2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Re: 2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Venturiation wrote:
13 Mar 2023, 19:24
why some are saying that ferrari should focus on next year? the rules are the same and they can upgrade the car the entire year no need to astop at any point even in abu dhabi
Is this you?

Venturiation wrote:
06 Mar 2023, 17:24
they need to change concept , the SF23 is a failure like the W14 they had similar pace and both were almost 1,5 second slower than redbull on race pace
Venturiation wrote:
06 Mar 2023, 17:47
codetower wrote:
06 Mar 2023, 17:39
Venturiation wrote:
they need to change concept , the SF23 is a failure like the W14 they had similar pace and both were almost 1,5 second slower than redbull on race pace
2nd fastest car on the grid is not a failure.
it's the 3rd fastest in race pace,
it is a failure when you stopped upgrading since july 2022 to focus on 2023
the car is the same qualifying looking closer and in the race destroying tyres, they had almost a year to fix that
and drivers still complain about bouncing when all teams have fixed it

jambuka
jambuka

LM10 wrote:
13 Mar 2023, 09:30
I can't remember any other recent season with so much overreaction after one race. It's always been a very well known thing that for a clear picture of the pecking order we have to wait 3-4 races. Especially with tracks like Melbourne and Bahrain being not so typical. Now we see everyone congratulating RedBull for both titles already after 1 of 23 races and even suggesting Leclerc to go to Aston Martin. :lol:

Ferrari have been massively compromised at Bahrain. It's a track where setup and balance problems are penalized even more. With the new generation cars things can rapidly turn into really bad with a wrong or not sorted out setup. Just remember Melbourne last season when Ferrari was excellent there and in the next race in Imola they suddenly were nothing like competitive. For RedBull it was the other way around.
RB was still competitive at Bahrain 22 before both DNF's. Verstappen was dueling with Charles. This season RB was miles ahead after lap 3. It's not the same as last season.

codetower

organic wrote:
13 Mar 2023, 14:42
Vigna took over GeS, leaving (only) the DS duties to Vasseur. These were not the initial plans. Elkann will have to step in directly to redefine the competencies. Only then, perhaps, could Mekies be persuaded to stay.
Ferrari discontent: the current structure is very fragile
https://www.formu1a.uno/malumori-ferrar ... o-fragile/

I don't know much about internal ferrari politics so won't comment
I don't know much either, but what is concerning to me are all these high level changes so early into the new regulations (one year in). Surely they team already has direction in place for 2024. With the current staff heading out, and having to wait for the new to settle in, how far will we be set back for 2024? The new head of Aero, new race director (assuming Mekkies leaves), and who knows who else, may want to change direction. Having to start over mid 2023 will be tough.

mzso
mzso

deadhead wrote:
12 Mar 2023, 06:15
jambuka wrote:
12 Mar 2023, 04:24
LEC needs to get out of Ferrari asap. He won't win WDC with Ferrari.
There is a good chance he might, but he does have a contract until 24 and … where would he actually go that would be a better prospect?
Red Bull.

FDD
FDD

Vanja #66 wrote:
13 Mar 2023, 16:02
organic wrote:
Vigna took over GeS, leaving (only) the DS duties to Vasseur. These were not the initial plans. Elkann will have to step in directly to redefine the competencies. Only then, perhaps, could Mekies be persuaded to stay.
Great, a theoretical physicist with former background in electronics engineering decided to run the show... #-o A petition must be made requiring him to step away from F1 team completely.
Luca Cordero di Montezemolo
"As a teenager he entered the Francesco Morosini Naval College in Venice , without however completing the three-year period, later he continued his studies at the classical high school of the Massimiliano Massimo Institute in Rome in the same years as Giancarlo Magalli and Mario Draghi . He graduated in Law at the University of Rome "La Sapienza" in 1971 and subsequently specialized in International Law at Columbia University in New York"
That is from the one side.
But when Luca was Ferrari president he he did not interfere in the work of the engineers, but Elkan is something else, very likely...
So You are right "A petition must be made requiring him to step away from F1 team completely."

LM10
LM10

jambuka wrote:
13 Mar 2023, 20:07
LM10 wrote:
I can't remember any other recent season with so much overreaction after one race. It's always been a very well known thing that for a clear picture of the pecking order we have to wait 3-4 races. Especially with tracks like Melbourne and Bahrain being not so typical. Now we see everyone congratulating RedBull for both titles already after 1 of 23 races and even suggesting Leclerc to go to Aston Martin. :lol:

Ferrari have been massively compromised at Bahrain. It's a track where setup and balance problems are penalized even more. With the new generation cars things can rapidly turn into really bad with a wrong or not sorted out setup. Just remember Melbourne last season when Ferrari was excellent there and in the next race in Imola they suddenly were nothing like competitive. For RedBull it was the other way around.
RB was still competitive at Bahrain 22 before both DNF's. Verstappen was dueling with Charles. This season RB was miles ahead after lap 3. It's not the same as last season.
It’s frustrating to write the same things all over again because people are not able to read all other posts.

I know RedBull was competitive in Bahrain last season. They were on top of things with their car. Ferrari wasn’t this season. That’s a significant difference.

chrisc90

It would seem that most of Ferrari's time over winter was to make the parts on the car as light and thin as possible, to the extent that they break or deform and become dangerous. Which does seem a little odd to try and cut more weight out when they were apparently on the weight limit last year.

scuderiabrandon

chrisc90 wrote:
13 Mar 2023, 21:34
It would seem that most of Ferrari's time over winter was to make the parts on the car as light and thin as possible, to the extent that they break or deform and become dangerous. Which does seem a little odd to try and cut more weight out when they were apparently on the weight limit last year.
It is very desirable for all to teams to be below the weight limit. They get to add weight ballast in more desirable areas e.g to lower CoG

mika vs michael
mika vs michael

Ferrari should have hired someone like Ross Brawn or an important member of a Championship winning team like Vowels or keep Binotto at least until 2025...a year before the new engine rules...If he proved to win a championship he could keep going or then get someone to build the new team for the new engine era.
"It is necessary to relax your muscles when you can. Relaxing your brain is fatal." Stirling Moss

I tried this and I had understeer, I tried that and I had oversteer, at the end of the corner I just run out of talent

f1316
f1316

It’s absolutely not true that you need domain expertise to be a CEO - in fact, by definition you’re always in charge of so many departments (finance, marketing, legal, usually some kind of ‘product’ etc) that you simply cannot be an expert in all of them directly.

However, it certainly is true that providing the domain experts the ability to do their jobs without micromanaging them is important. Vigna is likely feeling pressure to ensure the outcomes of the Ferrari F1 team are successful and it could be that his desire to ensure this is causing him to be too hands on, leading to negative results.

That said, I would take all these rumours following one bad race with a pinch of salt - who knows what’s actually happening internally. A lot of these sources are the same who claimed to have inside knowledge of facts about the Ferrari car which proved to be false, so they are certainly incentivised by getting clicks through salacious headlines.

Let’s say Ferrari wins the WEC race at Sebring this weekend, what does that mean for Vigna? There are other things to his job outside the F1 team and I’d be surprised by such a disproportionate response to one race tbh.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

It will be interesting to see what happens with the AF Corse 499 LMH program, and if it's anything like the political theater surrounding the F1 team. Could be proof that Vigna is too involved because previously AF Corse was a very successful independent team in the GTE category. Great strategy, great performances all around. I was concerned that Ferrari F1 team was going to poach AF Corse staff (depends how you view sportscars vs F1... :lol: ). If the wheels fall off now, then you would have to think the excessive meddling of road car leaders is the problem.

SoulPancake13
SoulPancake13

Vasseur with an important interview. I hope what he is saying is true although he doesn't seem to be the one to lie to the media so far.

https://www.autohebdo.fr/actualites/f1/ ... s.html/amp

Venturiation
Venturiation

AR3-GP wrote:
13 Mar 2023, 19:35
Venturiation wrote:
13 Mar 2023, 19:24
why some are saying that ferrari should focus on next year? the rules are the same and they can upgrade the car the entire year no need to astop at any point even in abu dhabi
Is this you?

Venturiation wrote:
Venturiation wrote:
06 Mar 2023, 17:47
codetower wrote:
06 Mar 2023, 17:39

2nd fastest car on the grid is not a failure.
it's the 3rd fastest in race pace,
it is a failure when you stopped upgrading since july 2022 to focus on 2023
the car is the same qualifying looking closer and in the race destroying tyres, they had almost a year to fix that
and drivers still complain about bouncing when all teams have fixed it
yes the car should be upgraded and fixed in 2023 because that will get carried to 2024
i don't see any contradiction
unlike the new 2023 rules in 2024 nothing changes and they need to fix everything fast

mzso
mzso

organic wrote:

Ferrari discontent: the current structure is very fragile
https://www.formu1a.uno/malumori-ferrar ... o-fragile/

I don't know much about internal ferrari politics so won't comment
WTF is GeS and DS?

mzso
mzso

LM10 wrote:
I can't remember any other recent season with so much overreaction after one race.
Well, last year Leclerc was proclaimed champion by a bunch of people after the first couple races.