2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mzso
mzso

Re: 2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

If this is how Ferrari performs on a track that "suits them", it will be a super boring year championship-wise.

organic

mzso wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 01:23
If this is how Ferrari performs on a track that "suits them", it will be a super boring year championship-wise.
With new FW/RW they do much better in the slow stuff which was the critical weakness at Bahrain (although sure they pay that back in straightline speed now), and they didn't set up for quali at all here knowing charles will have grid drop. Let's see come tomorrow the pace
Last edited by organic on 19 Mar 2023, 01:25, edited 1 time in total.

Vinlarr89
Vinlarr89

That absoloute top end issue will hardly affect many tracks as few are at 100% throttle as much as Jeddah.
I doubt at race pace the difference will be significant.

I do think there’s room for better development this year than last, however the overall red bull package looks very effective.

Despite a lot of noise about FR needing to adopt RB side pod and aero I actually don’t think that is the issue in all of this.

Positives so far this weekend
Car seems better balanced at least in leclercs hands
Good top speed and DF against all cars apart from RB clearly ahead still
Front still has room for improvement
Rear wing stable and has clearly increased traction on the high and medium speed corners

Think the floor has more to come in the future, still looks very basic compared to others

DoctorRadio
DoctorRadio

AR3-GP wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 00:24
AR3-GP wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 00:23
Vanja #66 wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 00:12
Looking at how the car performed with new RW, I'm glad it wasn't raced in Bahrain. With Leclerc closer to RB in the race, maybe even keeping P2, the DNF would have hurt a lot more... :lol:
Interesting perspective :lol: . I'm going to disagree. DNF hurts less if the car is fast.

Anyway, I saw this posted. I think that maybe top speed isn't the issue per-say. It looks more like the Honda doesn't run out of battery on the 3rd straight, whereas everyone else does:

The ferrari is competitive on the first straight with DRS. So the difference would have to come from running out of battery.

What you say implies that the PU on the last straight runs out of ERS, it’s true for them all as you see the speed trace go down just before braking (more so for AM than Ferrari and Honda); Ferrari looks more competitive on the main straight because it’s shorter, on the last one the more drag Ferrari carries does more damage because the straight is quite a bit longer, so the speed differential between the cars increases and has nothing to do with derating/clipping, only different aero set ups.
Then AM goes into clipping a bit before the others because they have more drag and less ERS available because of this, nowadays the PUs are generally quite close to each other, with Ferrari slightly in front apparently.
The red bull is a monster of efficiency and the whole package benefits from this.

LM10
LM10

Vanja #66 wrote:
18 Mar 2023, 23:02
LM10 wrote:
18 Mar 2023, 21:26
Better battery for sure.
Maybe the CE is the limiting factor, with the recent troubles? Just guessing...

Last year the car was -12kmh on the main straight and -8kmh on the back. This year -2kmh on the main straight and -6kmh on the back... That would mean different harvesting/deployment strategy...

https://i.ibb.co/wN91BHN/jeddah-q-22-23.jpg

They failed my top speed prediction on deployment strategy change?!?

https://media.tenor.com/np49Y1vrJO8AAAAM/crying-cry.gif

:mrgreen:
The CE being the limited factor sounds like a possibility as well, you're right. Might they have gone a tad conservative with the deployment strategy due to the recent troubles? Or more aggressive deployment in the first two sectors of the lap. If this actually was the case, it begs the question why they might have done that compared to last year.

Your top speed prediction was plausible in my opinion. :) And I'm actually surprised that between the very safe mode they were in FP1 and the qualifying mode the top speed difference was only 3 km/h. Isn't that strange?

Looking at the telemetry you posted it looks like the SF-23 actually was at least equally fast or faster than the F1-75 in every corner. Also the braking of the SF-23 is better. Same can be said comparing the SF-23 to the RB19 in the hands of Perez looking at the telemetry. The SF-23 was at least equally fast in all corners except the T22 where it had problems all weekend. There it's apparent that the RB19 was miles ahead and made a big chunk of the time compared to the SF-23 in the last sector.

The car was much more balanced than in Bahrain, but there is still some work to do. I'm sure alone from setup work there is more time left in the car. It's still understeery on the front (as a side note I would have not expected the difference between Leclerc and Sainz being that big considering the understeer which Leclerc does not like) so that's what they should and surely will focus on in the next races.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Spoutnik wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 14:54
The rear tire is "weaker" this year. That goes for everyone.

Xyz22
Xyz22

Not entirely surprised by this result. RB top speed in Bahrain was scary when you factor in how loaded the rear wing was.
In fact, in this track they were in a different league in quali already. Max had 0.2 / 0.3 on Perez easily.

dialtone
dialtone

I thought this was pretty funny

FDD
FDD

LM10 wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 12:13
Vanja #66 wrote:
18 Mar 2023, 23:02
LM10 wrote:
18 Mar 2023, 21:26
Better battery for sure.
Maybe the CE is the limiting factor, with the recent troubles? Just guessing...

Last year the car was -12kmh on the main straight and -8kmh on the back. This year -2kmh on the main straight and -6kmh on the back... That would mean different harvesting/deployment strategy...

https://i.ibb.co/wN91BHN/jeddah-q-22-23.jpg

They failed my top speed prediction on deployment strategy change?!?

https://media.tenor.com/np49Y1vrJO8AAAAM/crying-cry.gif

:mrgreen:
The CE being the limited factor sounds like a possibility as well, you're right. Might they have gone a tad conservative with the deployment strategy due to the recent troubles? Or more aggressive deployment in the first two sectors of the lap. If this actually was the case, it begs the question why they might have done that compared to last year.

Your top speed prediction was plausible in my opinion. :) And I'm actually surprised that between the very safe mode they were in FP1 and the qualifying mode the top speed difference was only 3 km/h. Isn't that strange?

Looking at the telemetry you posted it looks like the SF-23 actually was at least equally fast or faster than the F1-75 in every corner. Also the braking of the SF-23 is better. Same can be said comparing the SF-23 to the RB19 in the hands of Perez looking at the telemetry. The SF-23 was at least equally fast in all corners except the T22 where it had problems all weekend. There it's apparent that the RB19 was miles ahead and made a big chunk of the time compared to the SF-23 in the last sector.

The car was much more balanced than in Bahrain, but there is still some work to do. I'm sure alone from setup work there is more time left in the car. It's still understeery on the front (as a side note I would have not expected the difference between Leclerc and Sainz being that big considering the understeer which Leclerc does not like) so that's what they should and surely will focus on in the next races.
I do not have data on top speed, but if the difference is only 3 km/h, yes that is strange.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

dialtone wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 17:34

I thought this was pretty funny
They are not the only team it looks like #-o

Congrats Fernando? :wink:

Vanja #66

FDD wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 17:39
I do not have data on top speed, but if the difference is only 3 km/h, yes that is strange.
Here's FP1, +11 at main straight

And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Xyz22
Xyz22

In race trim the difference compared to the RB is unreal.
I think the car is currently way slower than the F1 75.

Sevach
Sevach

Embarassing performance.

ing.

Sevach wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 20:00
Embarassing performance.
4th best car. Almost 2 seconds off the RBs for a few laps.
Last edited by ing. on 19 Mar 2023, 20:07, edited 1 time in total.