else, then start all over again.

The thing giving me hope is that Fred is well respected. He is good at what he does. Hopefully, as needed, we can bring some good people on board and also recognise people in the lower ranks who may have been stifled previously.

But, my god, it does not bode well for 2023. The head aerodynamicist is not the kind of mid-season casualty you want

Edit:

sainz should be the priority because he is way ahead in the championship
charles has 0 points

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

mzso wrote:
11 Mar 2023, 10:53

Why do you guys cry constantly for favoritism? Just go with the RB/Mercedes ways, treat them roughly equally, until one of them outclasses the other, which is usually the same driver.

And no need to delude yourself that the drivers has any substantial effect on how the car performs. Neither Verstappen, nor Hamilton liked last year's car behavior, they just kept driving it. Hamilton even cried to the press this week, that they didn't listen to him when he said their car's direction sucks. Which is no surprise, since he has zero understanding of the technical side...
This is voided by your own example. Verstappen didn’t like his car at the beginning of last season because of excessive understeer. This suited Checo, and they were much closer. As redbull resolved that through the season, max excelled and Checo fell away. Charles likes a sharp front end and doesn’t mind and oversteery car. Sainz does not, hence last season began miles away from Charles.

Look at Ricciardo and Lando in the McLaren. Look at Albon and Latifi in the Williams.

Cars can absolutely favour one drivers style over another’s. And, if the team has the capacity to move the car in the direction of a certain drivers preference, preferably the stronger driver, then they should.

I’m not suggesting the driver determines anything in terms of car concept. I know the team would simulate and build whatever is the absolute most downforce, etc, on paper that they can. But once it’s on track, the drivers influence absolutely makes a difference.

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

Leclerc allegedly requesting to meet with Elkann after Bahrain. If Ferrari lose Leclerc they better hope they can get Hamilton or someone with some buzz in or else we’re looking at some long years in obscurity to follow. The ‘drive to survive’ era fans don’t care about Ferrari’s history, they care about the narrative that was created by the media about who is ‘the best’. We’ve got one currently, but for how much longer?

LM10
LM10

Venturiation wrote:
11 Mar 2023, 13:17
charles has 0 points
Proof of you being a troll.

Polite
Polite

FDD wrote:
11 Mar 2023, 11:34
mzso wrote:
11 Mar 2023, 10:45
Venturiation wrote:
11 Mar 2023, 00:22
this wasn't a loophole

it is illegal to have a flexing plank, but only the front was tested
just because it wasn't tested in that zone , it was still illegal

if you burn a red light it's illegal if the cop sees you or not

the issue is that ferrari might have relied completly on this plank trick and rumors during that time said that it hurt them bad to make the 2023 car

this new era is very boring and since we only have 2 years after this one everyone will just copy redbull and RB will dominate until 2026 unless fia intervenes like they did with mercedes multiple times to slow them down
This is kind of Ferrari's vibe recently. Enjoy a leap for a while via illegal means, then fall apart when its taken away. Interestingly the fuel/ERS trickery was also under Binotto's lead, when he was overseeing the engine department.
BTW FIA never find any evidence on illegality on Ferrari engine!!!

Maybe, this time it won't take three years to pull themselves together...
MERC also was illegal with oil burning
As Gordon M. said you have to read the rule book until you find loopholes and he was maybe the best one for that, for example Brabhem fan-car which was never banned and it is the only car with 100% effectiveness :)
BTW FIA never prove any illegality on Ferrari ICE!!!
and RBr with the BC last year also :D

Venturiation
Venturiation

LM10 wrote:
11 Mar 2023, 14:20
Venturiation wrote:
charles has 0 points
No I'm just being realistic they have to favour the driver with most points like all teams do

I don't understand why so many wants sainz to be the second driver before the season even started
And anyway Ferrari isn't winning any title this year

LM10
LM10

Venturiation wrote:
11 Mar 2023, 14:51
LM10 wrote:
Venturiation wrote:
charles has 0 points
No I'm just being realistic they have to favour the driver with most points like all teams do

I don't understand why so many wants sainz to be the second driver before the season even started
You would have known that, if you had watched last season.

Venturiation
Venturiation

LM10 wrote:
11 Mar 2023, 15:36
Venturiation wrote:
11 Mar 2023, 14:51
LM10 wrote:

You would have known that, if you had watched last season.
he had trouble adapting to the car
we can say the same about 2021 sainz is better than charles

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

Now there are rumours that there is a rift between Vasseur and Vigna… after two whole months in the role. Apparently it is Elkann’s intention to have Vigna pull the strings and have Vasseur installed merely as a puppet. If so, I don’t see Fred sticking around long and… the whole situation stinks. Elkann seems to be the root of all evil…