2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
organic

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

They are tempering expectations, but they're clearly happy about the progress that is being made. Alpine is 5th fastest at the moment and they were no more than 3 tenths per lap slower than Merc/Ferrari at Bahrain and Saudi respectively

So I can see why they are talking about fighting with the top 4 teams by the end of the season. It seems entirely plausible if they're very confident about the avenue of development that they have found, and believe there is lots of untapped potential (due to not getting onto this trajectory early enough)

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

organic wrote:
28 Mar 2023, 20:58
They are tempering expectations, but they're clearly happy about the progress that is being made.
Mercedes thought they had a 1.5 seconds upgrade once upon a time. We know how that ended. The Renault French GP upgrade....We know how that ended.

I simply think teams shouldn't make such open promises. "We will be 5th". "We will catch them at this race". It just creates frustration down the line upon undelivered expectations.
A lion must kill its prey.

RedNEO

Targeting moving goalposts is a recipe to look like a [insert Gunther catchphrase]. You’d think after Alpine kept harping on about staying 4th as their priority and it immediately exploding in their faces that teams like McLaren especially (still without a point on the board) wouldn’t set themselves up to look like that lol

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

RedNEO wrote:
28 Mar 2023, 21:38
Targeting moving goalposts is a recipe to look like a [insert Gunther catchphrase]. You’d think after Alpine kept harping on about staying 4th as their priority and it immediately exploding in their faces that teams like McLaren especially (still without a point on the board) wouldn’t set themselves up to look like that lol
Alpine not only talked about 4th, they flatout claimed they would be beating Alonso and AMR! That's definitely a case of eating humble pie.
A lion must kill its prey.

mwillems

organic wrote:
28 Mar 2023, 20:58
They are tempering expectations, but they're clearly happy about the progress that is being made. Alpine is 5th fastest at the moment and they were no more than 3 tenths per lap slower than Merc/Ferrari at Bahrain and Saudi respectively

So I can see why they are talking about fighting with the top 4 teams by the end of the season. It seems entirely plausible if they're very confident about the avenue of development that they have found, and believe there is lots of untapped potential (due to not getting onto this trajectory early enough)
Indeed, the team talk of a very aggressive path ahead that will be split across the upgrades during the season, starting with Baku. They seem confident that this can put them into the top 4. This remark is an explicit example of the teams belief that their development path is in their minds has a strong chance of being faster than other teams.

Lets face it, if the time we find is on the straights and we gain on average 3 tenths a lap then we will be moving towards a position of keeping pace with Mercedes, at least until their B Spec arrives.

But whether we end up as 4th fastest tea at seasons end is another matter entirely, everyone may still have low hanging fruit to pick, not just us.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

MTudor
MTudor

AR3-GP wrote:
28 Mar 2023, 20:33
Seerix wrote:
28 Mar 2023, 19:43
“When it comes to the Baku upgrade, we do see the numbers, which are promising,” Stella said. “It’s hopefully from sixth, it will allow us to be fifth.
“It’s not enough yet to achieve our objective for the season, which is to become a top-four car.
“This will require the Baku upgrade and we require another couple of upgrades following Baku on which we are working.”
https://www.motorsportweek.com/2023/03/ ... 23-target/

So do they assume Alpine won't bring upgrades for Baku? I can't understand this logic if proclaiming you will be "5th" and assuming everyone else is just standing still around you.
You don't have to understand it,they do!!!
Because they do all the calculations,all the work,so,you just sit back and relax.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

I'd be very surprised if the team is not taking into account potential developments of the other teams. They know from previous years what is the average development rate so they are expecting this Baku upgrade to be better than average upgrade other teams bring. Whether that will be true (McLaren upgrade being good and other upgrades not being as good) remains to be seen.

But don't think that the team does not understand that the others are developing their car as well.

mwillems

No but they don't know how much time they will find or if Mclaren will find more or less.

-Bandit

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

mwillems wrote:
29 Mar 2023, 08:19
No but they don't know how much time they will find or if Mclaren will find more or less.
Either way, targets have to be set, if they didn’t set targets, James Key would still be at McLaren. Whatever formula they use in determining that is beyond any of us. Let’s see how it pans out.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Has Peter Windsor always been such an awful analyst? His recent takes on McLaren, Lando, Oscar and Ricciardo have been atrocious, to put it mildly.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

mwillems

Ground Effect wrote:
29 Mar 2023, 09:18
mwillems wrote:
29 Mar 2023, 08:19
Either way, targets have to be set, if they didn’t set targets, James Key would still be at McLaren. Whatever formula they use in determining that is beyond any of us. Let’s see how it pans out.
Totally agree, it's just that as fans, it's OK to be optimistic but I suppose we have to bear in mind that things might not pan out the way we or the team want.

What is clear is that if they don't pan out the way the team want by the end of this year then the pressure is going to be high and the only thing that will hold some people back is the knowledge that the wind tunnel should help us do a better job and the chance for the new staff to make a difference.

But if we still don't deliver next year and the year after? I don't think there will be anywhere for this team to hide and that is that point that things might implode for the team.

But I am optimistic that we will progress, but in my mind I think we might be top 3 in 2 years, I'm not expecting more.

-Bandit

mwillems

Ground Effect wrote:
29 Mar 2023, 09:21
Has Peter Windsor always been such an awful analyst? His recent takes on McLaren, Lando, Oscar and Ricciardo have been atrocious, to put it mildly.
Agreed! He saw no issue with Ricciardo, thought it was a good line up and said it was the cars fault. It was no ones fault, the car didn't suit DR and the other way around, so we get someone for whom it does suit. Why on earth wouldn't you do that.

"Piastri might be faster than Lando, Lando might be making mistakes just because of the pressure from Piastri"
Well that isn't a problem, if Lando leaves we can get a number 2 and retain an even faster number 1! And if Lando is making mistakes due to pressure from a rookie driver, how will he be able to cope in a championship season. He needs pressure to develop and if he can't cope with pressure he will never be a number 1.

Honestly, what cr*p is Peter Windsor talking about.

Edit: Driver pairings in F1 are like the Sith Rule of Two from Star Wars! One to have the power, and one to crave it!

-Bandit

MTudor
MTudor

Ground Effect wrote:
His Ferrari a fan and he sees Max as the next Mesiah in F1 so....this is ur answer 😉

MTudor
MTudor

Edit: Driver pairings in F1 are like the Sith Rule of Two from Star Wars! One to have the power, and one to crave it!
[/quote]
Very good parallel 👏👏👏

proteus

Ground Effect wrote:
All u need to ask Mr. Windsor is where are Pure engines and US F1 Team 😉
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows