2023 Saudi Arabian Grand Prix - Jeddah, March 17 - 19

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
CHT
CHT

Re: 2023 Saudi Arabian Grand Prix - Jeddah, March 17 - 19

ringo wrote:
20 Mar 2023, 01:34
A big story for me for this is race is Perez vs Max.
Can Perez make this year exciting and fight for the title.
We saw where redbull gave him a time delta just to bring Max into play. He was told to do 36.6's and smartly Perez asked why the team want him to slow down, then he asked ehat times is Max doing. Team told him 36.4's.
So perez rightfully asked why are they doing that?!
It's great that Perez has a racing braing and is smart enough to know when the team are trying to prioritize Max over him.
It was a low point from the team. It's clear they still want him to play #2 and not challenge Max.
But with the other cars so far away, we will be seeing Perez and Max on the front row for many races and Max will have to focus more on being quicker over the race distance to stay ahead. The team will also need to sharpen up their reliability to give both cars a fair fighting chance to win. Now it seems Perez has the luckier chassis.

Perez has been in F1 for a long time and prior to joining RBR there was very little talk about Perez becoming WDC. Saudi Arabia will perhaps be Perez's best for the season in terms of qualifying like he did last year and my money is on max to be the quicker driver in qualifying as well as the championship this year.

Max is a young and ruthless competitor, just like any other WDC that came before him, all demand to be treated as No.1, and some may even dictate who should be his teammate.

KimiRai
KimiRai

organic wrote:
20 Mar 2023, 01:11
zeph wrote:
20 Mar 2023, 01:10
I'm pleasantly surprised by Logan Sargeant, too soon to tell if he's made of the stuff of legends, but he looks like he belongs in F1.

As this is supposed to be a low-downforce track I'm not surprised to see Mercedes do a bit better, but I expected Ferrari to be ahead of them. Strange.

I still don't understand what happened to Stroll, brake failure? Glad to see Alonso doing well, though! I'd love to see him fighting for (or better yet, winning) the title, but in lieu of that I'll happily take podiums. Here's hoping AM can give RBR a headache on low-speed high-DF tracks!

Taking drivers from Renault/Alpine doesn't seem to do wonders for McLaren so far...
Smoke was coming out of the rear when the camera was looking rearwards on Stroll's onboard
Stroll retired due to energy recovery issues according to Pedro de la Rosa.

chrisc90

All being ‘normal’ this weekend and max being on the front row, what do people think he would have pulled on the others race pace wise? I heard F1TV boys saying the RB’s were a second ahead of Alonso and that was with Max coming through the field.

At the minute, I’d say the RB is a easy second faster than anyone else in race trim.

Dee
Dee

ringo wrote:
We saw where redbull gave him a time delta just to bring Max into play. He was told to do 36.6's and smartly Perez asked why the team want him to slow down, then he asked ehat times is Max doing. Team told him 36.4's.
It's great that Perez has a racing braing and is smart enough to know when the team are trying to prioritize Max over him.
It was a low point from the team. It's clear they still want him to play #2 and not challenge Max.
But with the other cars so far away, we will be seeing Perez and Max on the front row for many races and Max will have to focus more on being quicker over the race distance to stay ahead. The team will also need to sharpen up their reliability to give both cars a fair fighting chance to win. Now it seems Perez has the luckier chassis.
RB told him to do 36.0 plus four, they told Max the same exact thing. Max didn't listen and they then said to Perez that he could push. RB did nothing wrong or nothing unfair.

Your whole paragraph is incorrect and two minutes of research would have set you straight instead of a whole paragraph of misinformation.

zoroastar

organic wrote:
20 Mar 2023, 01:36
Once we get to the regular circuits checo will struggle more as we saw every year

Every year this narrative appears and it disappears again very quickly

This year "struggling more" may mean p2 rather than p4-p6 it was last year, but I don't expect his consistency to be up to scratch and he'll have faded by race 10 latest

It was a great drive but great drives don't win you championships

Also on subject of Alonso's starting alignment penalty:

wow, thats just sad. no wonder all these conspiracy theories pop up every year. feels like somebody didnt want alonso on the podium today

mendis
mendis

zoroastar wrote:
20 Mar 2023, 02:33
organic wrote:
20 Mar 2023, 01:36
Once we get to the regular circuits checo will struggle more as we saw every year

Every year this narrative appears and it disappears again very quickly

This year "struggling more" may mean p2 rather than p4-p6 it was last year, but I don't expect his consistency to be up to scratch and he'll have faded by race 10 latest

It was a great drive but great drives don't win you championships

Also on subject of Alonso's starting alignment penalty:

wow, thats just sad. no wonder all these conspiracy theories pop up every year. feels like somebody didnt want alonso on the podium today
I thought by firing Michael Masi, FIA fixed all the problems in the world. :lol:

CHT
CHT

chrisc90 wrote:
20 Mar 2023, 02:09
All being ‘normal’ this weekend and max being on the front row, what do people think he would have pulled on the others race pace wise? I heard F1TV boys saying the RB’s were a second ahead of Alonso and that was with Max coming through the field.

At the minute, I’d say the RB is a easy second faster than anyone else in race trim.
With RBR being the favorite, what F1 fans can really hope for now is Perez and Max to have a close fight for as long as possible.

1 Win, 1 second place and 1 pole each (max has 1 extra point for 1 fastest lap).
RBR = 2 perfect weekends of 1-2 finish

Max has been very consistent throughout last season, while Sergio was hits-and-misses.
I think we are likely to see the same this year.

Silent Storm
Silent Storm

Dee wrote:
20 Mar 2023, 02:22
ringo wrote:
RB told him to do 36.0 plus four, they told Max the same exact thing. Max didn't listen and they then said to Perez that he could push. RB did nothing wrong or nothing unfair.

Your whole paragraph is incorrect and two minutes of research would have set you straight instead of a whole paragraph of misinformation.
Don't bother... His aim was to spread misinformation. He is well known for it.
The cheapest sort of pride is national pride, every miserable fool who has nothing at all of which he can be proud adopts, as a last resource, pride in the nation to which he belongs; thus reimbursing himself for his own inferiority.

chrisc90

CHT wrote:
20 Mar 2023, 02:50
chrisc90 wrote:
20 Mar 2023, 02:09

With RBR being the favorite, what F1 fans can really hope for now is Perez and Max to have a close fight for as long as possible.

1 Win, 1 second place and 1 pole each (max has 1 extra point for 1 fastest lap).
RBR = 2 perfect weekends of 1-2 finish

Max has been very consistent throughout last season, while Sergio was hits-and-misses.
I think we are likely to see the same this year.
Agree. Very much the same this year. I think this year however the RB19 has the edge on anyone else, at the moment.

This is Perez season to throw away I think, especially 2nd place. I think Max will be comfortable in the lead, and likely smash new records/points this season given the extra races.

maseboogie
maseboogie

ringo wrote:
Quite the tabloid post here. :roll:

napoleon1981
napoleon1981

ringo wrote:
Is this a sky sports job application?

maseboogie
maseboogie

My two takes from this race (non-RB dominance related):

1) Yuki's thoroughly in the hot seat. He was firmly in the points for about 30-40 laps and then he let KMag pass him and never gave him a proper fight to get P10 back. With Gasly gone (and balling out in Alpine in back to back races) it was supposed to be Tsunoda's chance to shine at AT but he's pulling up with duds.

2) Milk carton: McLaren. Seriously, What. The. F***!? Fell from top-5 to not mentioned at all. Zak was beating his chest like King Kong before the season started (and when RB got hit with the breach in '22) but their cars are 4 wheels of molasses so far.

Mr5in1

Mr Alcatraz wrote:
20 Mar 2023, 00:53
maxxer wrote: some scottish women with totally nonsense about tires
I couldn't understand a word she was saying the whole freakin' race.....dawg!

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
She's Northern Irish, big difference in accent

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

It seems a little unjust that Lance Stroll's Mercedes PU failed, while the two teams are locked in a heated battle in the WDC and WCC.
A lion must kill its prey.

Mr Alcatraz

Mr5in1 wrote:
Mr Alcatraz wrote:
20 Mar 2023, 00:53
maxxer wrote: some scottish women with totally nonsense about tires
I couldn't understand a word she was saying the whole freakin' race.....dawg!

She's Northern Irish, big difference in accent
That's good to know. My point was; I couldn't understand a freakin' word she was saying....my man!

Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand