2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Darth-Piekus wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 19:56
The car in 2020 had one of the best top speeds and the best in high speed corners. These last two years they tried to fix its mediums and slow speed corners but made it slow in straights cause they lost downforce. Its clear something went wrong which they will correct. All we hope is that update fixes the drag problem by adding all that lost downforce which is what makes the car lose a huge amount of time. That is why I hope the new floor will make a good difference as it will corellate with both wings but the car needs 1 second at least if the team wants to say that they can touch the top teams.
The Baku update is for the midfield top end battle, all the gains won’t come at once. Anything extra will come with further updates. I think you should reduce your expectations for the Baku upgrade.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

chrisgr
chrisgr

De vries doesn't have drs now. But Norris is unable to get passed him for many laps and he is on mediums. Our race pace is surely not good today. I dont know if they still nursing the tires.

MrGapes

yep pretty much impossible to overtake, we only gain 1-2 tenths with drs

Swed3121
Swed3121

Just sad at this point, can’t even keep pace with an alpahtauri on a slower tire

Darth-Piekus

What would you consider top end of the midfield? At the moment Red Bull and Aston Martin is at a pace of their own and Mercedes a little back. Then Ferrari seems to be the top end of the midfield.Are we targeting Ferrari? Unless you are in the top 3 you are midfield.
Last edited by Darth-Piekus on 19 Mar 2023, 20:03, edited 1 time in total.

Swed3121
Swed3121

Darth-Piekus wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 20:03
What would you consider top end of the midfield? At the moment Red Bull and Aston Martin is at a pace of their own and Mercedes a little back. Then Ferrari seems to be the top end of the midfield.Are we targeting Ferrari?
At this point, try targeting Williams and haas before you try anything more

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Darth-Piekus wrote:
What would you consider top end of the midfield? At the moment Red Bull and Aston Martin is at a pace of their own and Mercedes a little back. Then Ferrari seems to be the top end of the midfield.Are we targeting Ferrari? Unless you are in the top 3 you are midfield.
Top end is fighting for P4, irrespective of who’s there. Stella said they want to challenge the other group by season’s end.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?

Slahinki
Slahinki

Swed3121 wrote:
Darth-Piekus wrote:
What would you consider top end of the midfield? At the moment Red Bull and Aston Martin is at a pace of their own and Mercedes a little back. Then Ferrari seems to be the top end of the midfield.Are we targeting Ferrari?
At this point, try targeting Williams and haas before you try anything more
If not for the mistake in qualifying and the contact on lap 1, and it's ramifications for Norris, we would already be well ahead of both Williams and Haas.
Last edited by Slahinki on 19 Mar 2023, 20:07, edited 1 time in total.

Darth-Piekus

Its clear that the current car is an abandoned project mid winter and that shows So I am pitting my hopes to the new direction. It has to give a good amount of time otherwise the season will be a failure. To challenge the top 3 by seasons end you have to gain more than a second compared to the big 3..

Swed3121
Swed3121

Darth-Piekus wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 20:07
Its clear that the current car is an abandoned project mid winter and that shows So I am pitting my hopes to the new direction. It has to give a good amount of time otherwise the season will be a failure. To challenge the top 3 by seasons end you have to gain more than a second compared to the big 3..
Really not sure why you keep spouting about top 3. let’s focus on just steady improving rather than continuously hoping for a AMR type jump and then being constantly disappointed

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Darth-Piekus wrote:
Whether that’s possible or not remains to be seen. But what’s certain is, even it is, it won’t come with a single upgrade. So tone down expectations with the Baku upgrade.

Szabi1112
Szabi1112

Ground Effect wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 19:59
Darth-Piekus wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 19:56
The car in 2020 had one of the best top speeds and the best in high speed corners. These last two years they tried to fix its mediums and slow speed corners but made it slow in straights cause they lost downforce. Its clear something went wrong which they will correct. All we hope is that update fixes the drag problem by adding all that lost downforce which is what makes the car lose a huge amount of time. That is why I hope the new floor will make a good difference as it will corellate with both wings but the car needs 1 second at least if the team wants to say that they can touch the top teams.
The Baku update is for the midfield top end battle, all the gains won’t come at once. Anything extra will come with further updates. I think you should reduce your expectations for the Baku upgrade.
Exactly. Who knows that updates will work? I have concern about it.

Ben1980
Ben1980

Medium tyres seem no quicker than hard.

Swed3121
Swed3121

As usual nobody seems to be able to get pst the Williams so looks like this is where we’re staying

Xero

Darth-Piekus wrote:
Again, they haven't abandoned anything. It's a new floor, that's it. There's no new direction, don't expect any miracles.