2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

AR3-GP wrote:
28 Mar 2023, 20:53
SmallSoldier wrote:
28 Mar 2023, 20:37
AR3-GP wrote:
28 Mar 2023, 20:33

So do they assume Alpine won't bring upgrades for Baku? I can't understand this logic if proclaiming you will be "5th" and assuming everyone else is just standing still around you.
Of they are accounting for a nominal improvement from the rest and their upgrade been good enough to match that improvement and exceed it?
Without having any insight whatsoever to upgrades of other teams, they cannot assume that a team behind them won't overtake them in Baku, nevermind moving forward...
I’m sure they have more insight than most of us… If they are making those statements is because they have run the numbers and that’s their expectation… You are the one wrongly assuming that they aren’t considering other team’s improvement, which would be to say the least naive on their behalf… This is not their first season in F1

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

SmallSoldier wrote:
29 Mar 2023, 16:59
AR3-GP wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
28 Mar 2023, 20:37

Of they are accounting for a nominal improvement from the rest and their upgrade been good enough to match that improvement and exceed it?
Without having any insight whatsoever to upgrades of other teams, they cannot assume that a team behind them won't overtake them in Baku, nevermind moving forward...
I’m sure they have more insight than most of us… If they are making those statements is because they have run the numbers and that’s their expectation… You are the one wrongly assuming that they aren’t considering other team’s improvement, which would be to say the least naive on their behalf… This is not their first season in F1
Mclaren don't know what other teams will bring to the table. It's not possible for them to know. I don't think this is controversial.
A lion must kill its prey.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

AR3-GP wrote:
29 Mar 2023, 17:12
SmallSoldier wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:

Mclaren don't know what other teams will bring to the table. It's not possible for them to know. I don't think this is controversial.
Obviously, they don't. But this is F1, it's a numbers sport, simulations, precision etc. When you're in that environment day in day out, season in season out, you get the general idea, it's data driven.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

AR3-GP wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:

They can make a very educated guess… Again, this is F1, people usually don’t bring 1 second upgrades to the track, there is a lot of history and data to make a good assumption on their behalf… Will the assumption be 100% accurate, most probably not, but they will be in the “ball park”, unless Alpine has found something great and haven’t told anyone about it.

Regardless, you are the one that is making an assertion that McLaren hasn’t consider other team’s potential improvement and I believe that is the wrong assumption since they know teams will, it isn’t their first season in F1… The gap to Alpine as it stands isn’t that big either, they were mixing it with them in terms of lap time.

We will find out soon enough if they were right or wrong.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Ground Effect wrote:
29 Mar 2023, 17:23
AR3-GP wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

Obviously, they don't. But this is F1, it's a numbers sport, simulations, precision etc. When you're in that environment day in day out, season in season out, you get the general idea, it's data driven.
Yes and as I said elsewhere, Mercedes thought they had a 1.5 seconds upgrade. We know how that went.

I didn't mean for this to become more than a footnote. Probably a pet peeve of mine more than anything, when a team proclaims they will be leapfrogging another team as if everyone is standing still. I don't have much more to say on it.

RedNEO

AR3-GP wrote:
28 Mar 2023, 22:40
RedNEO wrote:
28 Mar 2023, 21:38
Targeting moving goalposts is a recipe to look like a [insert Gunther catchphrase]. You’d think after Alpine kept harping on about staying 4th as their priority and it immediately exploding in their faces that teams like McLaren especially (still without a point on the board) wouldn’t set themselves up to look like that lol
Alpine not only talked about 4th, they flatout claimed they would be beating Alonso and AMR! That's definitely a case of eating humble pie.
Exactly. Alonso just kept his head down and let the results do the talking.

PhillipM
PhillipM

Alpine looked nowhere near that already it was commentators hyping them up on PR chatter.

Ben1980
Ben1980

As far as I'm aware, Mclaren are the only team to have openly admitted they canned work on the car they are using. Which would assume the cars other teams have, is what they worked on all the way through. So, as a guess, you would think Mclaren have more to add just from being behind in comparison.

Now if a team have worked on their current car and a big upgrade aswell, that's impressive and seemingly a massive waste of resources.

I could be wrong.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Ben1980 wrote:
29 Mar 2023, 19:34
As far as I'm aware, Mclaren are the only team to have openly admitted they canned work on the car they are using. Which would assume the cars other teams have, is what they worked on all the way through. So, as a guess, you would think Mclaren have more to add just from being behind in comparison.

Now if a team have worked on their current car and a big upgrade aswell, that's impressive and seemingly a massive waste of resources.

I could be wrong.
True, but there's no guarantee that a massive upgrade works. Mercedes is a high profile reminder of this.

mwillems

AR3-GP wrote:
29 Mar 2023, 19:48
Ben1980 wrote:

I could be wrong.
True, but there's no guarantee that a massive upgrade works. Mercedes is a high profile reminder of this.
Who knows. You are right to caution, but Aston Martins 2020 Sidepods are an example of a car getting a big wedge of time from one upgrade, so it can go both ways, or sit somewhere in the middle! lol
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Stig14
Stig14

AR3-GP wrote:
28 Mar 2023, 22:40
RedNEO wrote:
28 Mar 2023, 21:38
Targeting moving goalposts is a recipe to look like a [insert Gunther catchphrase]. You’d think after Alpine kept harping on about staying 4th as their priority and it immediately exploding in their faces that teams like McLaren especially (still without a point on the board) wouldn’t set themselves up to look like that lol
Alpine not only talked about 4th, they flatout claimed they would be beating Alonso and AMR! That's definitely a case of eating humble pie.
As we saw last year with the Piastri contract saga, Alpine aren't very good at keeping their heads down when they're wrong!

Ben1980
Ben1980

AR3-GP wrote:
Ben1980 wrote:

I could be wrong.
Obviously. But, the team seemingly ha e the data to show it will work better than what they did have. It may not be enough for the forum warriors mind.

MTudor
MTudor

At least we now have 2 drivers that can offer imput to develope the car,not just one.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Ben1980 wrote:
29 Mar 2023, 22:01
AR3-GP wrote:
Ben1980 wrote:

I could be wrong.
Obviously. But, the team seemingly ha e the data to show it will work better than what they did have. It may not be enough for the forum warriors mind.
The Mclaren upgrade is likely to be an improvement. I do believe that. I'm just more cautious as to whether it will change their position in the pecking order because there are many outside factors. That's all I wanted to get across. Not a big deal in the end. Whatever is going to happen, will happen regardless of what I think.

djos

MTudor wrote:
29 Mar 2023, 22:15
At least we now have 2 drivers that can offer imput to develope the car,not just one.
It seems to me that one reason Key was sent packing was that he was ignoring both Lando and Riccardo’s pleas for a car that did what they wanted. Both were begging for a much stronger front end.

The difference was that Lando could still get speed from the weak front end and Daniel couldn’t.
Last edited by djos on 30 Mar 2023, 08:31, edited 1 time in total.
"In downforce we trust"